Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride like a pro

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 09:43 PM
VA_Larry
Road Captain
Received 123 Likes on 75 Posts

I have all of the videos and watch them regularly. I've also taken the class directly with Jerry in New Port Richey, FL and visited after that for refresher time. I try to practice different drills every time I ride. Even if it's circles and figure 8s in my driveway before I go into the garage.

Class time with an instructor giving real time feedback and coaching you along will improve your riding quickly. Jerry's class structure starts with basic stuff and adds on during the course of the day.

I've known lots of people who have watched the videos, tried the drills, but didn't improve because they were using their old habits and trying to overlay that into the drills. It's hard to measure yourself from the seat of the motorcycle. Some people set up a video recorder, do the drills, and then review.

If a live class is not an option then the videos are a great place to start. Also check for courses like this in your area: http://www.gainesvillepd.org/Virtual...-Safety-Course . This is a FREE course and several police departments are adding these as a community service. I did the police class in the link and really enjoyed it.

Old 07-27-2017, 11:20 PM
brian4.2
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I bought my first Harley in Jan. Bought the video, watched it and practiced. No classes out here so I drove 12 hours to albuquerque. Got in a nice ride and half a day with a couple of Motor cops. Well worth the trip.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:41 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

Nothing compares to classes, here is one close to you, if you don't mind cops. Most are pretty good riders. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/trainin...ions/michigan/

www.longrideshields.com

Old 07-28-2017, 03:45 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-2
Nothing compares to classes, here is one close to you, if you don't mind cops. Most are pretty good riders. https://www.ridelikeapro.com/trainin...ions/michigan/
I agree. With classes you get feedback from someone trained to see flaws in your technique. Videos are ok to get a jump start or for practice after the class is over. But nothing can beat a class with live instruction.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:41 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

I'd recommend these guys over RLAP, and they're probably not all that far from you, though I don't see where in MI you are.

lockandlean.com

midwestmotorcycletraining.com

Old 08-14-2017, 02:07 PM
Drastik
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

As others have said, the RLAP class is much more beneficial than just using the videos. I watched the videos, and later took the class in MD. Definitely worth it.

I've heard great things about lockandlean classes, but I haven't taken one myself.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:17 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I've heard nothing but compliments on the RLAP classes. I've been wanting to take the local class with Jerry, but just haven't been able to swing the schedule in cooler months yet. Anyone can ride straight down the highway, it's the slow stuff that shows your skills, or lack thereof. I know I have room for improvement.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:37 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Ride Like A Pro is awesome, but keep in mind there are many schools around the country that offer similar training. Here is a really good one in Michigan:

http://www.midwestmotorcycletraining.com/index.html

Old 08-14-2017, 08:19 PM
jamala00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,747 Likes on 2,796 Posts

hmm, was just watching some of this on youtube. Wish they had a class around here, I would sign up for sure. I'll have to try some of those techniques next time needed. I'll try them without the passenger first.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:40 PM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 709 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by jamala00
hmm, was just watching some of this on youtube. Wish they had a class around here, I would sign up for sure. I'll have to try some of those techniques next time needed. I'll try them without the passenger first.
Are you in Wisconsin? Lock & Lean is reasonably close to you in Illinois.

http://lockandlean.com/index.html

Last edited by stro1965; 08-14-2017 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Ride like a pro