Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Special vs. Road Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Road Glide Special vs. Road Glide Ultra

I'm getting a new bike.

Let me preface this with saying my wife and I demoed a Street Glide Special and a Road Glide Special yesterday and we loved the Road Glide. She did get a chance to sit on the back of an Electra Glide Ultra Classic and loved it. I had ridden my dad's Electra Glide UC he has back in the day which was the 96ci version and I'm just not a fan of the extra weight and top heaviness. But...

We're planning on going on some longer trips from Eastern WV to places like New Orleans, Milwaukee, FL, Maine, and everywhere in between. Maybe even a trip to Sturgis. Of course, these are not going to be the norm. I'll be riding it to work when the weather is above freezing and it's not pouring down rain as well as weekend trips so only may 30% of the time I'll even have a passenger.

Here's where I'm looking for some insight. I like the RGS better. I like the 19" front wheel, not having a touring pack on there full time, the shorter windscreen, the lower suspension, and the bike in general when compared to the Ultra. I think she would be happier on the Ultra but my original inclination would to get her a good backrest or the detachable tour pack. She's telling me to get the bike I'm comfortable with and that makes me happy. The downside is that with the add on tour pack and few extras I'd need to turn the RGS into almost an RGU, I could have already bought the RGU. Of course, I can get the detach kit for the RGU, lower it, get a different windscreen and wheels as well.

Has anyone done anything similar with either of these bikes and what's your experiences? So long range two up touring with an RGS or stripping down and RGU so it's not as cumbersome.

Also, I have a Softail Deuce that I use, but it's not really comfortable for rides over 150 miles. It's great at around town and just riding in the surrounding areas. I'm not selling it and in fact I'll be doing more mods.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Conventional wisdom around these parts is that it is easier to mod an Ultra to a Special than the other ways around. You can make the tourpak qd and have as many seats as you like, to swap from solo to duo. The taller shocks of an Ultra will give you a better ride 2-up. The looks of a lower bike mean nothing IMHO when the bike is not moving! It will look as if it has the short shocks on it as soon as you sit on it - except you won't be able to see that, so don't get distracted from making the most of the riding experience. Both bikes will benefit from aftermarket suspension at both ends.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

I bought the 2015 RGS and had to turn it into the Ultra basically because they didn't offer the RGU that year. It's spendy to make the RGS an ultra. You gotta decide. Yeah, I like the looks of the RGS better, but I would have rather bought the RGU. It's personal though.

A nice compromise would be a nice backrest and a good bag to put on back. Many nice ones to buy that are large enough travel.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,481 Likes on 761 Posts

We tour lots on our RGS and we like our Tour bag that slips over the sissybar . There were changes needed to the stock bike to make the wife happy.
1,seat, stock is no good for two up
2,foot boards, much more comfortable for her
3,back rest, must have
4,larger windscreen, optional. so may factors to consider.
5,shocks

With those changes made, some will say I should of just got a RGU. No response is necessary, I set up my bike like I wanted, its the way we like it.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:28 AM
leftyjm
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force
Received 413 Likes on 279 Posts

RGS
Read my signature

Old 08-21-2017, 09:34 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Happy wife, happy...something. I forget the rest.

I'd vote for stripping down the Ultra.

The following users liked this post:
grumble (08-26-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 09:40 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the RGU is the way to go for you. Your biggest issues are easily and inexpensively addressed. Add a QD tourpack kit, see if you can get it thrown in on the deal. I'm sure you can find a take-off RGS windshield and a take-off RG/SG seat for solo riding on here, ebay, or your local HOG chapter (I have found a few parts on the cheap via my chapter).

Things like the wheels, painted inner fairing, and stance are gravy and can always be added in the future.

But the real advantage of the RGU is the water-cooled motor. I love my '15 UC, but a piece of me lusts after an LTD with the wet-heads.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:42 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

I will say this: When I bought my Deuce, I started removing all the extra parts the PO had put on it. I like a more simple look. I think this choice may be form over function though.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
I think the RGU is the way to go for you. Your biggest issues are easily and inexpensively addressed. Add a QD tourpack kit, see if you can get it thrown in on the deal. I'm sure you can find a take-off RGS windshield and a take-off RG/SG seat for solo riding on here, ebay, or your local HOG chapter (I have found a few parts on the cheap via my chapter).

Things like the wheels, painted inner fairing, and stance are gravy and can always be added in the future.

But the real advantage of the RGU is the water-cooled motor. I love my '15 UC, but a piece of me lusts after an LTD with the wet-heads.
The 2017 M8 RGS isn't water cooled? I thought they all were.

Old 08-21-2017, 09:46 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

I agree the Ultra is the cheaper way to go. Heck, you might even get the dealer to throw in the detach conversion for free as part of the deal.

The one caveat is I do like the rear fender/lights of the Special over the Ultra.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Special vs. Road Glide Ultra