Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip on

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 09:58 AM
dssfaxman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slip on

Hello, I wanted to see if this worth a shot. I have a set of slip on pipes left from my 2002 Ultra Classic. I wondered if I could remove the baffles and put them on my 2016 Ultra Classic? Yes I know they are not supposed to fit but how do we know if no one tries it. Does anyone know for sure that it will not work?? Thank you

Old 06-30-2017, 10:23 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

physically you can fit anything from 1995 to 2016

the results- well...

pipe design uses alot of physics to keep the exhaust gas velocity high- which is good for power- esp down low.

random pipes will give random results

many "grasshoppers" go through this phase drilling or banging etc- it is part of the learning experience.

you will notice that with the catalytic converter in the header, there is not as much difference as you would expect

welcome to the forums

Old 06-30-2017, 11:14 AM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,375 Likes on 6,154 Posts

No idea about your scenario but I had an 04 Electra Glide and my buddy had a 2010 Electra Glide. He gave me a set of slip ons from his bike and some folks told me it wouldn't fit my bike. Guess what? They fit perfectly and sounded/performed great. Its an easy enough thing to swap them out so if it works for you then great, if not then its just about 10 or 15 minutes to put the originals back on.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:47 PM
dssfaxman
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just figured since I had them sitting in the garage I would not lose the $500 that everyone wants for a good set of slip ons. I am being a little vain, I am looking for a Harley rumble not power. Thanks

Old 06-30-2017, 01:50 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

many riders are happy with the sound of the stock mufflers once the cat is removed from the header.

this can be DIY if you weld and there are tutorials on the forums.

or ebay for about $150

universally cats went into the header for 2010 model year- the restriction of the cat impedes flow and breaks up sound waves, to a point where the stock mufflers can be much more open than those used for 2009 and earlier

mike

Old 06-30-2017, 05:50 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by dssfaxman
Hello, I wanted to see if this worth a shot. I have a set of slip on pipes left from my 2002 Ultra Classic. I wondered if I could remove the baffles and put them on my 2016 Ultra Classic? Yes I know they are not supposed to fit but how do we know if no one tries it. Does anyone know for sure that it will not work?? Thank you
You say 'slip ons'...are you referring to stock mufflers, or aftermarket mufflers? If they are the latter, and especially if you remove the cat from your current headpipe, I believe you'll be pretty impressed with the sound.

I am firmly against the concept of removing baffles from any muffler, in favor of getting a muffler with baffling designed for power and/or sound. When you remove the baffles, most of the time there is less back pressure, certainly more noise...as opposed to 'sound'...but these Big Twin engines require a fair amount of back pressure in order to run well. The baffling for any particular design of muffler is intended to provide that, with the noise issue between OEM and aftermarket being largely driven by EPA noise regulations and emissions...neither of which you and I give a rip about!