Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlemen Road Sofa LS break in period

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 10:51 AM
Adventure Nut
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridingon2
Failed to mention that on my 16 Limited I have Suspension Technologies shocks and i adjusted them trying to find that sweet spot but nothing helped. j
Just an FYI before someone asked if i was still running those pos oem air shocks.

I changed my shocks out when I first bought the bike. I put on the Ohlin 2.5 adjustable shocks from Howard. So, I know it's not my suspension. lol

Old 08-19-2017, 11:37 AM
JTC3495
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had mine on for about 2 months, and over 2500 miles. It has gotten a little softer, but is still a very firm seat. Having a sheepskin, made it perfect for me on my Sturgis trip earlier this month.

It may not be perfect, but it is better than stock, and looks way better, so I am happy.

The following users liked this post:
Adventure Nut (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 11:48 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Adventure Nut
I have read multiple times that the Russell Day Long seats are the way to go with comfort, but they look like a damn couch to me. Otherwise, I would have pulled the trigger on that brand. Take a look at their seats if you don't care about the look as much as comfort. I am trying to find a blend of looks and comfort right now.
Pull the trigger....i had a problem with my tail bone. i bought an Ultimate, didn't relieve the pain, bought a Mustang, still had a problem after about an hour and a half. Bought the Russell Day Long.....never looked back. i got the leather and heated. it sits funny, you're on the seat and slide forward sometimes but to me, it was worth the price. yeah its fugly but your a$$ can't see it but it sure can tell the difference. i can ride from tank to tank now. furthest i've gone is only @ 500 miles then back the next day but i could have gone further. good luck with your quest. you can rack up the $$$$ before you find a match.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:25 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure about your saddleman, never tried one yet, but on the Corbin, it does break-in, or should i say , molds to your rear end, I have a few thousand mi. on mine, and it gets better, the more you ride, firm foam = support, But every rear is different, so just my 2 Cents

Adventure Nut (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Adventure Nut
Advanced

Originally Posted by cass
Pull the trigger....i had a problem with my tail bone. i bought an Ultimate, didn't relieve the pain, bought a Mustang, still had a problem after about an hour and a half. Bought the Russell Day Long.....never looked back. i got the leather and heated. it sits funny, you're on the seat and slide forward sometimes but to me, it was worth the price. yeah its fugly but your a$$ can't see it but it sure can tell the difference. i can ride from tank to tank now. furthest i've gone is only @ 500 miles then back the next day but i could have gone further. good luck with your quest. you can rack up the $$$$ before you find a match.

I am starting to think that way as well. The RDL may look ugly as hell, but weighing out having a sore a** vs looks is starting change my point of view. My G/F doesn't like the Saddlemen so far, but we only road about 75 miles this morning. Thanks for your input, though.

Old 08-19-2017, 11:02 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If comfort is what you are after, get a Russell Day Long seat. Period. Yeah, form follows function, but did you buy the bike to ride or sit and look pretty?

Old 08-20-2017, 12:43 AM
Adventure Nut
Advanced

Originally Posted by tphillips
If comfort is what you are after, get a Russell Day Long seat. Period. Yeah, form follows function, but did you buy the bike to ride or sit and look pretty?

I know what you mean. I wanted to try something like looked and felt good. However, I am not sure both of those words can be in the same sentence when it comes to seats. I am sure the RDL has the comfort, but to me it looks like a couch. Just my opinion of course.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:56 PM
stevehilde
Advanced
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced the stock seat as a result of a day trip where I found myself sitting on the seat pan after the foam condensed in a few hours. Went with the Saddlemen LS and actually prefer the firmness of the gel seat. Even after a full day it's still doing its job. Depends, I guess, on your riding style -- whether you do short trips or long ones, and how often. As another poster noted, your butt has to adjust as well. If you only ride occasionally, you'll need a softer seat 'cause you're not used to sitting in that one position.

Keep in mind that there's a fine line between "breaking in" and "breaking down". Eventually your seat is going to wear out; if it happens quickly, that's a bad thing, not a good one.

Heading out for most of the month of September on two separate roadtrips. 6800 miles total, will have to report back on how my Saddlemen worked for me.

Adventure Nut (08-22-2017)
Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 PM
Adventure Nut
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevehilde
I replaced the stock seat as a result of a day trip where I found myself sitting on the seat pan after the foam condensed in a few hours. Went with the Saddlemen LS and actually prefer the firmness of the gel seat. Even after a full day it's still doing its job. Depends, I guess, on your riding style -- whether you do short trips or long ones, and how often. As another poster noted, your butt has to adjust as well. If you only ride occasionally, you'll need a softer seat 'cause you're not used to sitting in that one position.

Keep in mind that there's a fine line between "breaking in" and "breaking down". Eventually your seat is going to wear out; if it happens quickly, that's a bad thing, not a good one.

Heading out for most of the month of September on two separate roadtrips. 6800 miles total, will have to report back on how my Saddlemen worked for me.

Thanks for your response, I appreciate it. I decided to return my RS to Saddlemen. They have a great demo program. I wish I could of made this seat work, but it is to firm for my taste. Plus, the g/f wasn't pleased. The seats looks awesome, but for me the comfort wasn't there. Good luck on your trip.

Old 04-24-2018, 07:57 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,276 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Ridingon2
I'm in the same situation as you. I ordered the Road Sofa LS extended reach version and it is hard as a rock and very uncomfortable and the wife says it has to go. We have around 1300 miles on ours with no indication that it is going to get better. We left on a trip to Orlando on August 14 and with about 75-100 miles left to our destination we were both ready to park the bike and call Uber. We rode a little during our stay but not enough to amount to anything. Then the trip home. It's a 475 mile return trip and it was agonizing. Coming up I-75 we stopped at Tifton HD and I was seriously considering putting one of their demo seats on to finish our trip and returning it Sunday or Monday. She talked me out of it but at every stop we taking advil to help with the discomfort. We had decided to take our Alaska Sheepskins on the trip just in case and they may have helped a bit. So in my case the search goes on. We have tried Ultimate, Saddlemen, Hammock, Air Hawk, Sheepskin and have not found that magical seat. Thinking we'll go visit our HD dealer and demo a few more.
so whatever became of the seat? still own it?

was it as hard as a Corbin?

(old thread I know)