Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy new Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017 | 07:14 AM
dremy1011
|
5th Gear
Default Looking to buy new Touring Bike

First time post here. I've been riding for about 4 years, and recently made a bad purchase for my needs. I picked up a Harley VRod about two months ago, my wife and I took a longer trip up to Cape Cod this weekend (I wouldn't have thought 180 miles could feel so long), and came home with broken backs and rear ends from the trip . So I'm now on the hunt for a bike with some longer distance comfort. I came across a 2007 Street Glide for sale at the local dealer, it has 40,000 miles on it. I know these things were made to ride but I'm a little nervous about the age and mileage. I'm pretty handy with a wrench and do my own maintenance. Prior to the VRod I owned a Sportster 883c. What's everyone's opinions? Thank you!

Old 07-31-2017 | 07:16 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

09 or later would be my advice due to all of the changes.

Old 07-31-2017 | 07:26 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy

2007 was the last year of cable drive throttle bodies, first 6 speed touring platform, had super tall gearing- I've had to replace a few dozen main drive gear bearings on 07s, and a bunch of compensators.

Old 07-31-2017 | 07:49 AM
dremy1011
|
5th Gear

I'm also seeing Electra Glide Classics in the same price range but newer with less mileage. Price wise it seem pretty reasonable to add the quick detach for the truck. I looked like a difference is it has more chrome and a higher seat? 2011 with 10,000 miles for same price.

Old 07-31-2017 | 08:24 AM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member

Newest model with the least amount of miles..... Scour CL and cycle trader. Plenty of deals to be had

Old 07-31-2017 | 09:00 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

FYI.....The street glides go for looks/style, and have a lowered suspension versus an electra glide. Unless you are planning on suspension/seat changes right off the bat, the electra glide series will have a better ride in stock form....

I have an ultra-limited. When on a trip, I rented a street glide and me and my wife went for a cruise. Not only is the OEM passenger seat seriously lacking, but the OEM suspension was obviously stiffer. My wife made the comment that the ride was very uncomfortable. She said she would never ride with me, if I had a street glide at home...

Old 07-31-2017 | 09:01 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Exclamation

Many of us have got much higher mileages than that, so that isn't a problem, nor is the age. With that mileage the sort of things you will read about may have been sorted or upgraded, so it is worth asking about it's history. However following your experience with the V-Rod, that is the least suitable model to buy! It has short rear shocks, which are not very good solo, let alone two-up, also the stock seat may be no better than a V-Rod's. If the two of you want to enjoy riding together then get a 'proper' Glide, with plush comfy seat, tourpak and the taller shocks. And only go shopping for one with Mrs D, so both of you know what you're buying!

Old 07-31-2017 | 09:11 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Street Glides have a look that a lot of people like. That makes them bery popular and thus more expensive. Electra Glides can be fitted with a detachable kit to remove the tour pack and the seat exchanged for a sleeker look. It's not quite a Street Glide but pretty close and, when left in the E.G. configuration, is a much more comfortable experience for the passenger. Since the E.G. is not quite as popular it will, as said, sell for less allowing you to get a newer bike with fewer miles.
I agree that you should look for the newest bike with the least miles that you can afford. And don't be afraid to look farther afield, prices can differ quite a bit of you're willing to travel a few hundred miles.

Old 07-31-2017 | 09:35 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Further to OR's words above, the conventional wisdom is that it is cheaper to buy an Ultra and strip it, for SG looks, than to buy an SG and dress it up, like an Ultra. Most of the ladies in our lives will chose an Ultra over an SG any day, if they are riding shotgun!

Long before the SG or RK were invented I bought an EG Sport, because I liked it's stripped down look. You can see it dressed up in my sigpic, which is what it looks like most of the time!

Last edited by grbrown; 07-31-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 07-31-2017 | 09:38 AM
QNman
Supporter

Originally Posted by dremy1011
I'm also seeing Electra Glide Classics in the same price range but newer with less mileage. Price wise it seem pretty reasonable to add the quick detach for the truck. I looked like a difference is it has more chrome and a higher seat? 2011 with 10,000 miles for same price.
If you're looking to put some serious miles on the bike, this is the better option.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy new Touring Bike