Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No start - Blinkers flash-no PIN

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts
Default No start - Blinkers flash-no PIN

Looking for some help here guys...

2008 road glide. Bike won't start all of the sudden. Blinkers flash back and forth (alarm) so I assumed its not recognizing the key fob and thinks I'm trying to steal it.

Google says new fob battery and I'd be all set...nope.

Same thing. So it wasn't a dead fob battery.

I just bought the bike and the previous owner didn't write down a PIN anywhere (besides the fact that when I do the procedure to even try to type in a PIN, it stays on the odometer, so doesn't even let me get that far anyway.)

So...wont start...alarm is on...no PIN...no PIN screen...now what??

Old 08-28-2017, 11:41 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,377 Likes on 2,547 Posts

are you putting the battery in correctly? seems that a large percentage of errors are caused by the fob battery being put in upside down.

if that's the case, once you get the bike started, go through your manual and learn the procedure for changing your pin code.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:48 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
are you putting the battery in correctly? seems that a large percentage of errors are caused by the fob battery being put in upside down.

if that's the case, once you get the bike started, go through your manual and learn the procedure for changing your pin code.
What he said....

Old 08-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

Battery is in correctly

Old 08-28-2017, 12:29 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Puglia10
Battery is in correctly
Then check the contacts, to make sure they are not bent.

Your correctly assuming that the turn signals going off are a sign that the bike is not recognizing the FOB.
#1 reason is a low battery

And if it isn't because the battery is upside down, then check for other interference (cell phone is same pocket as FOB, etc).
Place the FOB in the middle of the seat (Security Module is just below seat).

Also, keep in mind that you won't be able to enter a PIN as long as the alarm is going off (turn signals flashing).

You need to let the bike sit still long enough for that to subside, and then not move the bike in the process of entering the code.
Any movement and the alarm will begin flashing and prevent the PIN from being entered.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:40 PM
fordhd2005
Road Master
Received 165 Likes on 121 Posts

It's possible you have a bad fob. With the fob present, if it was working, it will allow you to change the PIN. However, sometimes that freaking thing or the security system itself can be temperamental. On my 09, over the past 7 years I've experienced the same thing your describing a few times. It eventually started though by just turning on and off the switch a few times and waiting a minute or so between each cycle. There's not an exact procedure to this other than being patient and persistent. After each time it happened to me, it could be a year or two before it happened again. Good luck!

Old 08-28-2017, 01:18 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

the fob worked the day before though, and now isnt working even with a new battery.
ugh.
is there a way to disable (without the PIN) or unplug the security stuff altogether?

I'd rather just lock the bike up then deal with this faulty alarm BS.
good thing it happened in my driveway and not a few states away. Need the bike this weekend for a trip, hope I can figure it out and it wont leave me stranded!

Old 08-29-2017, 05:40 PM
rgrecco
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

If you get the FOB working to change your by-pass code:

with the KILL SWITCH **OFF**

Cycle the Ignition ON-OFF-ON-OFF-ON

Left Turn Signal 3x

Right Turn Signal 1x

you have to do this in less then 2 seconds... if you do it right your current code should be on the odometer and the first number flashing... use the LEFT and RIGHT signals to change and advance.

Once you are done turn the ignition OFF to save the change.

RON

Old 11-25-2019, 11:57 AM
Kevlarcutter
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same problem with my 09 FLHTC a few weeks ago.
I was going to move it into basement through the LARGE sliding door.
Bike had flashing RED key symbol for security And signals would alternate left-right, for a minute.

I replaced the FOB battery with a NEW one, right off. To no avail, it still persisted.

I found multiple references to bikes of this vintage and problems. I tried every one I found. Nada.
The bike battery was good, and holding voltage with the trickle charger. I ran the hi-beam for about 10 minutes, to load the battery without charger, and it was still about 11.5 volts.
So, just for ***** and giggles, I decided to check the voltage of the NEW battery I'd recently put in the FOB.
It read 2.6VDC... :/

I put another NEW one in that read 3.3VDC. I went and pulled the 40 Amp master fuse and waited a couple minutes, and reinserted.
The bike started right up.

Moral of the story is, ALWAYS check voltage on batteries before using them.
I should have known better, having been in the electronics field for over 40 years.
I guess I *** U MEd a "new" battery would be good. Guess I was wrong.

Oh, yeah. The reason I'm putting the ride away is I live in SE Iowa. And 6 months is the most that you'll have "comfortable" riding available here.

Have fun, and live to ride another day!

Last edited by Kevlarcutter; 11-25-2019 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Error
The following users liked this post:
tankermac100 (03-10-2020)
Old 11-25-2019, 03:31 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default FOB Batteries

I have bought new fob batteries, from a HD dealer and the were NFG out of the package. Go to a batteries plus or some where that sells a lot of batteries to make sure you get fresh ones. Also you can check them with a multimeter but you can't simulate load, so it may check good without a load but be flat once installed in the fob.
Since you bought the bike used, go to the dealer and order a new owners manual, and in the manual there is a card to tear out and carry it in your wallet that shows how to enter your code and a place to write your code so you don't forget it. I know for sure the maintenance manual shows you how to find out what code it currently installed and how to change it.

Quick Reply: No start - Blinkers flash-no PIN