Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Bars, Brake Lines... Now ABS Doesn't Seem To Work

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 07:24 PM
johnxllis
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Bars, Brake Lines... Now ABS Doesn't Seem To Work

If anyone has mech/tech experience with Harley's ABS systems I'd really appreciate some advice.

I installed bars on my bike and had to change the front brake lines. I bled them out with a vacuum pump and they work fantastically. Seem firmer and perform better than before. However, today I decided to test out the ABS and it is clearly not working. The front tire just locks up, almost laid the bike down.

My question is, since I changed lines and bled them out, is there some magic that the dealer has to do to get the system working again? Light is NOT on, no fault code, the ABS pump just does not seem to be relieving pressure in the front lines. Everything is hooked up correctly, no leaks and no blockages.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:47 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 4,114 Posts

You probably introduced air into the ABS module when you bled the brakes. On bikes with ABS, it is recommended you take it to the dealer to have the brakes bled. They will hook it up to the Digital Tech II to cycle and reset the ABS module.

There are ways of doing it yourself but it takes more care than bleeding brakes on bikes without ABS. I would suggest you take it to the dealer to have the brakes rebled correctly.

Here are other threads about bleeding brakes with ABS.

The following users liked this post:
johnxllis (08-13-2017)
Old 08-13-2017, 08:10 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,483 Likes on 2,428 Posts

+1 with Bone Doc.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:16 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
You probably introduced air into the ABS module when you bled the brakes. On bikes with ABS, it is recommended you take it to the dealer to have the brakes bled. They will hook it up to the Digital Tech II to cycle and reset the ABS module.

There are ways of doing it yourself but it takes more care than bleeding brakes on bikes without ABS. I would suggest you take it to the dealer to have the brakes rebled correctly.

Here are other threads about bleeding brakes with ABS.
I know some will disagree but, Harley ABS systems on ABS equipped bikes must be bled with a Harley-Davidson scan tool or they will not cycle properly.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:53 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,871 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
I know some will disagree but, Harley ABS systems on ABS equipped bikes must be bled with a Harley-Davidson scan tool or they will not cycle properly.
Yes, that's what I indicated. But, in other threads other members have reported bleeding brakes on ABS equipped bikes without any negative effects. I gave links to those threads. There will always be dissenters.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:27 PM
vistavette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Yes, that's what I indicated. But, in other threads other members have reported bleeding brakes on ABS equipped bikes without any negative effects. I gave links to those threads. There will always be dissenters.
Yeah - the other threads is what I was referring to. Others talk about taking the bike out and activating the ABS with hard stop etc. Personally, I have the dealer bleed the brakes because I have ABS.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:29 PM
psychocircus
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Abs module needs replaced...

Old 08-14-2017, 06:55 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by johnxllis
If anyone has mech/tech experience with Harley's ABS systems I'd really appreciate some advice.

I installed bars on my bike and had to change the front brake lines. I bled them out with a vacuum pump and they work fantastically. Seem firmer and perform better than before. However, today I decided to test out the ABS and it is clearly not working. The front tire just locks up, almost laid the bike down.

My question is, since I changed lines and bled them out, is there some magic that the dealer has to do to get the system working again? Light is NOT on, no fault code, the ABS pump just does not seem to be relieving pressure in the front lines. Everything is hooked up correctly, no leaks and no blockages.

You have some strange things happening there,,,

The ," Not relieving pressure on the front brakes", concerns me.... Does that mean you front brake is hard/ solid ??? If so , I would trailer the bike to dealership for them to work out the problems with their Digital Tech tool .. There are reported problems of abs modules failing when air gets in the system .... Hopefully all that is needed is a flush of the brake system and cycling of the abs module solenoids .... If not, be prepared for a new abs module ......