Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Cable Adjustment Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 07:54 AM
PPearl
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Clutch Cable Adjustment Question

This is my first Harley and I have question about adjusting the clutch cable. I know how to adjust it, that isn't the problem, but the issue I'm having is that the adjuster keeps loosening itself (red arrow) despite the jam nut (green arrow) being tight. The attached picture isn't my bike, just an image I pulled off google.

Even after tightening the jam nut, I can still move the adjuster with my fingers. I just got back from an 800 mile weekend and had to adjust this cable three times. The threads on the adjuster are oily for some reason. The last time this happened, I sprayed carb cleaner on the threads and cleaned them up the best I could in the parking lot of autozone. I then put a dab of blue locktite on the threads where the jam nut sits. I let it cure for an hour while I had lunch next door. This 'fix' held for 300 miles and I made it home without issue. This morning before I left for work, I checked the adjuster and it's loose enough to move with my fingers again.

The threads aren't stripped...am I missing something? It's a 2009 street glide, probably the original clutch cable (I'm the second owner) if I had to guess. 23k on the odo.

Attached Thumbnails Clutch Cable Adjustment Question-ccable.jpg  
Old 07-24-2017, 07:56 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,893 Likes on 22,770 Posts
The following users liked this post:
PPearl (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:55 AM
PPearl
Tourer

Thanks!

Would the clutch cable adjuster not snugging up (despite the jam nut being tight) be a symptom of a clutch being out of spec like demonstrated in the videos?

Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

well if your gonna adjust your cable its a good idea to do the clutch itself as well since one controls the other, I myself have never adjusted the cable alone and not the clutch itself. so with that said it is possible. I would look at the manual for your bike. on mine there is a spring in the clutch cable housing if I'm remembering right. and adjusting the clutch tightens that spring I believe. I'm not looking at the manual I'm going off memory.
just adjust your clutch and see what happens if not maybe its the spring in the clutch cable housing on the right side of your bike. not knowing your mileage , the type of cable you have on your bike. weather its the original cable or not. if its the original cable it could just need replace. in which case you will have to adjust your clutch when you put a new cable on. like I say there are a lot of factors there to look at

Old 07-24-2017, 01:54 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,862 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've never had the problem you are describing but then I cinch the jam nut to the adjuster pretty good. Do a complete adjustment on a cold engine and let us know how that works out for you.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:04 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

I would try tightening it more, It Is a little hard to get to but I snug it down tight and have never had 1 move. Is the jam nut backing off of the adjuster. A picture of yours might shed some light on the problem. post a pic when u get a chance.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:26 AM
PPearl
Tourer

I appreciate the advice. I tried to do the clutch adjustment last night, but discovered that I'm going to need to pick up a set of wrenches with a heck of a lot more offset than the set in my toolbox offers.

I can see where someone tried to back that nut off before and chewed a corner up. Might as well change the oil since the cover is off and I'm in there anyways.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:49 PM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

It sounds like you might have a bad cable that is leaking if you have oil on it. It shouldn't be that hard to tighten up the adjuster/jam nut

Old 07-26-2017, 04:30 PM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

All the above, and you should pull on it at the clutch perch, and have 1/16 to 1/8 inch of play on the hand lever also.

www.longrideshields.com

Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-2
All the above, and you should pull on it at the clutch perch, and have 1/16 to 1/8 inch of play on the hand lever also.
A nickel on edge is an excellent way to get that gap right.

Quick Reply: Clutch Cable Adjustment Question