Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy new Touring Bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017 | 09:40 AM
dremy1011
|
5th Gear

A lot of great information! I'm going to look at a Road King tonight, Electra Glide Classic and Street Glide tomorrow.

Old 07-31-2017 | 09:46 AM
BB59
Tourer

For touring two up and the long haul there would be no comparison between the 07 SG and the 2011 Electra Glide Classic in stock form. The EG should be much more comfortable for both you and your passenger. It has the new frame, bigger motor, ABS braking, better gearing, more suspension travel, a more comfortable seat (front and rear), passenger foot boards vs. foot pegs on the SG, passing lamps, rear saddle bag protectors (these are essential IMO, don't ask me why) It would also most likely has more of the desired touring options like Cruise Control and Heated grips.
If the SG does not have a Tour Pack that will cost you another $1,500.00 or so.
Two of my riding buddies bought 2016 CVO Street Glides and as much as I think they are beautiful bikes with there lowered suspension and low profile tires I just don’t think they were intended for the long haul in stock form. Both ended up spending thousands getting them where they wanted them for touring.

Old 07-31-2017 | 10:01 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by dremy1011
A lot of great information! I'm going to look at a Road King tonight, Electra Glide Classic and Street Glide tomorrow.
If you do two up riding, the Electra Glide Classic is the way to go. It's got all the accessories and comfort things your wife will enjoy. Plus, you'll get VERY fond of that Tour Pak VERY quickly, and will forget about that detachable option. You won't ever use it! LOL!

Old 07-31-2017 | 10:30 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor

Here is a great source to shop for a used Street Glide. Like above posts, 2009 was the good move on the frame change for better handling, 2009 - 2013 are great bikes when looking for a used bike and getting a good deal. I would try to find one with under 20K on Odometer. Also look at the Road Glides, Ultras and Road Kings to have comfortable touring bike as well.

https://www.chopperexchange.com/Sear...de/Motorcycles

www.longrideshields.com

Old 07-31-2017 | 12:09 PM
micmoren
Tourer

I had a 2015 Road King, loved it: looks, handling, comfort. That was me riding solo. My wife didn't like it as much. We tested an Ultra Limited and she was hooked. She was much more comfortable on the Ultra seat and with the backrest on the tour pack. While the RK seat is not as bare bones as the SG seat, it is not as plush as the Ultra seat.

I could have added a tour pack to the King but in moving to the Ultra, I got a lot more as well.

If you are looking for touring comfort and plan on longer rides more and more, I'd focus on the Electra Glide. The creature comforts it offers make long rides comfortable and enjoyable for both. For occasional touring but mainly in town cruising, the Road King gets my vote.

Old 07-31-2017 | 03:23 PM
nickrat
Tourer

I did what many here are saying, I got a 13 EGC and put detachable kit on for the tour pack and got a Street Glide seat for when I'm solo. I also got a detachable passenger back rest that just sits there. My wife requires the EG seat and tour pack when she is with me. She hated the SG seat and didn't care for the detachable backrest. It was easier to take stuff off than to buy the extras to put on.

Attached Thumbnails Looking to buy new Touring Bike-img_20151229_214911.jpg  
Old 07-31-2017 | 03:31 PM
Rosco61
Cruiser

Road King all the way. You.can tour with it then strip it down to just the bags and cruise as well. And they don't call it the King for nothing and it's their best looking bike.

Old 07-31-2017 | 03:49 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

surdyke hd has brand new 2016 bikes on sale right now. streetglides for 15,999 and flhtk's for 20,999. 2016 heritage for 14,999 and other bikes. now these are left over new 16's but seem to be a very good deals. they are in Festus, missouri, 636-931-8700.

Old 07-31-2017 | 04:31 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

I am not a fan of the tour pack or the jammed in feeling from the EG classics and Ultra. I do not like the rear suspension or the skinny front tire on the Street Glide. Those combined make for a less forgiving ride. I do like the passing lamps on the EC's, Ultra's, standards and Road king. I do really love the RK that I have. It rides well. I can take the shield off when it's hot out and you can dress them up. The tunes/NAV is a nice feature but not a requirement. There are soo many touring bikes out there at the moment take your time and think through what you like and don't for each model.

Old 07-31-2017 | 08:33 PM
Gbass442
Novice

look for a '14 or newer street glide, 103 rushmore motor... has all the upgrades that everyone has bitched about for years... great bike and alot of comfort

Quick Reply: Looking to buy new Touring Bike