Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 08:03 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Almost 80k miles on my 2009 Ultra and most of the miles have been on American Elites. While the compound is supposed to be the same as the OEM D407/408 tires the tread patterns a little different and the tire feel significantly better than the OEM. The bottom line is I think the American Elite is a great tire.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:51 PM
andyrffr
Novice
Received 20 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put a new one on the back of my pig this weekend. Most baggers I know in my local area are running them.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by vistavette
Almost 80k miles on my 2009 Ultra and most of the miles have been on American Elites. While the compound is supposed to be the same as the OEM D407/408 tires the tread patterns a little different and the tire feel significantly better than the OEM. The bottom line is I think the American Elite is a great tire.
Have two questions: 1)- Did your American Elites tread side walls cup at any time, if so do you recall the mileage? As this is the deal breaker with me as my Harley factory Dunlop's cupped around 10 to 11,000 miles and it's a PITA on each 40 mph & up wide turns (like riding on a old stile wash board).
2)- How many miles did you get out of your American Elites?

Appreciate it,

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down “your” life for his country.

Last edited by B Bop; 07-03-2017 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:32 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by B Bop
Have two questions: 1)- Did your American Elites tread side walls cup at any time, if so do you recall the mileage? As this is the deal breaker with me as my Harley factory Dunlop's cupped around 10 to 11,000 miles and it's a PITA on each 40 mph & up wide turns (like riding on a old stile wash board).

Appreciate it,

B Bop

Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

A politician is a fellow who will lay down “your” life for his country.
I don't think I've ever had an AE cup on me; the OEM tire that came with the bike did, but that was a known issue and replaced with the D408F.

As far as miles go it varies a bit depending on exactly where I've been riding and the time of year (I ride year 'round here) but my last two tire logs are listed below. Fronts will range from about 18k to 23k and the rear will run from around 12k to 15k. One thing about mileage though: Its subjective. I replace my tires as the center markers are just starting to show or even out. I know other guys who will run a tire until the tread is basically flat; they look like racing slicks- which translates to a few thousand miles.

My last front tire was installed at 77,225 miles and going back through my records the tire prior to that was at 53,900 so 23,325 for the front.

The rears don't last nearly as long: I show I had one at 55,475 miles and the most recent one was installed at 70,716 so 15,241 miles.

The AE have a bit higher max pressure than the stock D407's (one or two psi I think) and I run the rear at exactly 41 psi as opposed to 40 psi that the owners manual states. Of course it could all be in my head but that small difference in pressure seems to make a difference in both ride and longevity

The following users liked this post:
B Bop (07-05-2017)
Old 07-04-2017, 10:15 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I run 40/40.
I get between 16,000-17,000 on my rear at -3/32s. I change the front at the same time even though I "could" ride it another 3000.
My side walls are usually well below 2/32s on both front and rear at 15,000-16,000.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:44 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

I went to AE's from my stock tires. I only have a few hundred miles on them, but they seem to be great so far. I've both the AE's and MC2's, and I'd say they are very comparable in grip, wear, and ride.

Old 07-04-2017, 06:10 PM
lefty33
Road Warrior
Received 651 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by B Bop
Appreciate it,
]
Over 12,000 miles on my rear AE and honestly, looks like it could go another 10,000. No cupping to be seen. Will be putting a new AE on the front here shortly.

I'm really happy with the AE over the stock tires. Handle great, quiet & smooth, excellent wet traction, and handle the "tar snakes" way better than stock. No reason to look elsewhere for me.

The following users liked this post:
Sujada (07-05-2017)
Old 07-05-2017, 11:51 AM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Some really good input here, was originally open to any tire, obviously chose Dunlop AE's over others as I wanted factory look "narrow white walls", (looks fantastic with aluminum laced chrome profile spoke tubeless rims), and second believe Dunlop's have long standing reputation.

Was hesitant at first as original factory Dunlop's are presently in use at 14,000 miles and I'm not happy at all. From 8,000 to present appear to be getting worse. Seem to wear well buuuuut handle like crap, poor on turns (cupping) front & rear, when riding 2/up my wife doesn't like to ride with me anymore. The uneven road conditions make handling impossible, & the tar snakes make handling unstable & jerky.

Bottom line - Have been using Dunlop's on my cars forever, so I'm willing to overlook scoots factory Dunlop's as first bad experience, reading recent reviews showing dramatic improvements, I'm willing to give it another chance IMHO.

Appreciate everyone's input immensely, post all your comments & experiences, the more the better!

B Bop

Great spirits have always encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds.

Old 07-05-2017, 03:53 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts

Well, they say a pic is worth a thousand words so here goes:

American Elite after 8,000 miles. I'm replacing next week.

And yes, I always check my tire pressure regularly...

Pics of stock Dunlops that I posted on this forum in 2015 after 10,000 miles:

Dunlop stock with 10k+ miles

I was always happy with the stockers and am considering going back to them. Had Michelin tires once on my dyna years ago and didn't think they were any better than Dunlops. Might try Metzlers this time.

I've put in my .02 and backed it up with pics. Good luck with your tire purchase, regardless of what you buy.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:29 PM
jimsuver
Supporter
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sure like mine, but went from the stockers. For an 07 with the small wheels they made it ride like a new bike.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?