Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017 | 01:51 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin
Veteran: Army

You mean I can't just go pick up parts for my '48 Pan?

Old 07-24-2017 | 01:57 PM
ShovelEd
Banned

Originally Posted by IzzoQuazzo
You mean I can't just go pick up parts for my '48 Pan?
Most dealer "Parts Associates" now would tell you to check with the Smithsonian Museum.

The following 3 users liked this post by ShovelEd:
IzzoQuazzo (07-25-2017), Nickatnyt (07-25-2017), stixvrad (07-27-2017)
Old 07-24-2017 | 02:14 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior

Dealers have parts they stock, Harley dictates a lot of what is required to be kept in inventory. They keep a spreadsheet of what moves and what doesn't and stock their shelves with what is sold most often.

Last edited by svarnster; 07-24-2017 at 02:15 PM. Reason: tmi
Old 07-24-2017 | 02:18 PM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: NavyVeteran: National Guard
Community Team

Originally Posted by <G Man>
I hardly think that your dealer not having a specific part for a 12 year old bike qualifies as "Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore".
since it's still a current part, used on 2017 bikes, doesn't seem unreasonable to think it might be in stock.

Old 07-24-2017 | 03:02 PM
Seasoned HDF Member

You may want to consider Indy shop and aftermarket parts.

Old 07-24-2017 | 03:57 PM
1340hog
Tourer

I agree,the older dealers tend to have a better parts stock for older bikes.I had a 98 ultra and up till 2015 when i sold it, never had an issue with getting parts from the dealer.but realisticly one has to realize that at some point parts are going to get harder to get with out ordering.you may have just showed up there after they had a run on those clamps,they can only stock so many.

Old 07-24-2017 | 05:05 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member

A phone call first will save a trip unless, of course, you're already there.
If they have what you need you can go.
If not, there are numerous online dealers selling for a discount and the wait isnt usually any longer than your local ordering it.

Old 07-24-2017 | 06:03 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

It's lucky for you that I read this thread. My "new" bike is 20 years old and I've been down this road many times. My tips below:

Get yourself an HD parts manual. Look up the p/n on the internet and find it there. Ronnie's HD sells HD parts for about 20% off retail. Free shipping over a Benjamin too.

If you can't get the HD part, consider aftermarket. JP cycles is a good place to start (yes I know about the recent shipping issues).

Yes, there are many parts that cover multiple years of bikes. Some go way back. Keeping this in mind, as a last resort when you try your luck at the dealership, give them ONLY the HD p/n and NOTHING else. He's gonna ask you what bike and year it's for. DON"T FALL FOR THIS TRAP! The second you tell him it's for something over 10 years old, that's it, game over. They don't have it. They may have 20 of them in stock but the parts guy isn't going to sell it to you. He may redirect you to the sales guys for a new bike though. If they ask you why you don't know what year/model your bike is, tell them some story. I just tell them I'm an idiot and that the folks back home sent me over here with this p/n. They can check the stock with that HD p/n. That's all they need.

A really good parts guy can find your part in the HD system at another dealership in the Country and have it shipped to them. A bad parts guy will leave you frustrated and ready to knife him. A few years ago the parts GIRL at my local dealership found me an obscure carb part for my ironhead. It was on the shelf at a different dealership in the state. Had it sent over to me and my total cost was $2.75. That part saved me from having to buy a new carb for that old dinosaur. I nearly married that parts girl too.

carl

Old 07-24-2017 | 06:52 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

My local dealer rarely has anything in stock anymore, and as of recent, they wait to place your order until they have a large enough order for them to get free shipping. Needless to say, I switched dealers, and order as much as I can online.

Old 07-24-2017 | 08:46 PM
solman
|
Intermediate

Granted the dealer can't be expected to stock everything, It just seems to me that lately they have very little in stock in the way of hard parts. Some of you are shocked that I would want common parts for a 12 year old bike. Why would I need parts for a new bike? It's the older bikes that need the parts. I'm not talking about the chrome and flash that people buy for their new bikes, but the common wear and tear items such as Exhaust Clamps that need to be replaced from time to time. There must be dozens of models and years that use the SAME clamp. No rubber bushings for the muffler hangers! How many years did they use that same part? They might still use them I'm not sure.

Quick Reply: Dealer doesn't stock parts anymore