Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2017 | 10:09 AM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
Let's get back to the Road Glide instead of all these Road King comparisons. As I said, you'll notice the weight at first but with the miles, you'll get accustomed to it. I'm guessing the low speed stuff will be harder, but really, it's just exaggerating the things you do wrong. My RGS has made me a much better rider actually by really forcing me to pay more attention to the basics of slow speed maneuvers due to that higher center of gravity.

Also, not sure where you're going with the hands comment above. On longer trips, I have no issue taking my hands off the bars to stretch at stops, even while standing up and even opening my bags to grab a different set of gloves or putting my gloves away. It should be known that you need to balance the weight out even in the bags, on a luggage rack or even in a tour pack. If you can't let go of the bars without dropping the bike, something is wrong with how the bike is loaded or your balance.

I agree that the stock seat makes you sit up, rather than in like the Softail. I came from a Night Train to the RGS. I put a C&C solo on the RGS which dropped me about 1.5" and put me back about 1.5". It took away that "on top" feel.
I was only mentioning the Road King because that's the only touring bike I owned. I also figured if I thought that was top heavy the Road Glide would have to be worse? That's why I mentioned it. If you can stop and let go to get something out of your luggage rack on the Road Glide maybe its way more Balanced then the CVO Road King I had. Because that bike didn't feel like I could get away with doing that!

I think another issue I would have with the Road Glide would be once I get home my driveway is steep on both sides up and down the other to the garage and its modify stone. so its really hard to back up, turn around and maneuver in that hilly driveway with 2 inch deep gravel.

Old 08-29-2017 | 12:52 PM
Dan28
Road Master

My Street Glide actually handles better than my Wide Glide. That is most likely due to the fact of the shorter wheel base and greater lean angle. My Wide Glide has mini floor boards on it that limits its lean angle. I don't really notice the added weight of my SG. I've been riding my Street Glide a lot more now, but that's mainly because it is the new bike. I commute 17 miles into downtown St. Louis daily and both bikes are more than capable with that. I've had both bikes on gravel as well. Though I didn't really plan for it on the Street Glide, GPS took me some weird places out near The Cherohala Skyway, but it took the gravel in stride.

Old 08-29-2017 | 01:15 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I was only mentioning the Road King because that's the only touring bike I owned. I also figured if I thought that was top heavy the Road Glide would have to be worse? That's why I mentioned it. If you can stop and let go to get something out of your luggage rack on the Road Glide maybe its way more Balanced then the CVO Road King I had. Because that bike didn't feel like I could get away with doing that!

I think another issue I would have with the Road Glide would be once I get home my driveway is steep on both sides up and down the other to the garage and its modify stone. so its really hard to back up, turn around and maneuver in that hilly driveway with 2 inch deep gravel.
IMHO - Strongly believe what you are asking would be better answered by test riding several bikes. As words cannot deify actual experiences.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo (stage II)
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

The following users liked this post:
metalb00 (08-30-2017)
Old 08-29-2017 | 06:25 PM
beanoboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Just got my 06 R.G. and it is so easy to ride ! Only time I feel the weight is when backing out the garage ! Lovely ride...b.

Old 08-29-2017 | 06:32 PM
xungan
Advanced

Bought a '17 Road Glide Special after having a Street Bob for a few years. Fixed fairing doesn't bother me and it handles Better than my Street bob did. Use it to commute to work (30 miles one way) and love it. Good combo of back roads/Highway riding to get a bit of each kind of experience

Use the stock bars on mine, as they keep my hands where they need to be!

Finding whats comfortable is key, for me it worked out with only a small learning curve.

Ride Safe!

Old 08-29-2017 | 09:01 PM
goldie
Tourer

I'm on a 15 RGS coming off 125k miles on a 99 RKC. I'm a little guy at 5'9' 165lbs. The RGS seemed and is heavier but I think you just learn how to make it work because the rest of the ride is so outstanding................goldie :-)

Old 08-29-2017 | 09:41 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior

touring bikes are not for local quick trip. Just the way it is. Get a dyna

Old 08-30-2017 | 12:12 PM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member

Just dont stop or go slow at all and you will be fine!!

Lolol

Old 08-30-2017 | 12:59 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by oakmossy
touring bikes are not for local quick trip. Just the way it is. Get a dyna
Really looking hard at either the New Road King Special Or the new 2018 Fatboy. The Road Glide definitely intrigues me but for the short local riding I do I thing it would be too much. I actually love the way the Road Glide Special looks especially with a set of black apes. And it would be nice to have a stereo system to tinker with and listen too. I use to love messing with stereos and systems with subwoofers in my cars and I would love to with a bike as well. I think the Road Glide would be great for that. I just think for my driveway setup and deep gravel that builds up by my Garage it would be a hard bike to maneuver there!

Old 08-30-2017 | 01:00 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned
Veteran: Air Force

All my riding is on touring bikes and wouldn't have it any other way. Currently a Road Glide and a Road King. I have been on some of the most insane routes that I wished I was on a dirt bike.

The following users liked this post:
metalb00 (08-30-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?