Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Fuel Moto 107" Build Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 06:45 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Congrats!!

Originally Posted by MA-FXDBI-DB
Haha not sure I'm ready to cuss another bike out this soon. I'm already neck deep in my buddies Dyna!

Heads - About $910 shipped to my door. Cost me about $40 to ship the core back. $20 to have Harley swap over my compression releases. I think it was about $80 for the head bolts.

Big Bore Kit - $1,825 shipped to my door (including the bearing tools). Spent $40 on the rear cam tensioner. Maybe another $20 on various other parts and supplies.

Clutch - $297 shipped.

I'm running a PCV so FM gave me a tune but I'll have it dynoed once I get done breaking it in (they said bring it in after 1000 miles). That'll be another $200 - $300 at least.

The fortunate part is that I can re-coup some of my money with the parts I took off the bike.
So first off, congrats and nice job all the way around doing this on your own. That's a big job, even with their good directions and Fuel Moto phone support.

I have a FM 107BB with the level II heads and 777, but I didn't do it myself, I brought the bike out there and and played tourist for a couple days. I've had it 3 years and about 23K on the 107 engine now and have some simple comments and suggestions.

The heads are loud with a lot of heavy duty parts inside. Learn to like the noise. Expect about 3000 miles of the bike fully breaking in. It will run fine through all that time, but at least mine I could feel it breaking in almost a full first half of the first season. The AIM clutch and the heads and those pipes with the high compression engine is going to make noise.. smile.

Have you ever replaced the stock spark plug wires. If not, consider that a get done next time you have the tank lifted.

If you have any concerns about finding a excellent tuner to do a Dyno for you. Think about the alternative of upgrading to the Target Tune add on to the PV, or even better skip the Dyno, buy a Powervision from FM and include Target Tune. FM will send you a base tune and the TT will dial you in and keep you dialed in on a real time basis. If budget is a concern, keep it in mind as a possible next step upgrade. That Target Tune realtime tuning, and the Bosch wide band sensors are an awesome combination.

It's okay if you can't wipe the smile off your face.

The following users liked this post:
robert dacosta (12-17-2020)
Old 12-18-2017, 10:31 AM
MA-FXDBI-DB
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
So first off, congrats and nice job all the way around doing this on your own. That's a big job, even with their good directions and Fuel Moto phone support.

I have a FM 107BB with the level II heads and 777, but I didn't do it myself, I brought the bike out there and and played tourist for a couple days. I've had it 3 years and about 23K on the 107 engine now and have some simple comments and suggestions.

The heads are loud with a lot of heavy duty parts inside. Learn to like the noise. Expect about 3000 miles of the bike fully breaking in. It will run fine through all that time, but at least mine I could feel it breaking in almost a full first half of the first season. The AIM clutch and the heads and those pipes with the high compression engine is going to make noise.. smile.

Have you ever replaced the stock spark plug wires. If not, consider that a get done next time you have the tank lifted.

If you have any concerns about finding a excellent tuner to do a Dyno for you. Think about the alternative of upgrading to the Target Tune add on to the PV, or even better skip the Dyno, buy a Powervision from FM and include Target Tune. FM will send you a base tune and the TT will dial you in and keep you dialed in on a real time basis. If budget is a concern, keep it in mind as a possible next step upgrade. That Target Tune realtime tuning, and the Bosch wide band sensors are an awesome combination.

It's okay if you can't wipe the smile off your face.
Thanks for the reply brother! Yes, the heads are MUCH louder that stock, both mechanically and exhaust wise. It's definitely a good, deep sound that almost any biker would appreciate. The AIM clutch was one of the best decisions I made when going with this kit. I can't believe the gripping power in relation to the soft feel of the clutch. I would 100% recommend one with any motor build. And to think I almost just went with my Barnett HD spring to save money!

Yes, I did upgrade my wires from stock to the Screamin' Eagle performance wires. Not a huge fan of Harley performance parts since they're usually not cost effective but it's always nice to be able to get parts from the dealer when you're in a pinch. I'm assuming you use the HD shop in Leominster since you live in Ashby; in which case I have to extend my condolences. I always liked Hi-Octane the best up there. They always had the parts I needed in stock.

I've been thinking of switching over to the FM programmer since I'm running their parts. Hard for me to pull the trigger though since I already have a tuner that I'm so familiar with. Fortunately I have a semi-local Power Commander tuner but I still feel like I could replace my PCV with the FM tuner and get a very similar tune for a fraction of the total cost. I'll have to give it a little more thought.

Old 12-18-2017, 12:38 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MA-FXDBI-DB
Thanks for the reply brother! Yes, the heads are MUCH louder that stock, both mechanically and exhaust wise. It's definitely a good, deep sound that almost any biker would appreciate. The AIM clutch was one of the best decisions I made when going with this kit. I can't believe the gripping power in relation to the soft feel of the clutch. I would 100% recommend one with any motor build. And to think I almost just went with my Barnett HD spring to save money!

Yes, I did upgrade my wires from stock to the Screamin' Eagle performance wires. Not a huge fan of Harley performance parts since they're usually not cost effective but it's always nice to be able to get parts from the dealer when you're in a pinch. I'm assuming you use the HD shop in Leominster since you live in Ashby; in which case I have to extend my condolences. I always liked Hi-Octane the best up there. They always had the parts I needed in stock.

I've been thinking of switching over to the FM programmer since I'm running their parts. Hard for me to pull the trigger though since I already have a tuner that I'm so familiar with. Fortunately I have a semi-local Power Commander tuner but I still feel like I could replace my PCV with the FM tuner and get a very similar tune for a fraction of the total cost. I'll have to give it a little more thought.
I was surprised to see you were "local"! But now I notice the MA in your handle. I actually go north to Monadnock HD or over to Sheldon's sometimes. I'm not sure what FM tuner you're thinking, but the Dynojet Powervision and the Dynojet PCV both support the Target-Tune module and wideband sensors.
When I had my build done, FuelMoto did the tune, but the TT wasn't yet available. I didn't think I needed it given FM did the dyno work. But, when I had a sensor fail, I figured for a couple hundred more bucks I could go full wideband realtime tuning.. what the hell. All I can say is the difference is surprising! I'm saying this and Jaime Long tuned my bike. When you get the dyno done, try to find someone that has a great rep AND knows the tuner you're using.

Good move going with the variable pressure clutch. They do make a lot of racket down there though and it freaks out the run of the mill HD shop mechanic that have never run into one. Be prepared for that.

As for the bigger TB and jets, no one has made a bigger study of this that Jaime and his crew at FM. Get his advise before doing any upgrade in this area, bigger isn't necessarily better. They'll be able to tell you what you might gain.. and you might, but get their input because they have tested numerous configurations and have a very good idea of what the different kits will do.

Have fun!!!

Oh, one more thing, ...mine has always been very cold blooded, at startup.. especially first thing in the morning. Don't be surprised if you think you should be totally warmed up and that first mile down the road has you thinking something's wrong. Mine was just that cold blooded.. even after break-in. It's still that way!

After a while, just the sounds of the heads/engine/exhaust is just so ethereal that I hardly ever play my radio anymore. Never mind the crazy power. OMG!

Also, I've never found my mileage to be any worse. 40~42mpg regularly, and my oil temps run a very stable 200~220'F with engine temps pretty much 240~260'F ET via the Powervision readout. All I've got is a Jagg Deluxe 5 row oil cooler.

The following users liked this post:
Bafflingbs (02-05-2020)