Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King vs. Foreign Bikes (and Victory/Indian)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 09:56 AM
Racewriter
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Road King vs. Foreign Bikes (and Victory/Indian)

So, I've had my 2010 Road King for a year. I've ridden it over 6000 miles, taken show trophies with it, and just generally enjoyed the hell out of it. I was reflecting yesterday on the other bikes I rode before I bought it, and how they compared. Before I bought the King, I test rode big touring cruisers from nearly every manufacturer and the Harley was simply the one I felt most at home on. So, if anyone cares, here are my thoughts.

Victory - of course it's defunct now - they killed it about 3 months after I bought my King - but I did get to do 200 miles on a Cross Country during the Hot Bike Tour in 2015. Good solid bike, very comfortable on long rides, good power, but at the end of the day didn't have the feeling of solidity that I got riding the King. Just that total, "Relax, I got this" feeling that the Harley touring bike gives was missing.

Indian - honestly, if I could have afforded one, I might have bought an Indian. The Roadmaster is a great bike. Now that I own a H-D, if I were going to step up to that level (price wise) of a bike, I'd probably buy a Road Glide Ultra instead because of brand loyalty - but the Indian is a hell of a bike.

Yamaha Stratoliner - easily the worst big touring cruiser I rode. Did a 20 mile demo ride at Bikes, Blues, and BBQ in 2014, and that was about 19 miles too long. It just had no feeling of solidity, the vibration was horrible, and it handled like an elephant swimming in molasses. I've also ridden an FJR 1300, and if Yamaha would put that engine into a touring cruiser chassis that was decent, they'd have a hell of a bike. Never rode a Royal Star Venture with the V-4, but I'd still like to.

Suzuki C90T - just mediocre in every way. Everything was decent - power, handling, comfort, vibes, but it never felt like an integrated touring bike. Not anything that I'd want to ride on a 2500 mile trip and not anything that would be a standout on bike night.

Kawasaki Nomad - I liked the Nomad a lot but it felt pretty ponderous, even just pulling it off the sidestand. If you can believe it, the King feels much lighter and more agile. Still, the Nomad had good power and comfort, and someday I could see one in the garage keeping the King company as a second bike.

Moto Guzzi California Touring - I've gotta be honest, this is one hell of a bike, and probably the closest competition to the King. Power and handling are spectacular, the rubber mount system is glass smooth, and the ride was a blast. The lack of a decent dealer network and the reputation of Italian build quality and electrics (substantiated in Guzzi forums) scared me off this one.

Honda F6B - Very solid bike. The trouble with it was the same as the Valkyrie that I traded for the King - it was impossible to have semi-forward foot controls due to the flat-6 engine. Due to a knee injury I need footboards with less than a 90 degree knee bend, and it's impossible to get that on the F6B or new Valkyrie. If someone likes a deeper knee bend, this is a good alternative.

Result? I'm an H-D guy now after owning mine for a year. NO plans to trade it. I have 36K miles on it and I'm planning on putting on the 100,000th. The only plans for it are stretched bags and a new paint job over the winter. I do think I'll get a second bike sometime soon....and I'm leaning toward a Sportster 1200 Touring (rode one and it's a fun little bastard) or a V-rod to turn into a Road Rod.

The following users liked this post:
Ex-Leftcoaster (08-12-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 10:22 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

...... they don't call it 'the King' for nuthin

Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

My bike is getting long in the tooth so I have been casually shopping for a replacement. For me its only HD or Indian. In my mind I was ready to get the Springfield if finances allowed. Love the ride and the motor is a torque monster. But then the M8 came out. Test rode one and loved the motor. And with the "word on the street" that a new frame is coming out I'm all back to HD and a Road King.

The one problem I do have beside $ is that my '99 Twinkie runs like new. And its paid for. So let's see how long it will last.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:16 AM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 276 Likes on 240 Posts

RK's are the best all around Harley, not perfect but does nothing wrong. I started riding Harley's in 2005, coming from the Yamaha/Honda side. My first Harley was a 2005 RK Custom. Rode it for 2 years, then an Ultra, then a VTX1800 Tour, then a RG, then a Heritage. Now back on a 2011 RK Standard, upgraded where I want it. My first and last Harley are the 2 best bikes I have ever ridden, including the metrics. My current RK is my last motorcycle. It's what I have learned from 40 yrs riding bikes.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:32 AM
EdsRoadGlide2017
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I currently have a 2010 Street Glide. It's my first Harley and I've wanted a Harley since I was a young teenager and I am now 50. I love the Harley and I get more attention from it than any other bike I've had. I have to say though that this bike requires more TLC than my previous Jap bikes. I bought her used from a guy in IL with 16K miles on her and rode her home from IL. So far Ive replaced the starter and the throttle sensor. When I pay this sucker off I'm definitely staying with Harley and going brand new. Even though the Harley is not the best choice economically I still love riding a Harley.

Prior to the Harley I had a 2005 Honda VTX 1800R1. This bike was a beast. 110ci engine. Required very little TLC other than basic maintenance. I bought it brand new as a left over in 2007 at $10,800. In 9 years I put 85K miles on her and rode as far west as IL from NJ and as far south as GA from NJ and every where in between. It had a big granny riders seat. Comfort was never an issue. I sold her once I got the Harley, but I'll always love her.

2000 something Honda Shadow Spirit 1100. First bike after 20 years of not riding. Great bike no problems. I probably put 20K miles on her. Bought her used with 5K miles. No long trips as I was just getting back into riding.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:43 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I agree. Before I bought my '10 FLHR, I test rode every one except the Honda listed below. I just never fit the "You meet the nicest people on a Honda" slogan. I have 40,000 on mine, never won an award with it, but I smile like I am an award winner whenever I am riding it. The King was the best handling and balance of the bikes I tested.
I was not a fan of the Victory and my test ride was short, less than 25 miles.
I ran into too much bad mouthing of other brands from the Indian salesman. I did not appreciate being told my Harley was a piece of junk. I did the test ride, but I never seriously considered a valanced fendered motorcycle. It was out of place in the '40's and had Indian survived, it would have lost those fenders immediately. The bike rode well, finish was iffy, aftermarket and additional parts were non-existent.
The Strato had no chance, for one, it has a limited range and felt like a tank. I went around the block.
C90T. Limited range, plastic.
Nomad was high on my list. Rode two of them, but never got over the ponderous feeling.
I liked the Guzzi. If it had been as I wanted it, out of the box it might have made the cut. But any mods were terribly limited and expensive.
I found your analysis and test ride experience accurate and similar to my own experience. In fact, two of my friends had Nomads and I was hot for a Nomad until I spent time on one.
Also, the Harley Road King was the easiest to work on. Sure we have three holes to drain, but overall, the Harley is a piece of cake to maintain. In fact, the Pre-Rushmore Harley's (pre-canbus, hydraulic clutch, aircooled) may be the last truly home mechanic friendly touring bikes.

Originally Posted by Racewriter
So, I've had my 2010 Road King for a year. I've ridden it over 6000 miles, taken show trophies with it, and just generally enjoyed the hell out of it. I was reflecting yesterday on the other bikes I rode before I bought it, and how they compared. Before I bought the King, I test rode big touring cruisers from nearly every manufacturer and the Harley was simply the one I felt most at home on. So, if anyone cares, here are my thoughts.

Victory - of course it's defunct now - they killed it about 3 months after I bought my King - but I did get to do 200 miles on a Cross Country during the Hot Bike Tour in 2015. Good solid bike, very comfortable on long rides, good power, but at the end of the day didn't have the feeling of solidity that I got riding the King. Just that total, "Relax, I got this" feeling that the Harley touring bike gives was missing.

Indian - honestly, if I could have afforded one, I might have bought an Indian. The Roadmaster is a great bike. Now that I own a H-D, if I were going to step up to that level (price wise) of a bike, I'd probably buy a Road Glide Ultra instead because of brand loyalty - but the Indian is a hell of a bike.

Yamaha Stratoliner - easily the worst big touring cruiser I rode. Did a 20 mile demo ride at Bikes, Blues, and BBQ in 2014, and that was about 19 miles too long. It just had no feeling of solidity, the vibration was horrible, and it handled like an elephant swimming in molasses. I've also ridden an FJR 1300, and if Yamaha would put that engine into a touring cruiser chassis that was decent, they'd have a hell of a bike. Never rode a Royal Star Venture with the V-4, but I'd still like to.

Suzuki C90T - just mediocre in every way. Everything was decent - power, handling, comfort, vibes, but it never felt like an integrated touring bike. Not anything that I'd want to ride on a 2500 mile trip and not anything that would be a standout on bike night.

Kawasaki Nomad - I liked the Nomad a lot but it felt pretty ponderous, even just pulling it off the sidestand. If you can believe it, the King feels much lighter and more agile. Still, the Nomad had good power and comfort, and someday I could see one in the garage keeping the King company as a second bike.

Moto Guzzi California Touring - I've gotta be honest, this is one hell of a bike, and probably the closest competition to the King. Power and handling are spectacular, the rubber mount system is glass smooth, and the ride was a blast. The lack of a decent dealer network and the reputation of Italian build quality and electrics (substantiated in Guzzi forums) scared me off this one.

Honda F6B - Very solid bike. The trouble with it was the same as the Valkyrie that I traded for the King - it was impossible to have semi-forward foot controls due to the flat-6 engine. Due to a knee injury I need footboards with less than a 90 degree knee bend, and it's impossible to get that on the F6B or new Valkyrie. If someone likes a deeper knee bend, this is a good alternative.

Result? I'm an H-D guy now after owning mine for a year. NO plans to trade it. I have 36K miles on it and I'm planning on putting on the 100,000th. The only plans for it are stretched bags and a new paint job over the winter. I do think I'll get a second bike sometime soon....and I'm leaning toward a Sportster 1200 Touring (rode one and it's a fun little bastard) or a V-rod to turn into a Road Rod.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 08-11-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 04:03 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Good post. I agree with most of your comments. I have not rode a Moto Guzzi. I will have to give it a try. I reluctantly test an F6B when they first came out. I was amazed by how much fun it was to ride. But it was expensive for its limited ability, it is a blast for an hour, then I couldn't wait to get off. I eventually bought an FJR to satisfy my speed need. Since then I traded it for a Concours. A fun traveler, but hard on the knees. I traded it for my 14 Limited because the one thing that all Metric bike are missing is soul. Hey, those bikes only come in two colors, sometimes just one. Jump on an American Vtwin and the whole body feels at home.

Beary

Old 08-11-2017, 07:26 PM
Tarkus60
Road Warrior

Received 305 Likes on 219 Posts

I started on 70's Jap bikes ....road all kinds. Honda 750's and kawi's 900. The 80's sport bikes ....need for speed.
I got older and bought a Vulcan 1500....Not to bad I thought.
One day a buddy stopped by on new Ultra....new to him.
I rode it....that was all it took....
Found my Road King and fell in love....

Old 08-11-2017, 07:41 PM
damquick1
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I love my 2012 FLHRC, but I will say I disagree with you comments about the Stratoliner.
I had a Stratoliner for three years and rode it at least three times weekly, two trips from Corpus Christie Tx to Sturgis, one trip to upstate NY and two more to Daytona... that bike never let me down, had tremendous power and was incredibly solid on the road and at 113ci could roar through the twisities. In fact I shipped it to Germany and rode throughout the Alps, over to Italy and through Stelvio pass on it before I sold it to a very happy German biker I met at a BMW bike fest.
However I do agree the range just wasn't there... only having 4.5 gals or so of fuel gets old.
I'm happy with my Harley and wouldn't go back to another brand or drink the Polaris Koolaid... there is nostalgia in my King.....

Last edited by damquick1; 08-11-2017 at 07:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
_Wotto_ (02-26-2020)
Old 08-11-2017, 09:14 PM
blackxpress
Road Master
Received 492 Likes on 241 Posts

Agree about the F6B (and Goldwings in general). The seating position is what finally caused me to move from Wings to HD. Wings are wonderful motorcycles but I'm 6'5" tall with a 36" inseam. It didn't bother me when I was younger but now that I'm getting old and stiff I just can't get comfortable on a Wing. Started shopping around for something more roomy and wound up on a Road Glide Ultra. Now, almost a year and 19,000 miles later I have no regrets. My Harley fits me like a glove and just feels right. I will admit though that I sometimes miss the low maintenance aspect of the Goldwing. The Harley is very faithful but it does require an awful lot of TLC to keep it that way. With the Goldwing, except for the occasional oil and filter change, you mostly just put gas in it and go.

Quick Reply: Road King vs. Foreign Bikes (and Victory/Indian)