Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 04:56 PM
StevenHousden
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I just purchased this one on amazon
Amazon Amazon
It is the exact same tire without the HD logo on it. Half the price. This is the second tire I have got from there. No issues with it...came in 2 days. Picture is right after I had it mounted and I put it back on the bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by StevenHousden:
B Bop (07-07-2017), Ricky Bob (02-09-2018)
Old 07-05-2017, 05:18 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 01dyna
Well, they say a pic is worth a thousand words so here goes:

American Elite after 8,000 miles. I'm replacing next week.

And yes, I always check my tire pressure regularly...

Pics of stock Dunlops that I posted on this forum in 2015 after 10,000 miles:

Dunlop stock with 10k+ miles

I was always happy with the stockers and am considering going back to them. Had Michelin tires once on my dyna years ago and didn't think they were any better than Dunlops. Might try Metzlers this time.

I've put in my .02 and backed it up with pics. Good luck with your tire purchase, regardless of what you buy.
What model number are those pre-maturely worn out Dunlop AE's tire, I'm thinking they might me the soft compound version, that sounds logical compared to what others have posted on mileage difference. I'm just speculating here as it's the only answer I can presently come up with.

Second, last photo is the clearest of them all, photo's are worth a thousand words only if you can see the photo clearly. Do you have other photo's for comparison?

Appreciate your comments.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Last edited by B Bop; 07-05-2017 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:52 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

______

Old 07-05-2017, 10:25 PM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by vistavette
I don't think I've ever had an AE cup on me; the OEM tire that came with the bike did, but that was a known issue and replaced with the D408F.

As far as miles go it varies a bit depending on exactly where I've been riding and the time of year (I ride year 'round here) but my last two tire logs are listed below. Fronts will range from about 18k to 23k and the rear will run from around 12k to 15k. One thing about mileage though: Its subjective. I replace my tires as the center markers are just starting to show or even out. I know other guys who will run a tire until the tread is basically flat; they look like racing slicks- which translates to a few thousand miles.

My last front tire was installed at 77,225 miles and going back through my records the tire prior to that was at 53,900 so 23,325 for the front.

The rears don't last nearly as long: I show I had one at 55,475 miles and the most recent one was installed at 70,716 so 15,241 miles.

The AE have a bit higher max pressure than the stock D407's (one or two psi I think) and I run the rear at exactly 41 psi as opposed to 40 psi that the owners manual states. Of course it could all be in my head but that small difference in pressure seems to make a difference in both ride and longevity
I agree, excellent & detailed information, good job! Just wondering if warranty and or liability comes into play if manufactures maximum pressure is exceeded? But then there needs to be a buffer, say + or - 5% as not all air serviced gauges digital or analog are calibrated under NIST standards. There is however wiggle room, not sure how much buuuut it would be safe to say not to exceed 5% of max stated air pressure as displayed on every tire. This guideline should fall in between gauge error within reason IMHO.

B Bop

Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.

Last edited by B Bop; 07-05-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:38 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 74,714 Likes on 22,477 Posts

My wrench whom has no vested interest in any tire or manufacturer says that he really likes the Pirelli Night Dragons.

Old 07-06-2017, 09:19 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Well, they say a pic is worth a thousand words so here goes:

American Elite after 8,000 miles. I'm replacing next week.

And yes, I always check my tire pressure regularly...

Pics of stock Dunlops that I posted on this forum in 2015 after 10,000 miles:

I was always happy with the stockers and am considering going back to them. Had Michelin tires once on my dyna years ago and didn't think they were any better than Dunlops. Might try Metzlers this time.

I've put in my .02 and backed it up with pics. Good luck with your tire purchase, regardless of what you buy.
There's more to this story than meets the eye. Where is Andy Rooney when you need "The Rest of the Story?"

Old 07-06-2017, 10:16 AM
B Bop
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lionsm13
My wrench whom has no vested interest in any tire or manufacturer says that he really likes the Pirelli Night Dragons.
Great reviews, buuuut there is always a tradeoff "mileage", ya just can't have it both ways... only if I could change tires like a NASCAR pit crew LOL.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...on-review.html

B Bop

No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the legislature is in session.

Old 07-06-2017, 12:07 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
There's more to this story than meets the eye. Where is Andy Rooney when you need "The Rest of the Story?"
No, not really...American Elites are pretty much bald and cupped after 8,000 miles....that's the story.

Heres a couple more pics:

American Elite tire after 8000 miles

Its still on my bike. I'm getting them replaced next week.

And again, I'd always had Dunlop stockers before and been very happy. Again, here is a pic of a Dunlop Stock tire I posted on this forum in 2015 with 10,000+ miles on it. A lot better tread and no cupping.

Really nothing more to the story than that. Pics speak for themselves...

Old 07-06-2017, 12:12 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,689 Likes on 1,365 Posts

No, not really...American Elites are pretty much bald and cupped after 8,000 miles....that's the story.

Heres a couple more pics:

American Elite tire after 8000 miles

Its still on my bike. I'm getting them replaced next week.

And again, I'd always had Dunlop stockers before and been very happy. Again, here is a pic of a Dunlop Stock tire I posted on this forum in 2015 with 10,000+ miles on it. A lot better tread and no cupping.

Really nothing more to the story than that. Pics speak for themselves...
No, I understood that this is your experience. I was just wondering why is was so different from everyone we ride with and uses AE. They look like the wear of Elite 3's, not AEs. I see they are clearly marked American Elites. So why your pair wore so fast must have an interesting story. I get 15-16,000 two up hard riding on AEs. If I got 8000 like you, I'd also switch tires. But I have had three sets and I just think the reasons you only got 8000 must have a good reason. Bad batch, something to make it non-typical.

Last edited by son of the hounds; 07-06-2017 at 12:23 PM.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:40 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by son of the hounds
No, I understood that this is your experience. I was just wondering why is was so different from everyone we ride with and uses AE. They look like the wear of Elite 3's, not AEs. I see they are clearly marked American Elites. So why your pair wore so fast must have an interesting story. I get 15-16,000 two up hard riding on AEs. If I got 8000 like you, I'd also switch tires. But I have had three sets and I just think the reasons you only got 8000 must have a good reason. Bad batch, something to make it non-typical.
Lots of big smoky burnouts??

Quick Reply: Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?