Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017 | 01:34 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

I ride my 2017 RGU to town 23 miles round trip. 3 miles to grandma's and 4000 miles plus on a trip use it for what ever I feel like doing. It clearly not stamped highway only.

Old 08-28-2017 | 02:03 PM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1890jd
Not sure I will ever understand putting your hands up into the wind on a touring machine. Plus big apes on a touring bike look corny to me. Maybe I'm just not hip enough.
Comfort trumps Looks ..... nothing to do with being cool

Old 08-28-2017 | 02:18 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Zakk13
Just Curious how many people buy RoadGlides or any other touring model just too ride around there local area? I see a lot on the roads where I live lately with ape hangers ripping around town and on the back roads.

How do they handle with that fixed fairing? Do they feel Top heavy? Just curious. Ive always been a Softail guy. I did buy a 2014 CVO Road King but could never get used to sitting high and the Top heavy unbalanced feel of the bike. So I traded it in after a year.. Id love to get a bike like the RoadGlide Special and have the convenience of bags and everything else or maybe even the RoadKing Special But just fear it would be Heavy like my 2014 King and not good for just riding around my local area. I don't take big long touring trips.
FYI - Your fat boy is 730lbs., Road king is 826lbs., Street Glide is 830lbs., Road Glide is 853lbs.

It's about personal preference, & what you can handle comfortably.

I just saw a video the other day on YouTube of a 100lb chick riding a dresser down the highway doing a full wheel stand at 50mph standing on the seat lol.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo (stage II)
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down “your” life for his country.

Old 08-28-2017 | 02:22 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

I have a SG and a road king. I ride them both around town but the king sees more city driving while the SG sees more highway.

Old 08-28-2017 | 02:26 PM
metalb00
Advanced

i had a 12 roadglide and it handled great!! everything was awesome cept the lack of storage and power compared to the victory but they fixed the power issue on the m8 bikes!!

Old 08-28-2017 | 02:34 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by todd-67
I have a SG and a road king. I ride them both around town but the king sees more city driving while the SG sees more highway.
That's funny, as my riding bud has a SG & I have a RK and I always need to slow down when passing 18 wheelers as he has the wind buffering the crap out of his scoot shaking steering uncontrollably, my RK is steady as a arrow, possibly because my thin windshield flexes without causing over steering my scoot.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo (stage II)
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Old 08-28-2017 | 03:14 PM
usher96
Cruiser

My King as a rule, never sees the highway. In my humble opinion it handles very well in most cases. If pressed to say anything negative, that would have to be when coming to a final stop at times. However I feel this has more to do with the vertical attitude of the machine at that defining moment. Please correct me if I am wrong but this seems more like an issue with rider ability or the fact that my boots do not touch the pavement until late in the maneuver.
Mike

Old 08-28-2017 | 03:18 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Zakk13
I did buy a 2014 CVO Road King but could never get used to sitting high and the Top heavy unbalanced feel of the bike. So I traded it in after a year.. Id love to get a bike like the RoadGlide Special and have the convenience of bags and everything else or maybe even the RoadKing Special But just fear it would be Heavy like my 2014 King and not good for just riding around my local area.
the touring bikes all share the same common 'base'. the roadglide custom is nothing more than a roadking with 12'' shocks and a fixed fairing on the front end. same with the streetglide, except that the fairing is fork mounted.

if you didn't like the king, you won't like the street, or roadglides either.

for just local rides, and not touring, I would stick with the softy.

Old 08-28-2017 | 03:25 PM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer

Ride my Street Glide everywhere, local and long distance. As for the apes they are about me being comfortable, to each his own.

Old 08-28-2017 | 03:25 PM
seanl
Road Master

Originally Posted by Veekness
I use my Street Glide for everything, from running an errand to the local grocery store, to riding only four or five hundred miles. The weight doesn't concern me much, and I find it baffling that anybody would be twitterpated about using any touring bike locally, although you're right, OP...you see a lotta concerns on this forum about that issue. You can either handle the bike or you can't. If you can't, then find something you CAN handle!
This!

I have no problem running errands around town on my 'stripper' Road King.

I spent 20 years riding FXRs prior to the RK and while the FXR feels lighter and is more nimble, the Road King is just as easy to ride and is way more comfortable to me.

Quick Reply: Anyone buy a RoadGlide as a local cruising bike?