Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017 | 03:32 PM
RGlideryder
Advanced

I am a 60 year old man weighing in at 145 lbs. with a 2017 Road Glide. Had Fat Boys, Street Glides, now riding the Road Glide to bike nights and locally around town and our part of the Appalachian Mnts. and love every minute of it. Don't really think about the weight. Everyone talks about the "fixed" faring vs. the Bat Wing never really turns except in the parking lots, on the road the bike and faring lean together.

Old 08-28-2017 | 03:44 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by seanl
This!

I have no problem running errands around town on my 'stripper' Road King.

I spent 20 years riding FXRs prior to the RK and while the FXR feels lighter and is more nimble, the Road King is just as easy to ride and is way more comfortable to me.
I look at it a versatile scoot, good for town & country, buuuuut it really likes the long rides at 75 - 80 mph. tank to tank riding IMHO.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo (stage II)
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to ride in the rain. WDB

Old 08-28-2017 | 03:54 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by B Bop
That's funny, as my riding bud has a SG & I have a RK and I always need to slow down when passing 18 wheelers as he has the wind buffering the crap out of his scoot shaking steering uncontrollably, my RK is steady as a arrow, possibly because my thin windshield flexes without causing over steering my scoot.

B Bop
Must be something with him or the bike because mine doesn't do that. Neither did my 09 standard. I just got back from a 4000k trip around trucks all the time.

Old 08-28-2017 | 04:04 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by todd-67
Must be something with him or the bike because mine doesn't do that. Neither did my 09 standard. I just got back from a 4000k trip around trucks all the time.
It has him soooo spooked he is trading it in on a 2018 Road Glide.

Never rode his scoot, buuuuut you should see his face after buzzing by a few 18 wheelers OMG!!! Its a 2015 if that makes a difference or not.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo (stage II)
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.

Old 08-28-2017 | 04:11 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by usher96
My King as a rule, never sees the highway. In my humble opinion it handles very well in most cases. If pressed to say anything negative, that would have to be when coming to a final stop at times. However I feel this has more to do with the vertical attitude of the machine at that defining moment. Please correct me if I am wrong but this seems more like an issue with rider ability or the fact that my boots do not touch the pavement until late in the maneuver.
Mike
Yeah.. I never had any ridding issues with my 2014 CVO Road King it was mainly as you said when I came to a stop. It just felt really unbalanced and flip floppy top heavy. And I'm 6ft..Like you have to hold the handle bars all the time or it will fall sideways. Softails you can come to a stop and let your arms go and relax just holding the bike with your legs.

Old 08-28-2017 | 04:11 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain

My Road King goes everywhere with me. I don't notice the weight anymore.

GM

Old 08-28-2017 | 05:32 PM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member

Only own one bike so I ride it everywhere. You'll notice the extra weight at first but it'll fade with some seat time.

Old 08-28-2017 | 05:35 PM
riff raff
Cruiser

My RG is a local bomber, a grocery getter, and a long distance tourer. It's my motorcycle and I love riding it. The only thing I am careful about is not parking in a situation where I'll have to back it up a hill. I can do it, but I'd rather not.

Old 08-28-2017 | 05:38 PM
Zakk13
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by riff raff
My RG is a local bomber, a grocery getter, and a long distance tourer. It's my motorcycle and I love riding it. The only thing I am careful about is not parking in a situation where I'll have to back it up a hill. I can do it, but I'd rather not.
That's what I miss about my 2014 CVO Road King was the bags and being able to run to the store and stuff. Pretty convenient.

Old 08-28-2017 | 06:17 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer

Never really understood the thought process of a touring bike not working for short rides. Heck they are much smaller than any car and car drivers don't have any issues.

The following users liked this post:
metalb00 (08-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?