Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side lighting 04 RKC ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:49 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts
Lightbulb Side lighting 04 RKC ?

Rear lighting 04 RKC....what about lighting for the sides?

New bike owner here. Always was a Harley owner wannabe, so finally bit the bullet and got a really nice RKC.

Drove a few friends very small bikes 35 yrs ago, but now own something much bigger! *(my first bike)

I worry about folks not seeing me. (I also drive a very small Austin Mini, so am situationally aware already)

Probably a newb question, but here goes.

Has anyone added red and/or orange marker or side lighting along the front or rear of a Road King?

There's not much to light up the side of the bikes.

Again, I am sure this is discussed, but so far on the forums, I haven't seen much mention of SIDE lighting and I worry about the cages trying to get me !

<EDIT> (there's already been lots of of lights added by the PO ) to the back of my bike. Hope the pic makes the forum. Sorry for the mess....it's a tiny garage !.

Last edited by ve9aa; 07-04-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:54 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,199 Likes on 4,406 Posts

Not to my liking... don't care for the looks at all...

For future reference; you could have gotten a BAL (bright *** lights) stoplight and added LED blinkers with a run/stop/turn converter.... you would have ended up with just as much light and a much better looking solution...

As for side lights, personally I believe the bike profile is short enough that with good front & rear lighting, additional sidelights are unnecessary....

I guess you could always stick a few more of those lights on the site of your bike if you're really worried....

Old 07-04-2017, 05:21 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 565 Likes on 394 Posts

SOLAS reflective tape,much easier to install.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:41 PM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member
Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts

Operating a bike with any side lights is illegal in Virginia. Red ones are illegal in virtually every state as are blue. I'd check the laws where you intend to ride and see what lighting is permitted before you randomly start adding lights.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:19 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 641 Likes on 495 Posts

Don't over think this riding thang, OP...if side lighting was an issue, DOT would have required it generations ago.

​​​​​​​Were I you, I'd be more about developing my riding skills and intuition. ..especially if this your first bike and if you're in your middle age. If that fits you, you've gotten real used to being alive and that could lead to riding timidly, which is a danger in and of itself! Riding timidly is a different ball game than riding cautiously...

Old 07-04-2017, 07:52 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

I should have phrased that better. The PO added all the rear lighting many yrs ago before I bought the bike.

Personally, I was wondering about side lighting.

Thanks guys.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:36 PM
KYBill
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the OP has a legit concern, although the rear lighting is more of a deficiecy on the RKC with the leather Tour Pack. Fortunately his prior owner has more than made up for this deficiency, though perhaps not in the most tasteful way.

With the leather tour pack in the rear adjustable position the tail light is not prominent in daytime. I changed mine to har bal few years ago and certain it is pretty conspicous at night. Harley has an abundance of light bar options for the hard shell (painted) tour packs which wrap to the sides, but nothing designed for the leather tour pack.

I bought an led light bar designed for truck mounting which is 10-12" wide that I'll mount to the tour pack lid, and a couple ofbsmall retro stle marker lights I'm planning to add as either run/turn signals to the saddle bags. Pretty doubtful I'll get ticketed but more than willling to take my chances.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:11 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Too many lights in back for my liking. If you MUST have side lights, possibly the Custom Dynamics ground effects LED lights might be the better choice (assuming you want these lights for night time). Inconspicuous and they light up the ground underneath your bike, but dunno, you might lose some of those in back.

Old 07-05-2017, 08:41 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,073 Posts

They came stock with side reflectors on the frame's front down tubes and the rear crash bars. Many times those are removed by owners, but are easily replaced, and the parts are cheap. Like ~$5 each cheap.

PN 59258-91 for the amber frame reflectors
PN 59370-90 for the red right saddlebag rail reflector
PN 59371-90 for the red left saddlebag rail reflector

Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

I actually think that the rear lighting, as it is, may be counterproductive safety wise. Yes, it's very visable but I think the brake and turn signals may get lost in all the glare.
As far as side lighting, I think the reflective tape would be a better eye catcher than lighting. Lights can get lost in the background but the flash and color of reflective tape say pay attention here.

Quick Reply: Side lighting 04 RKC ?