Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017 | 09:59 AM
solman
|
Intermediate
Default Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore

So I was at the dealership again this past weekend in NJ where I live. I wanted some exhaust clamps but they are not in stock. Had to be ordered. I thought these bikes used the same clamps for years and years. A few weeks back I wanted some molded hoses for the oil breather line and oil lines, you guessed it not in stock. I know the bike I have is an 06 but these parts were used for many years production runs. I guess they need all the room they can get for the t-shirts and baubles that they do have in stock. I have had the same experience at a second dealership and the third dealer I tried had a new parts tech that didn't seem to know much when I enquired about longer cables.
That's my rant for today, now I feel better

The following users liked this post:
jerseyjeff62 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017 | 10:10 AM
Bri894
Tourer

Last wek I went to my local dealer in Jersey and I ran into the same problem. Had to order the part. My bike is a 2013. I ordered it online for less money and free shipping. I was going to have to wait anyway.

Old 07-24-2017 | 10:27 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

Dealers can't stock every inevitable part anyone will ever need. The better dealers likely play the 80/20 rule: 20% covers 80% of the need.

I've actually been impressed with what my local dealer stocks.

Old 07-24-2017 | 10:39 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by solman
So I was at the dealership again this past weekend in NJ where I live. I wanted some exhaust clamps but they are not in stock. Had to be ordered. I thought these bikes used the same clamps for years and years. A few weeks back I wanted some molded hoses for the oil breather line and oil lines, you guessed it not in stock. I know the bike I have is an 06 but these parts were used for many years production runs. I guess they need all the room they can get for the t-shirts and baubles that they do have in stock.
If the dealership sells more t-shirts and baubles than clamps for an 06, why would they stock the clamps? Seems to me that doesn't make financial sense, especially if they can order you the clamps and get them in a few days.

Originally Posted by Bri894
Last wek I went to my local dealer in Jersey and I ran into the same problem. Had to order the part. My bike is a 2013. I ordered it online for less money and free shipping. I was going to have to wait anyway.
That's exactly what I do. I also keep a number of maintenance parts along with some other critical parts in "stock" in my garage.

Old 07-24-2017 | 10:41 AM
solman
|
Intermediate

All good points but it seems to me they were better stocked years ago.

Old 07-24-2017 | 10:57 AM
dDavid
Tourer

Yup, in '06 they probably had a lot of parts in stock for your...'06.

Old 07-24-2017 | 11:08 AM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member

It's all about business and sales points. All smart businesses do that. No reason for that dealership to do any differently, is there? I'm fortunate in that my local dealership stocks a lot more stuff than the norm.

Old 07-24-2017 | 11:13 AM
<G Man>
Cruiser

I hardly think that your dealer not having a specific part for a 12 year old bike qualifies as "Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore".

The following users liked this post:
uncle kebo (07-25-2017)
Old 07-24-2017 | 11:15 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member

A few years ago did you try to buy infrequently used parts on an 11 year old bike?

Old 07-24-2017 | 01:11 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

What I noticed is that dealers that have been in business for a long time tend to have more parts for the older models but yes they can't stock every part and with how often HD changes the parts who would want to. I know I would rather have the latest part than older obsolete one.

Quick Reply: Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore