Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Heel Of Drivers Floorboards

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2017, 03:36 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Lowering Heel Of Drivers Floorboards

I've started to develop some "old man" knee and hip issues. Rode a couple of hundred miles today and got to thinking that if the heel of my floorboards were 3/4" to an 1" lower that it might be more comfortable for me.
I've seen the "Tallboy" 2"+ drop kits but feel that they may be too much for a 5' 10" rider with 30" inseams.
Did a search but did not find a solution. Wanted to ask before I try to reinvent the wheel.

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 08-24-2017 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:40 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Highway pegs to rest your dogs are no help? There are also floor board extensions that'll widen your stance. There's also heel kickers that slide out of the floor board to widen a stance as well. I don't know much about lowering the boards... personally, I wouldn't want to reduce my lean angle.

Good luck!!

Old 08-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Honey-Badger
Highway pegs to rest your dogs are no help? There are also floor board extensions that'll widen your stance. There's also heel kickers that slide out of the floor board to widen a stance as well. I don't know much about lowering the boards... personally, I wouldn't want to reduce my lean angle.

Good luck!!
Thanks, I have the widening kit installed but that doesn't change height. Taller seat "might-could" help...... but then I will need a taller LRS. Oh, boy here we go again!

The following users liked this post:
Honey-Badger (08-23-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 03:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Can the boards on recent bikes be raised at the front? My ole lady has three options IIRC, which could achieve a similar improvement in foot angle.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:01 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Perhaps the most comfortable mod I have ever made to any bike is installing Cyclesmith Banana Boards. I have the longest made at something like 21 3/4" and super comfortable. Not cheap but so worth the price. Between those and highway pegs I have so many placement options that I rarely get tied up in any one position.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Perhaps the most comfortable mod I have ever made to any bike is installing Cyclesmith Banana Boards. I have the longest made at something like 21 3/4" and super comfortable. Not cheap but so worth the price. Between those and highway pegs I have so many placement options that I rarely get tied up in any one position.
Thanks for that, I've never come across them before. Unfortunately they don't seem to have a photo of a set installed on a bike, do you have a photo of yours, by any chance?

Old 08-24-2017, 05:21 AM
CJeep
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

The Tallboy brackets made a huge difference for me in the comfort department. I even spaced them out 1", even though they don't recommend that. Aside from lowering it all, the lowering of the back half - its about an inch does make a difference, at least for me.

I'm 6' 3", 33" inseam. Also on a police bike, with the higher seat.

Never had a clearance issue, but I don't ride super hard, but I do practice tight turns and weaves.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:57 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Thanks for that, I've never come across them before. Unfortunately they don't seem to have a photo of a set installed on a bike, do you have a photo of yours, by any chance?
Here ya go. Doesn't quite show the banana shape which helps with the comfort but hopefully the idea can be imagined. Sorry but having a problem uploading new pics.

The following users liked this post:
grbrown (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 06:18 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Here ya go. Doesn't quite show the banana shape which helps with the comfort but hopefully the idea can be imagined. Sorry but having a problem uploading new pics.
Looks good - many thanks for posting.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:50 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

How is it for putting your feet down? Does your ankles hit the boards?

Quick Reply: Lowering Heel Of Drivers Floorboards