Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ear Friendly Mufflers w/ True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 10:57 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Ear Friendly Mufflers w/ True Duals

I've asked a similar question in a couple of other posts but I hoping to get more responses from folks running TD's with this thread.
I replaced my 2-1-2 de-catted header with a set a Bannasi TD's. With the 2-1-2 I was using a set of CVO's with Fullsac 2" baffles along with their screens and blankets. I was very happy with the sound they produced and the noise level seemed to be conducive with my old ears, without the aide of earplugs.
However after adding the TD's with the same mufflers my ears are ringing, even when using ear plugs. The noise level is extremely loud.
I've read that I'm probably losing a little Torque and HP with the TD's, and I'm ok with that. There is something about the delivery of sound, that separate head pipes produce that I like.
I bolted up my 2014 OEM mufflers to the TD's and other than the way they restrict sound at an idle, they sound pretty Ok with me under acceleration and cruising. Deceleration is awesome with that Jake-Brake sound and absolutely no popping at all.
It has been suggested that Night Sticks or Super Traps may be the answer. They are pricey for sure, my problem is that I have never heard them on a HD so that's a concern for an expensive test. I did have a Super Trap on my 640 KTM Adventure and didn't care for the exhaust note at all. (although the KTM was a one-banger).
My thoughts are that maybe mufflers with a 2" outlet but not a straight thru (can see though it) more restrictive baffling might do the trick? Perhaps a set of CVO's in stock form? (I do like the looks of the CVO's with black caps.) Not sure if stock CVO's are 1.75" or 2" outlets? Does anyone off hand know what the outlet on the Crusher Mellows?
"Anywho"....if you are using a muffler set that you really like and are ear friendly WITH YOUR "TRUE DUALS" please let me know

Old 07-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

I have a set of night sticks.If you go to fuelmoto or maybe it's on you tube.They show a bike on a dyno with their e series mufflers.Sound spot on to me.You'll see Jamie operating the dyno.They do a 9 disc run and 13 if I remember correctly.The sound can truly be adjusted by the number of disc.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:06 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 77 Posts

The baffles are 2" on the crusher mellow pipes.There's a washer installed in the tail end of the baffle to force the exhaust into the baffle instead of letting it come down the middle of the baffle.It slows down the flow and makes it a deep quieter sound.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:21 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Thanks for the info Idahokid!

Old 07-09-2017, 10:52 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

jumping in, you'd have seen my comments on the other post.

if you found the sound of the ST's not to your liking, you may not like them on your bike- I do....but y'know taste!

clarification- I;d stay away from nightsticks- a 2" solid core.

the fatshots have a 2" perforated core and are very very similar internally to the supermegs- I have both.

Mike

Old 07-10-2017, 06:46 AM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

I've got the same, True duals, on one of my 110 cvo and ended up with bassani dnt. Imho I think they are the best sounding set I've come across that allows a great deep sound but are ear friendly especially on trips.
Unfortunately there are about 1000 different slipons and 1000different opinions, lol.
You might want to swing by a dealership and listen to a few bikes. They are usually pretty good on taking you back and starting up a few bikes in service so you can hear some different setups.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:42 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree with Tesnevo, it's hard to get a true ideal based on something as subjective as sound. I too just love the sound produced by true duals, but I also like a slip on that is deep and can also bark if you get into the throttle but still be a little mellow on the highway when listening to the radio. I've got the V&H Eliminator 400's, but from what you've said I think you might find them a bit too loud for your taste.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
However after adding the TD's with the same mufflers my ears are ringing, even when using ear plugs. The noise level is extremely loud.

I've read that I'm probably losing a little Torque and HP with the TD's, and I'm ok with that. There is something about the delivery of sound, that separate head pipes produce that I like.
With your previous set-up both mufflers was serving each cylinder, so the exhaust gases and noise were divided between them both. It is one of the successes of the dresser systems H-D has used for so long. With your TDs each muffler now only serves one cylinder, hence the increase in noise. Not a wise move IMHO!

As for torque and power with TDs, we routinely see them misrepresented. With my own bike, swapping from TDs to 2-into-1 gave me almost identical headline numbers, which frankly is to be expected. The significant difference between the two is the much improved low/mid range torque the 2-into-1 gives, along with much smoother running of the engine.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:04 AM
FXR_Hamster
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For what it is worth, I upgraded my header pipe to V&H power duals last year and actually rode with factory mufflers on a 2012 FLHTK, and although this setup had a bit more deeper exhaust "Tone", I decided this year to replace the factory mufflers with the Harley Davidson Screamin Eagle Fatshotz 2 into 2 (basically a factory Supertrapp system). They have the "discs" but also an open end cap. I did want a performance muffler but not too loud, but of course desired and tolerable sound levels can be subjective as we all know. What I might suggest is asking the local dealer if they have any bikes with the various exhaust on them to give them a listen. I was able to compare the HD Street Cannons and HD Fatshotz at my local dealer and that helped me in my decision. I will admit the crusher mellows were on my list and although I had heard the basic Crushers on a bike, I was unable to locate and listen to the "Mellows" version. I can say the Fatshotz have a little bark when on the throttle and appear to compliment the V&H Power duals albeit with a quieter bark than perhaps the HD street cannons or other brand mufflers but that is what I was aiming for. Hopefully you find a few bikes with some setups to compare as this really convinced me which way to go.

Old 07-10-2017, 08:48 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master

Thanks much for everyone's input. For me listening to exhaust tones in a parking lot is nice, but I need to ride 20-30 miles to get a more accurate idea. I'm on my 3rd set of cans and tried a total of seven sets of baffle cores.
This is getting like white tail hunting. Passing up some nice racks for what will probably never come my way.
Misting out this morning, decided to go out to the shop and pull the 2" Fullac's and try to wire feed weld an obstruction pattern in the cores. One of the members mentioned that the Kury Mellows have a 2" washer welded midway in it's cores. Going to try a couple of half washers in the mid section of the cores. Or reduce the baffles inlet and outlet to 1.75". I don't mind experimenting, the 2" cores are too loud for me anyway.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Ear Friendly Mufflers w/ True Duals