Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering RK Custom?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005 | 03:51 AM
Matt8643
|
Road Captain
Default Lowering RK Custom?

I have an 05 RK Custom with stock shocks and fork springs still intact. But I have been thinking about lowering my bike in the front and back. I can sit flat footed on the bike if I sit slightly forward in the seat (Mustang seat). I feel fine maneuvering the bike the way it is now, but think it would still be better if I could lower it just about an inch in front and maybe 1/2 inch in back. I know that I could lower the front only as the RK custom is slightly higher in front than rear. That actually may be all I need to be flat footed while completely seated in the seat. I was wondering if any one in this forum has lowered the front only on their RK Custom and if anybody has lowered both the front and rear. I realize that the rear shocks are just 12" and there is not much room to go any lower, if any. I was thinking that just losing 1/2 inch by going to 11 1/2" Progressive shocks. Any input from guys who have actually gone through any of these changes or have knowledge of someone making changes to an RK Custom would be greatly appreciated.
~Matt

Old 10-13-2005 | 04:21 PM
mayday
Cruiser
Default RE: Lowering RK Custom?

Hey Matt,

Nice looking custom. I love the white wall look with the spokes. I have an '05 cust and I too am thinking about lowering the bike. Not sure about the front, so I will be interested in hearing from others. On the rear I'm thinking of going with an adaptor that keeps the shocks you have (better ride) but still lowers the rear by 1" by moving the shock mount down and back just a bit. You can find this specifically for the RK Cust at this site www.solowmotorcycles.com The price seems very reasonable too. Several others on this forum have used this and has good things to say.....several other threads on the subject....just do a search.

Good luck!

Old 10-13-2005 | 05:43 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member

All I can say is remember what happened to Billy lane. He like his bikes lowed & his kickstand hit 1 of those little reflectors in the middle of the road when he was turning. He hit pretty hard & broke his arm. The price you pay for being closed to the ground.

Old 10-13-2005 | 09:30 PM
Matt8643
|
Road Captain

Yea, I do remember what happened to Billy Lane, which is why I really only want to lower it about 1/2" or so in back and 1" in front-no more. Mayday-I do know about the So low product, and I know they make one for the RK Custom but because the bike we have is already lower then the other RKs, I don't think we can lower the bike a full inch in the rear without problems with bottoming out the rear on bumpy roads. Thats why I was hoping maybe someone out there has actually done some lowering on an RK Custom out there somewhere with advice. I figure if I don't get any hard info by tax season, I'll just use some of my tax return money to buy air ride shocks from Legend or Progressive so I can lower or raise the bike as needed.
~Matt

Old 10-13-2005 | 10:19 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

I just did a post on "lower seat or bike" that deals with this... I am 5'6" and did this with a FLHTCI... same will work with the road king... as stated, if you lower the bike... Remember, you are NOT riding a bike that will be able to lean wayyyyyyyyyy over in the turns... have fun...

Old 10-13-2005 | 11:46 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Go with the HD front lowering kit. It is fairly priced compared to others like Progressive (which I used and love). I'd probably go with the progressive shocks since your bike is already lowered. I used the Solo 1 1/4 in lowering kit on the back and the progressive 1 1/4 in kit on the front. Love the way the forks respond. Handles curves much much better.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm interested because I have spoken to several members about lowering and I know the RKC is harder to lower in the rear because of the bags.

Terry

Old 10-14-2005 | 01:17 AM
mayday
Cruiser

Those are good points to consider......but here's my thinking on the stock heigth. The Custom is .4" lower than the other touring bikes according to the specs. If the guys have used the solo product and lowered it by 1.5" with no issue....then I'm thinking that a 1" drop is still higher than that....all be it .1". I'm also going to drop just the rear and leave the front stock heigth. I've read in other forums and I think here too that this was done with good success......kind of give it a bit more of the "raked" look.

Anyway....I'm approaching this cautiously and looking for any experience from other riders.

Aint this fun!!!

Old 10-14-2005 | 04:28 AM
Matt8643
|
Road Captain

Hey Mayday, Do you plan on lowering you bike in the near future? If so, I may wait and see how yours turns out. So far I have not found any posts about guys lowering RK Custom with Slo Mo product, just RK Classic and Standard. Also, I am confused about the difference in height between the RK Custom and other two RKs. I thought the Custom had 12" shocks and the other RKs had 13" shocks for a one inch difference in rear height? Maybe I have my figures mixed up-does anyone know this figure?
Thanks~Matt

Old 10-14-2005 | 04:38 PM
mayday
Cruiser

Matt - I would like to do this pretty soon before winter sets in here in KC....just so I can see how she acts. I think I'm going to talk to the guys at solo.....if they sell the product for the cust....I want to see if I can make contact with one of thier customers (email). I'll keep you posted on what I find. The height specs I was refering to are the "groud" clearance numbers, the other crusiers are 5.1" and the cust is 4.7".....so if the shocks are 1" shorter....I wonder how that translated into less than 1/2 inch difference in ground clearance?? Must be how and where the shocks mounts are located on the chassis. Interesting!

Keep digging!!

Old 10-16-2005 | 03:29 AM
Matt8643
|
Road Captain

Well Mayday, keep us posted after you make the changes. I hope it works out good for you, because I plan on making similar changes.
Good luck!~Matt