Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuners, CAT, heat, and stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 08:51 AM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Tuners, CAT, heat, and stuff

Wondering a few things; 2015 FLHXS

Has anyone ever put the CAT back on?
Have I just forgotten the unbearable heat?
Can you use a tuner with the CAT in place to help reduce the heat?

I enjoyed the sound of my bike on long road trips with the CAT in place vs the last 20k miles without, but I enjoy the heat reduction now without. I also enjoyed the odorless exhaust with the CAT, but enjoy the free flow exhaust without.

I know....[*everyone rolls eyes]

Old 07-04-2017, 09:02 AM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

I don't think you're gonna get anyone to recommend putting the cat back in put seeing we live in America you can do what you want if you look at the FP3 from v&h you can use that programmer on any set up you want

Old 07-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Paul32730
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Exhaust

Hey,

I just got rid of my Street Bob. I had V&H Big Shots on it, ceramic coated black. I loved the pipes, but they wore on me on long trips.

What I did was buy a set of the V&H quiet baffles (the kind you can wrap with fiberglass). I swapped those out a few times with the standard baffles. I found I liked the lower, deeper tone of the quiet baffles over time and ended up just leaving them in.

Not sure if this helps, but it's a heck of a lot easier than messing around with the head pipes. Only takes about 15 minutes to swap out.

If the V&H baffles won't work for you look at Big City Thunder. They have two or three types that will fit most pipes.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:06 AM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Paul32730
Hey,

I just got rid of my Street Bob. I had V&H Big Shots on it, ceramic coated black. I loved the pipes, but they wore on me on long trips.

What I did was buy a set of the V&H quiet baffles (the kind you can wrap with fiberglass). I swapped those out a few times with the standard baffles. I found I liked the lower, deeper tone of the quiet baffles over time and ended up just leaving them in.

Not sure if this helps, but it's a heck of a lot easier than messing around with the head pipes. Only takes about 15 minutes to swap out.

If the V&H baffles won't work for you look at Big City Thunder. They have two or three types that will fit most pipes.
I looked at SuperTrapp stouts and V&H OS 450s with quiet baffle.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:08 AM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by big- mike
I don't think you're gonna get anyone to recommend putting the cat back in put seeing we live in America you can do what you want if you look at the FP3 from v&h you can use that programmer on any set up you want
I use a PowerVision now, works great. Didn't know if you tuned with the CAT would it decrease the heat over the stock tune setup?

Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I've had enough of the heat on my Triglide but I didn't spend as much money as I did on my Ultra where I spent a bundle on true duals, SE Stage 1 air filter and PC-V so I went the cheaper way: decatted headers, K&N Stage 1 air filter and FL-ViED 10.
I didn't buy a trike to make it run like a raped ape. It's all about comfort and reasonable performance 2-up, nothing else. Wait, there's something else: sound. If I don't like the sound of my V&H slash round with the decatted headers, I'll put CFRs like I did on the Ultra. I've yet to hear better sounding pipes and I've pretty much heard them all.

Old 07-04-2017, 10:29 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

my crossover is starting to show the miles and starting to rust through. i noticed it the other day when i was messing with the tires and cleaning the bike. i kept the original header pipes so, i might put them back on along with the stock mufflers. i have some rc exhaust and header pipes that have about 45000 miles on them. might be a good project at the end of summer. will have to break out the cat from the original pipes. i don't know if you can ever manage the heat. i think its just a byproduct of putting your a$$ on top of a V-twin.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:25 AM
smalls78
Road Captain

Originally Posted by cass
i don't know if you can ever manage the heat. i think its just a byproduct of putting your a$$ on top of a V-twin.
Agreed!

Old 07-04-2017, 12:26 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

The problem with tuning for performance with a cat is the richer mixture will cause the cat to run hotter burning the extra fuel. I think your best solution is finding quieter or better sounding baffles or slip-ons.

Old 07-04-2017, 01:59 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
The problem with tuning for performance with a cat is the richer mixture will cause the cat to run hotter burning the extra fuel. I think your best solution is finding quieter or better sounding baffles or slip-ons.
IMO, running catless, whether it's decatted stock headers or aftermarket, is a no-brainer. The cat is a furnace and there's no good solution other than getting rid of it one way or another. Not saying sitting on top of an engine is not going to be hot but there's no justification for making the situation worse by keeping the cat.

Quick Reply: Tuners, CAT, heat, and stuff