Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performance stability

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 11:12 AM
Darkride
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Performance stability

I have looked through the forum and not found this addressed. I apologize if I missed it. I have a 99 Roadking with 37k miles. Its in overall excellent condition. The previous owner (its a 1 owner bike prior to me) lowered the bike and put spring adjustable dyna style rear shocks on. I have it scheduled to have the oem air shocks put back on because while it rides nicely for me alone any 2 up causes bottoming out. Yesterday we ran the liberty road here in nc which is as twisty as the dragon claw and a bit faster. I was riding with a guy on a dwg . keeping up was challenging and I scraped the foot boards a bit. I haven't pushed this bike like this before but I noticed that while excelerating out of some of the corners I was getting some front wheel wobble. Not the dreaded "death wobble" just a touch of instability. Previous to this bike I road a 2000 dwg myself so maybe its just a bagger thing or maybe the ability to stiffen the rear may help as my experience is that much of the time front end instability is caused by improper rear suspension. Any thoughts? (Its also possible I simply pushed the bike too hard).

Old 07-31-2017, 01:57 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

too many variables to generate an internet answer, given age of bike and unknown mods, you might be better off starting on simple things first

tire pressure, tire age, tire balancr, front motor mount, proper steering head fallaway, wheel bearigs.

before jumping to any conclusions and especially before putting the factory air shocks back on the bike.

the air shocks may solve 1 issue and create 2 more

i would check the suspension in total before beginning to work on one end or the other.

having a plan and understanding what needs attention is better than a haphazard approach.

i hope you find your issue

ps, its doubtful you pushed the bike to hard.

Old 07-31-2017, 02:03 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Were it me, I think I'd get a much better performing shock than the OEM air shock, and do the labor myself to make up some of the difference between stock and aftermarket shocks. That is, unless you're just unable to do that work for whatever reason, it's a real easy chore. But...let's not go into WHICH shock, there are TONS and TONS of other threads on this subject...

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM
Darkride
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Veekness
Were it me, I think I'd get a much better performing shock than the OEM air shock, and do the labor myself to make up some of the difference between stock and aftermarket shocks. That is, unless you're just unable to do that work for whatever reason, it's a real easy chore. But...let's not go into WHICH shock, there are TONS and TONS of other threads on this subject...
thanks to both of you. Umm I didn't give you nearly enough info because I took it for granted but I had a serious accident a few years ago and just got cleared to ride last year. I elected to buy this bike because it was pristine and I could afford it in cash which allowed me to send it in and have them go for front to back. The did a bearing check, changed and checked the fork oil, checked the rear shocks, changed the can chain tensioners to gears and do a a phase 2 performance upgrade with a hypercharger. Tires are brand new Pirelli white walls (cause they are just so gangsta) lol and I checked the pressure when I got home. Both were within 2 lbs of spec. I bought the one's weeks ago because the bike was bottoming out when 2 up or loaded and who knew but 8 yrs of jumping out of air planes eventually leads to back issues lol so I need it to be adjustable. I wish I could do my own work but I am a mechanical idiot and figure the bike isn't the place to prove that. Thank both of you very much. I actually should have done more research on adjustable up grades and may yet return. These and look at some Arnott or progressives. I appreciate it.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:52 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,609 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Check your front motor mount. They have a tendency to sheer laterally.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:04 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

u say its lowered, is it shorter shocks or lowering brackets on the shock mount? usually spring shocks will give a better ride if they are correct for the bike and weight load.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:08 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

need to find out what shocks u have now hate to see u five away what could be some big$ aftermarkets.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:29 PM
Darkride
Cruiser

They are 11 inch aftermarket shocks but I can't tell what brand. The harley mechanic called them "cheap knockoffs" but honestly 1 up they perform pretty well but they are turned all the way up and can't get any stiffer. I don't feel any weave (I am a mechanical idiot but have been riding awhile and cut my teeth on a v-65. I am no racer but not an old lady) and no I really didn't think I was over riding the bike. I also have zero experience on a bagger so I thought maybe its just not intended to ride like that.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Darkride
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
need to find out what shocks u have now hate to see u five away what could be some big$ aftermarkets.
lol my wife agree's.

Old 07-31-2017, 05:31 PM
Darkride
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Check your front motor mount. They have a tendency to sheer laterally.
I did not know that. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Performance stability