Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Special vs. Road Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 08:57 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Well, special it is. The new ones are bad ***. The price is not so much, but I don't like the idea of being confined to using the lowers 100% of the time. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 08-24-2017, 09:06 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

It's all about style vs performance. I'm a style kind of guy and love the look of the specials. Hey, these are expensive bikes, it's not like we are buying a Harley for economy. We should get what we want for the price of a Honda Accord.

I bought an 09 SG and added the seat, lowers and tourpack. Now a few bikes later, I own a Ultra Limited. It is soooooooo much more comfortable than my SG out of the box. But, I miss the style enough that I am seriously considering trading my Limited for a RGS and adding the Lowers, seat, TP, shocks and windshield. The only thing holding me back at the moment are the wetheads. I sure would like to keep those.

I don't envy your sleepless nights in making a decision. But if you have the funds to purchase one of the most expensive bikes on the market, then what's a little extra to make style more comfortable.

Thanks for showing those turn signals, Ssitruc. I have not seen those and they look better than the ones on the saddlebag lids.

Beary

Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by beary
It's all about style vs performance. I'm a style kind of guy and love the look of the specials. Hey, these are expensive bikes, it's not like we are buying a Harley for economy. We should get what we want for the price of a Honda Accord.

I bought an 09 SG and added the seat, lowers and tourpack. Now a few bikes later, I own a Ultra Limited. It is soooooooo much more comfortable than my SG out of the box. But, I miss the style enough that I am seriously considering trading my Limited for a RGS and adding the Lowers, seat, TP, shocks and windshield. The only thing holding me back at the moment are the wetheads. I sure would like to keep those.

I don't envy your sleepless nights in making a decision. But if you have the funds to purchase one of the most expensive bikes on the market, then what's a little extra to make style more comfortable.

Thanks for showing those turn signals, Ssitruc. I have not seen those and they look better than the ones on the saddlebag lids.

Beary
For the price comment, I meant the difference between the 17s and 18s. Almost $4,000 difference between the specials.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:28 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
For the price comment, I meant the difference between the 17s and 18s. Almost $4,000 difference between the specials.
I wasn't responding to your post, I agree the $4,000 is crazy.

I'm just speaking in the general high cost of a Harley. What's a couple more thousand to get exactly what you want when paying nearly $30000 for the bike anyway.

Beary

Old 08-24-2017, 10:40 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,601 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
A nice compromise would be a nice backrest and a good bag to put on back. Many nice ones to buy that are large enough travel.
This is your best bet if tour long trips are infrequent. I have a Kury bag that holds more than a tour pack. T-Bags makes similar stuff.
The Harley 4-point quick disconnect, back rest and luggage rack will make your RGS into an RGU for those long trips. Oh, and a comfortable seat for your wife...

Last edited by Joe12RK; 08-24-2017 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:47 AM
L88
Road Captain
Received 299 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by sixguns
We tour lots on our RGS and we like our Tour bag that slips over the sissybar . There were changes needed to the stock bike to make the wife happy.
1,seat, stock is no good for two up
2,foot boards, much more comfortable for her
3,back rest, must have
4,larger windscreen, optional. so may factors to consider.
5,shocks

With those changes made, some will say I should of just got a RGU. No response is necessary, I set up my bike like I wanted, its the way we like it.

Same here on the mods but love the stock windscreen. We tour a couple 5000 mile round trips a year. Wife loves the setup. Rear shocks and Seat are a must.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by L88
Same here on the mods but love the stock windscreen. We tour a couple 5000 mile round trips a year. Wife loves the setup. Rear shocks and Seat are a must.
I was more than happy with the stock windscreen. I don't want anything I have to look at from behind the screen instead of over top of it like the stock one.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:08 AM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Wet Heads

Sorry to burst anybody's bubble but the RGS has the oil cooled heads. It doesn't come with lowers so you can add those if you want that protection in winter and they are removable in summer. There is also a fan cooled oil cooler for when you're in traffic.
There are both advantages and disadvantages to each bike, depending on your perspective. If you want a tour pack, it is cheaper to buy the Ultra. I haven't seen the pricing on the 2018s but with the 17s, it was cheaper to buy the Ultra than to add the tour pack afterwards. After all the purchases for the tour pack, lighting, removable quick disconnect hardware, back rest speakers, intercom, etc.
I now ride a RGS, and came from an RGU, and I like the way the special handles much more than the ultra. I will probably slowly add the tour pack and some of the accessories, but it will never be on the bike full time ever again.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Sorry to burst anybody's bubble but the RGS has the oil cooled heads. It doesn't come with lowers so you can add those if you want that protection in winter and they are removable in summer. There is also a fan cooled oil cooler for when you're in traffic.
There are both advantages and disadvantages to each bike, depending on your perspective. If you want a tour pack, it is cheaper to buy the Ultra. I haven't seen the pricing on the 2018s but with the 17s, it was cheaper to buy the Ultra than to add the tour pack afterwards. After all the purchases for the tour pack, lighting, removable quick disconnect hardware, back rest speakers, intercom, etc.
I now ride a RGS, and came from an RGU, and I like the way the special handles much more than the ultra. I will probably slowly add the tour pack and some of the accessories, but it will never be on the bike full time ever again.
There's like $200 difference in the 2018s.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:37 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

From a RGU owner 4 of them and 1 RG. Go with the RGU. more of what you need for Touring and in the cost less than try to turn you RG into one latter. Also the RGU rides better with the full length shocks and a real seat.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Special vs. Road Glide Ultra