Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 11:22 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
For everyone saying that they're only getting 8k on stock Dunlop rears, I got a total of 35,000 miles on two stock rears. Giving CII's a try, just because. But, Dunlops got excellent mileage. Sorry I didn't get a pic.

However, here's my stock Dunlop front at 27,000:
That is outstanding mileage referencing photo of front, hell it looks like it can make it easily to 30,000 or 35,000 miles. Wow!

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Last edited by B Bop; 07-06-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:34 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by B Bop
That is outstanding mileage referencing photo of front, hell it looks like it can make it easily to 30,000 or 35,000 miles. Wow!

B Bop

Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
I was leaving for Run For The Wall within a few weeks of that pic, so no way I was risking it on a 7,000 mile ride, so I put a new CII on it shortly after the pic was taken.

I will say this, after having stock Dunlops, including a second rear, and now going to CII's front and back, the improvement in handling, both at low speeds and in high speed sweepers, is astonishing.

Updates on mileage when I can.

Old 07-06-2017, 11:50 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Your speaking of Michelin CII correct? Will look at reviews.

Enjoy your trip, visiting the wall is very patriotic & overwhelming at the same time.

B Bop

A politician is a fellow who will lay down “your” life for his country.

Old 07-07-2017, 01:02 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

It appears there are a few really good touring tires out there, and majority of good reviews on this thread lean towards Dunlop AE's.

It depends on preference, if you want good grip (the mileage suffers), or you want mileage (the better grip suffers).

Will continue looking and see what others have to offer from experience.

My preference is limited to narrow white walls (like the original look) besides the little white wall really breaks up tire contrast and looks great on chrome spoke laced tubeless rims in relation to the Road King nostalgic look IMHO.

Keep suggestions coming in, as this thread is very educational.

B Bop

Great spirits have always encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds.

Old 07-07-2017, 02:53 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I have about 20,000 kms(12,000 mi) on my AEs and as was said , I figure I should get another 4or5,000 miles out of the rear and more than that out of the front.
I was replacing a rear tire every spring with the stock ones , but I'm on my second season with these. A season is usually about 10,000 miles , give or take.
I also find that these ride , and handle better than the stock set . They are also far better in rain , I'm quite happy with them so far .
Scott

Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

06 Ultra Classic - I also find that these ride , and handle better than the stock set . They are also far better in rain , I'm quite happy with them so far.

How are your Dunlop AE's compared to original tires on tar snakes? You mentioned the AE's handle uneven road surfaces very well as previously mentioned my wife will not ride after my recent encounter with tar snakes.

At this point believe enough information was presented to evaluate my next tire purchase.

B Bop

[I]Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane and going in the wrong direction…

Last edited by B Bop; 07-09-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 02:41 PM
06 Ultra Classic
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They are far better on tar snakes, not perfect, but not bad like the originals. Best bet is still to avoid them wherever possible, but I found they don't cause the violent reaction that I was getting.
I will be replacing them with AEs as they wear out.
Scott

The following users liked this post:
B Bop (07-11-2017)
Old 07-09-2017, 04:44 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Man this tire thread came at the right time, took the scoot out for a good run at noon today, one hour out rear tire went flat at 50 mph felt a little wobble like hitting tar snakes let off throttle feathering front brake slowing to 15 mph as the rest of the air came out made a safe stop 75 feet off shoulder of road off of route 100N in Bechtelsville, PA

Got a tow hour 25 minutes later (not bad for a Sunday). Got real lucky contacted BRESSLER'S INC. out of Morgantown, PA they are 27 miles away. These guy's are real towing professionals, they put scoot in a front wheel hold down, with 4 tie down straps with cloth rags (not to scratch paint & chrome).
I was very impressed on their attentiveness to detail. They explained to detail of why & what they are doing. Also asked me to view restraints & establish rigidity. Wow!

Need to give these guy's a call when your stranded. BRESSLER'S INC. Morgantown, Glenn Hills, Reading, Ephrata, PA. They do all variations of towing & transports. 24 hour Emergency Service 1-800-246-6013

Tomorrow will take a good look at my rear rim checking for any damage, also will order a set of Dunlop AE's.

Appreciate everyone's insight.

B Bop

Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to ride in the rain. WDB

Last edited by B Bop; 07-09-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 03:31 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I am in the crowd that really likes the AE's. The stock tires always cup on me, starting anywhere between 5-8k miles. The noise drove me crazy. Went to AE's as my second set of tires on my '13 RGU and got an easy 20k miles on them, with cupping only in maybe the last couple of thousand miles. Since then I put another 20k miles on the '13 RGU and 95k miles on my '14 Limited, and all on AE's except the first few thousand on the stock tires with the new bike. I won't use anything else. I consistently see an average of 20k miles per set and I always change them as a set.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:54 PM
kballowe
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I change a lot of tires. People tell me that they always keep the air pressure up to spec in their tires.

BS.

OK, some of them do - and they have a really crappy air gauge. OR - they check the pressure AFTER they've ridden them down the road and warmed up the tires. Most of the stuff that comes thru here will nearly always have less than 30 PSI.

Want a second opinion? Ask the tech at the local dealer what they see.........

Get a quality tire gauge. Check the air pressure in the morning BEFORE riding the bike.

If your tires are cupping - it's lack of proper air pressure.

Once ya get a cupping pattern - it almost always gets worse - no matter what you do afterwards.

Back to the original question - Yes - the American Elite tires give good service. A Pirelli MT 66 Route is also a great budget tire .

Last edited by kballowe; 07-10-2017 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?