Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007 | 10:29 PM
cabbage
Tourer
Default RE: Road King

ORIGINAL: FastHarley

I bought my first bagger last month after much thought. I do not to admit that I mightbe getting a little older and maybe my days of choppers, FX, FXLR, FXR, Softails, and Dyna’s might need another option to ride. I bought a road king I rode it for a few days, just to understand em’. I took it apart to find out how to improve it a little. I started from the front where I am working my way back. I unbolted the 100 pound front end with its reversed triple trees with a 41/2 degree rake in em’and set it aside. I built triple trees that accepted inverted forks with 25mm cartages and built my own valves, resprung, shimmed & resealed up the unit after getting it out of the chrome shop. My forks have no rake and are forward of the stem utilizing the 26 degree steering head. I replaced the lower feet with those that would accept radial mount calipers. I had built a mould for 16” carbon fiber wheels, replacement FL 2X disk hubs, and weighs 4.6 pounds. I put a pair of Metal Matrix rotors (4.2 lbs/pair) in the wheels, while unit weighs 41 ½ pounds w/wheel (no tire). The rear wheel weighs 5.4 Lbs. I bought a 124 S&S 2/cam & a trans w/Spyke 6/speed gears (polished) to make it go. Still working on the primary solution. Going chain final. Bassani true dual exhaust pipes for gas exiting. The rear fork tracks terrible. Weighs in at 35-40 lbs, In the heap. I have not yet but will make an aluminum swing arm that will attach to the outside of the isolation bushing mounts with an extended pivot shaft for stability. A wide tire can be used with this application but I choose not to. A much needed 3rd link will come off of a block that takes the place of the swing arm surrounding the trans and link to the frame to prohibited lateral movement. A 6 piston Caliper, Metal Matrix rotor & carbon fiber wheel will finish off the rear. I have got to do something with that 6 lb rear fender as I used a 1999 Street Stalker front fender with replaced aluminum mounting/reinforcement. I plan on keeping the bags. I have an old shovel front “Batwing” & tour pack. I will make em quick release. I also have Ultra lowers. I will make quick releases for them also. The shocks suck & so does every aftermarket option available out there. I will make needle valve type nitrogen reservoir shocks for adjustability and ride quality (plush/firm). HID headlamp and LED tail light. No foo-foo lights for me. I guess I mean to tell you, there is no need to settle. If you can not choose, kick over the table and fix it. It is our choice. Howard, motorcyclemetal.com Photo is a mould for carbon fiber wheel

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/44BD497CF27048389A97B24914E27218.jpg[/IMG]

holy sheepchit....i was just struggling to put on my passenger footboard chrome cover. had an issue with the bolt...lol thats awesome that you can conjur up your own improved parts and machine em into reality. somehow i think that you are very very much not the norm, thats some crazy arss chit you are doing to your bike. how does it ride thus far?

Old 06-08-2007 | 10:31 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

Don't listen to cubcake. He doesn't know how to ride an 07 with the new 6 speed transmission. I have a Road King Classic and couldn't be happier. Just don't lug it.

Old 06-08-2007 | 10:31 PM
cubcake1
Tourer
Default RE: 07 Road King

ORIGINAL: cabbage

ORIGINAL: cubcake1

Not worried about the 5th gear clatter? Make sure you read the 07 tranny problem post before you commit to a bike. A LONG test ride would be my suggestion. Get the motor AND tranny up to full operating temp, at least 10-15 miles stop and go traffic, ride 55 in 5th gear. Then make up your mind.
55 in 5th? with the 6 speed gearing im shifting to 5th at 60-65, makes for a much smoother experience. 5th gear doesnt want to come out till 60-65, anything before that is premature shiftulation imho.
The manual says:

First to Second 15mph
Second to third 25 MPH
third to fourth 35 mph
fourth to fifth 45 mph
fifth to sixth 55 mph

I dont shift THAT low, but my bike wants 5th gear at 55, cant have it tho, too much clatter.

Old 06-08-2007 | 11:00 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor

I have not finished the project yet. Go 2 my site & U can see the front end on my FXR where I did my R&R for it. The front end internals are the same as those on super bikes that you see at the track. The only difference is the spring rate, shims, and valving as the bike is 700-800 lb range. I am making the tank now as I stretched it 3" in the rear to go around the seat, than due to the fact that the bike has forward of the stem forks, the bike appears to have the backbone stretched 3 1/2”. A 3 ½” stretch is necessary to fill the gap with gas tank. A chopper type look (smooth thin & long) will be the theme. No gauges, just Bullets on the handlebars with mini’s Dakotas. I aircraft gas cap only. A EFI fuel pump can be relocated next/beneath the battery with LED low fuel indicator mounted remotely. I made this bike to corner and be responsive from the beginning. Lightweight, fantastic components and common sense are the ingredients to this project. 6.9” of trail with huge rake (26 + 4.5 degrees) and a 100 lb front end that is sloppy at best was not to my liking. Thanks for looking Howard motorcyclemetal.com This is my FXR that I m putting on a set of carbon fiber wheels today. 113 Ci TP worked over, less than 500 pounds, 6 speed.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/23CDE99825B848A2AB7C397580112E27.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-08-2007 | 11:04 PM
jethro001
Tourer

I love my Road King Classic no issues riding around town and out on the highway so comfortable...doesn't get any better!!!1

Old 06-08-2007 | 11:12 PM
ace57
Cruiser

Well, its' been said a lot before, but theres a reason they call it the King.
I enjoy my RKcust. far more than my lowrider or sporty, however to be fair I never had an 88B bike.

ace57
'06 FLHRS "mattie"

Old 06-08-2007 | 11:18 PM
Madav8tr
Road Captain

but my bike wants 5th gear at 55, cant have it tho, too much clatter
Then it obviously doesn't want 5th at that speed....regardless of what the book says.

Old 06-09-2007 | 02:36 AM
RiderX
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Madav8tr

but my bike wants 5th gear at 55, cant have it tho, too much clatter
Then it obviously doesn't want 5th at that speed....regardless of what the book says.
Exactly! His comment does not make sense. My Road King Classic does not get to see fifth gear until about 60-65. If I am in a traffic situation that I know I will be constantly dropping down to or riding at 60 most of the time, I keep it in fourth. When I know I can cruise along at speeds higher than 60 for a prolonged period of time it is fifth gear all of the way. Sixth gear does not come out until about 75mph.

Old 06-09-2007 | 02:55 AM
RandyNC
Tourer

Had a 03 Heritage and I really loved it. Have a 2006 Road King Custom now and I love it more...easy to handle at low speeds, can't tell much difference with the low speed handling. Air ride makes a long trip feel much better on your butt. Passenger seems to be more compfy. Hmmmmm

Old 06-09-2007 | 08:11 AM
Snort
Road Captain

Go with the King! I have an '07 Classic and couldn't be happier with it. As far as 5th gear noise goes, it calms down after awhile, actually I wouldn't mind a little 3rd gear noise so I could get a clue as to what gear I'm in sometimes