Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Special vs. Road Glide Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 09:50 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
The 2017 M8 RGS isn't water cooled? I thought they all were.
Unfortunately not. Only the RGU, the Ultra Limited, and CVOs are water cooled. Everything else (Ultra Classic, RG/SG regular and special, RK) is air cooled.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:02 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
Unfortunately not. Only the RGU, the Ultra Limited, and CVOs are water cooled. Everything else (Ultra Classic, RG/SG regular and special, RK) is air cooled.
Then can you take the lowers off of the ultra or are they like the Rushmore where they're used to hide the radiators.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

I did the 16 RGU and I ride without the tour pack except for long trips or 2-up riding. When I went to do the "detach" or "quick connect" kit for the tour pack I was able to get the dealer to trade some stuff out. For instance, I wanted the hidden antenna instead of the antenna that mounts to the rear of bike, also I wanted the rear turn signals that fit in the slots, rather than the ones that clipped to the bags (just personal preferences). The dealer gave me full retail credit for the two items I was switching out, because they are also sold separately(although in prettier packaging than how they come in the kit), and then I paid the difference for the two items I wanted. I have had zero issue with the hidden antenna. I even added the CB with a hidden antenna and the XM module and all three antennas are hidden in the fairing. I just mention it, because if you're doing the dealer installed quick-connect/docking kit don't be shy about switching those things up a little if you prefer a different style or look. Also, I was stuck in Dallas for a week because of work so while I was there I found a 16 Road Glide Custom's seat on Craigslist for 100 bucks that was like new. Not the most comfy lol but works well enough for round town and a few hours a day riding. Picked up a HD passenger backrest and a separate luggage rack for 150 bucks total that looked new. Quite a differences with/without the tour-pack... and you got the choice how you want it set up for the day or whatever, in 5 minutes.
I think its easier & less expensive to get the RGU and do the detach kit, or at least that was my rationalization. Here some pics..,

Old 08-21-2017, 10:16 AM
oldbie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,736 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
Then can you take the lowers off of the ultra or are they like the Rushmore where they're used to hide the radiators.
No, you can not remove lowers from an Ultra.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by oldbie
No, you can not remove lowers from an Ultra.
Thanks to HD's inconsistent naming structure this is partly true. Due to the radiators, you cannot remove the lowers from a Rushmore Ultra Limited, nor a Rushmore Road Glide Ultra. You can remove them from a Rushmore Ultra Classic, which is air cooled (I don't, cuz I'm lazy). Of course, if you add lowers to a RG/SG, they are removable.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:39 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Which way to go depends on when you want the "done" bike finished. Either buy the ultra and your done. Or buy the special and, if you are going to take time assembling the other parts, you have time to find deals. But if you need it all at once, your going to pay more overall compared to the ultra. (Counting in painting as well of course.)

Old 08-21-2017, 03:17 PM
Hasher
Road Captain
Received 347 Likes on 187 Posts

The wet head would be the deal breaker for me, I only put the lowers on in extreme inclement weather.

Old 08-21-2017, 04:50 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 606 Likes on 441 Posts

I think the wet head lowers are what you really need to decide on. If you want to remove the lowers part of the time or not. You have your answer. Me, I leave mine on year round, really helps with wind Buffeting coming up from under the tank but my Road Glide is the older style fairing. Everything else can be changed.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:28 PM
jockotwin
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I bought the Ultra & converted it to a special. Changed the front wheel & seat, added a Freedom shield & Ohlins shocks from my last bike. Didn't care for the turn signals that stick onto the saddlebags with the quick release tour pack so I bought a rear fender & lighting from a base model road glide. Now I have a bike that looks like a special but has the two tone silver/black paint. It looks awesome as a special

Old 08-23-2017, 09:09 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

long road trips with the wife. she will be the most comfortable on the ultra . that is from experience !

Quick Reply: Road Glide Special vs. Road Glide Ultra