Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King with Laced Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 04:43 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Very well stated, personally I agree with that assessment as well.

Chrome Spokes rims are very nostalgic and fit extremely well with the Road kings IMHO.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:56 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,640 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Originally Posted by boe1971200
Im not saying it looks bad, I just think the mag style rims detract from the "old school" look.
With that I do not disagree. Though with the brake rotors up front and bags on the back, the visual impact is more muted than I expected.

i went to cast wheels to get away from tubes and the inability to fix a flat on the side of the road. I was pleasantly surprised at how much it improved handling and stability.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:05 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
In general rusting through the rim requires A LOT of neglect.

Simple washing prevents rust. Problem with some riders is they only wash the front wheel because they don't want to take the time to remove the bags.

But I have experienced a flat from a rusted through rim on my evo softail. It was a very small hole but enough to tear the tube. When I took the wheel to an indy to lace a new wheel, he said that the most common cause of rusted through rims is dogs.

Beary
Well... I most certainly disagree with your first statement. What the problem on my Nightrain was, was too little neglect... washed the bike too often and road the tires off of it on a regular basis in EVERY type of weather. Turned it over at 92K because as a trade in it was worth what I could have sold it for and the difference in price for what I got on the trade in was equal to a new S&S engine with me doing the install. Oh... and I have no dogs, and the bike was always in the garage so the idiot neighbors' dogs couldn't get to it.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:55 PM
dakotared
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe12RK
They are called 'profile' wheels. I'll see if I can find out the years they were available. I know they were available in 2010 and 2012.
Love mine!

Old 08-10-2017, 10:22 PM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 2013 road king classic, one of the last to be sold in ft worth.
I bought some mag wheels and powder coated them and have kept my laced wheels in the garage for when i upgrade. i liked the look of the spokes and www but the red wheels made my bike POP.lol

Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 PM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,729 Likes on 3,100 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
Interesting observation and I can definitely see where the two tone paint would really clash with a modern wheel.

The genesis of my wanting a RKC goes all the way back to to the Softail Nostalgia "Moo Glide" with it's beautiful two tone paint and wide whites--it's one of my favorite color schemes.

I ended up with a RKC that was just one color, Red Hot Sunglow which works pretty well with a modern chrome wheel.

Still love the wide whites and spokes...I can always go back as mine are packed away in the hogpro boxes.
Now THOSE are awesome wheels!

Old 08-11-2017, 12:07 AM
seanl
Road Master
Received 373 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ
Now THOSE are awesome wheels!
Thank you. I did a lot of searching to figure out what would be a tasteful replacement for my 16" spokes and wide whites. I didn't want to lose the character of the bike, and I didn't want to get caught up in the 21" front wheel craze either. I ended up going with 18" front and rear as I wanted to retain some semblance of a sidewall as I have to navigate through the rough streets of San Francisco to get to my riding roads. Dunlop makes American Elites that are the right size (in fact the new 2017 RK Special rides on the same size rear, but 19" front).

I expected a little better handling and cornering going from 16s to 18s and I wasn't disappointed. Fresh tire helps of course, but the billet wheels have no flex compared to the oem spokes and the bike turns into corners really well.

Last edited by seanl; 08-11-2017 at 12:12 AM.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:45 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,529 Likes on 1,424 Posts

My 2011 RKC came with the "Power Pack Option", which included the 103, ABS, and Cruise Control.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:26 AM
47Norton
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the spokes and WWW's. Two years ago and had had enough of the nasty looking spokes. I broke my wheels down and replaced the spokes with posished stainless. I have been very happy with that change. I only ride locally so don't really feel the need for a mag wheel. To me it's not a RK Classic without the laced wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Road King with Laced Wheels?-fender.jpg  
Old 08-12-2017, 10:56 AM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 47Norton
I love the spokes and WWW's. Two years ago and had had enough of the nasty looking spokes. I broke my wheels down and replaced the spokes with posished stainless. I have been very happy with that change. I only ride locally so don't really feel the need for a mag wheel. To me it's not a RK Classic without the laced wheels.
Totally agree!

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Quick Reply: Road King with Laced Wheels?