Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017 | 11:59 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
The better dealers likely play the 80/20 rule: 20% covers 80% of the need.

Hmmm.....before I retired, working as a service advisor for a Honda dealership body shop, I always heard the 80/20 rule like this:

You make 80% of your profit on 20% of your customers. You spend 80% of your time on a DIFFERENT 20% of your customers........

YMMV

Lon

Old 07-25-2017 | 12:04 PM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by solman
So I was at the dealership again this past weekend in NJ where I live. I wanted some exhaust clamps but they are not in stock. Had to be ordered. I thought these bikes used the same clamps for years and years. A few weeks back I wanted some molded hoses for the oil breather line and oil lines, you guessed it not in stock. I know the bike I have is an 06 but these parts were used for many years production runs. I guess they need all the room they can get for the t-shirts and baubles that they do have in stock. I have had the same experience at a second dealership and the third dealer I tried had a new parts tech that didn't seem to know much when I enquired about longer cables.
That's my rant for today, now I feel better
Jersey here too.. I have a 2017 Road King. Wanted a Sundowner seat. Gotta order it. OK, how about the catch funnel and oil filter wrench? Nope, gotta order it. Ok, Fork Fangs? Nope, gotta order them. Adjustable passenger back rest and pad?No, sorry. Gotta order them and the mounts cause you'll need them.But if you want tee shirts we have plenty of them !

The following users liked this post:
solman (07-25-2017)
Old 07-25-2017 | 12:05 PM
<G Man>
Cruiser

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
since it's still a current part, used on 2017 bikes, doesn't seem unreasonable to think it might be in stock.

I never said it would be unreasonable to "think it might be in stock". What I said was that one person's experience doesn't equate to the general statement that the dealer doesn't stock parts.

Maybe they do stock that part, but just sold the last one in stock. Maybe it is so popular that it is on backorder from MoCo.

I have been pleasantly surprised several times to find out my local dealer had a part that I needed in stock. Sometimes they don't have obvious things like a tire for a late model touring bike. It's hit or miss, but I would never equate my individual experience with that of every other person, as in "dealer doesn't XXX".

As far as the comment about making room for t-shirts and "baubles" goes, the reality is that Harley Davidson has been making and selling apparel since 1912. It is hardly a "new thing" or something that has not helped the company make money for over 100 years. It's just more likely in today's world that someone will be offended or throw a tantrum because the world does not center around them and/or somebody else didn't do exactly what they wanted.

There have been many good explanations given in this thread why a dealer may or may not have the part you are looking for at the moment you are looking for it and at the price you want to pay for it. I don't feel the need to repeat them.

If a dealer chooses not to stock any parts anymore, that is none of my business and not my call. I have yet to see an actual dealership (not referring to the satellites that are known as "t-shirt shops") that "does not stock parts".

Old 07-25-2017 | 12:28 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

KIS - Keep It Simple, general rule on parts availability 7 years, unless part is current on newer years. As for ordering, believe general use items are in stock, spark plugs, oil filters etc., & specific parts need to be ordered as due to limited size dealership stockroom IMHO.

It's not rocket science here!

Oh, and the "T" shirts (90%) of them are local dealership advertisements, that you pay for 35 to 60.00 & up, a win-win for the dealership. Shoot, I would stock as many as I could get on the shelves if it was my business IMHO.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists is that no one has tried to contact us.

Last edited by B Bop; 07-25-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 07-25-2017 | 01:51 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

'twas no attack G man. Was merely pointing out that it wasn't an obscure and archaic part, but was a common still in use product.

Old 07-25-2017 | 04:44 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
'twas no attack G man. Was merely pointing out that it wasn't an obscure and archaic part, but was a common still in use product.
May well be common and still in use but how often do they fail? Not trying to be argumentative, just curious. My 07 has never needed one. I can't imagine a new (er) bike would need one all that often. Is it possible it's one of those parts that sells so slowly they decided to use the space for something with a higher turn over?

Old 07-25-2017 | 07:17 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior

I have been waiting 5 weeks for a set of defiance grips I can feel your pain

Old 07-26-2017 | 12:45 AM
From_Behind
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

I walked into my local dealer a month or so ago and bought a pair of muffler clamps - they stocked them.

Old 07-26-2017 | 05:17 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior

Last week I needed the high pressure fuel line that goes from the bottom of the gas tank into the throttle body for my 2010 EG and Gainesville HD had it in stock and they sold it to me with a 10% Veterans discount.

Old 07-26-2017 | 08:30 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Supporter

I wonder if they even stock 60 Wt oil

QUOTE=ShovelEd;16462252]Most dealer "Parts Associates" now would tell you to check with the Smithsonian Museum.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore