Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 07:39 PM
jlfabian
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an AE put on the rear last summer and just had the front replaced also with the AE. So far so good. No complaints - the tires are wearing well, I get really good grip, no cupping, and while I have the thin white wall, I see no staining. I got around 15k on the last rear and 23k on the last front. They were AE's as well. I plan on sticking with them unless there's another tire released that provides more miles, better traction, and is cheaper. Most of my riding is backroads and state highways, not too much interstate, but some. The club likes to go to various different places and take the out-of-the-way routes, so we hit a lot of twisties and while we obey most traffic laws, it's not that we don't push it some. Not all bikes in the club are Harley's so there's a variety of riding that goes on. Most of our jaunts are over 100+ miles over a wide variety of terrain. So, based on what I've described, the AE's have performed very well for me.

Old 06-30-2017, 08:01 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

The stocker Dunlop cupped....I put on a set of AE myself, with beads, rear cupped.....Tried another set, took wheels to indie to install tires with him balancing, rear cupped.....

I was religious about checking air pressure.......

Went to a ME 888 on rear about 200 miles ago (had a thread going about the 888 a few weeks ago)......good so far....the Metz is a higher psi tire than the Dunlop.....42 vs 50....I am running the 888 at 48-50 psi.....with no weights or beads.....

I have found no satisfactory answer about the cupping.....I am probably done with Dunlops......

The following users liked this post:
vspkent (07-02-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 01:35 PM
01dyna
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2,014 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
that is not a change from the stock. the stock tire is dual compound also.
I looked it up and yes, you are correct...the stock Dunlops are dual compound as well..my bad.

OP, you're gonna get a lot of different opinions on tires. I'd just suggest you shop and try until you find the ones best suited for you and your riding style.

Buy a pair and see if you like them.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:28 PM
HOGNOT
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
like mine just fine. got a little over 10k miles on them and they look like they could easily go another 10...
Same here.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:05 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I am on my third pair of American Elites. Liked them better than stock and I get 15,000-16,000 out of the AE's. I replace both when one hits 3/32. I ride hard and long, so I don't want to be thinking of replacing one tire in Timbuktu. I've done that and was happy to get any brand as long as it fits. Originally, I went in to get Commnder IIs, but they were in recall so I went with the AEs. I have not been sorry. I check tire pressure every couple of weeks and they hold firm, all three sets have. I ride in rain as well as desert heat of 110F+ and two up much of the time. Hope they don't screw with them and try to improve them.

Old 07-01-2017, 07:27 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by bentryder
The stocker Dunlop cupped....I put on a set of AE myself, with beads, rear cupped.....Tried another set, took wheels to indie to install tires with him balancing, rear cupped.....

I was religious about checking air pressure.......

Went to a ME 888 on rear about 200 miles ago (had a thread going about the 888 a few weeks ago)......good so far....the Metz is a higher psi tire than the Dunlop.....42 vs 50....I am running the 888 at 48-50 psi.....with no weights or beads.....

I have found no satisfactory answer about the cupping.....I am probably done with Dunlops......
Wait......what?

50 PSI?? Not quite ready to call BS on this but all of my teaching/learning was that you run the air pressure based on the vehicle requirements which is always posted on the vehicle, either on the inside of the door frame (cage) or the frame itself (downtube on M/C). I just replaced a set of ME 888's with the American Elite's and I can tell you the difference is night and day. The AE's are so for, after about 3,000 miles, a far superior tire. However, in full disclosure, I did run the ME 888's at 40 and 42 PSI, per the HD specifications.

Edit: But I'm always learning!

Last edited by danzio; 07-01-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:32 PM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

On my 14 and 16 I am on my 3rd set plus 2 sets of stockers. I had to get rid of the stockers on my 14 at 6k due to cupping of the rear. Then switched to AE's they worked out great. Sold that bike and got the 16 rgs and from the first week switched to the AE's because I didn't want the same ordeal as first bike. About 4k into the AE's the rear cupped on that set. Now i am on the 3rd and all is ok. I always check my pressure almost every time i take the bike out. They were not once ridden with improper air, but yes they are a good tire.

I also like the ME 888's i had on a few bikes never once had a issue with them.

There are pleanty of good tires out there just keep them at correct pressure to minimize any failures.

Sorry for the botched sentences i am driving and trying to use Siri (she sucks).

Old 07-01-2017, 07:54 PM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
Wait......what?

50 PSI?? Not quite ready to call BS on this but all of my teaching/learning was that you run the air pressure based on the vehicle requirements which is always posted on the vehicle, either on the inside of the door frame (cage) or the frame itself (downtube on M/C). I just replaced a set of ME 888's with the American Elite's and I can tell you the difference is night and day. The AE's are so for, after about 3,000 miles, a far superior tire. However, in full disclosure, I did run the ME 888's at 40 and 42 PSI, per the HD specifications.

Using the pressure Harley recommends is ok for a 42 psi tire such as factory tires, or OEM replacements......

The triple 8's are not 42 psi tires, they are 50 psi......if you run the triple 8 at 42, you are running under inflated, and if you're loaded up, probably over weight (the load the tire is rated to carry is based on the max cold psi on the sidewall).....

I ran the Dunlops at the recommended pressure in the book......

Old 07-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 227 Likes on 142 Posts

I believe they are 2 different tires. My stock rear Dunlop had pretty bad cupping and was wore out with no tread left in the centre around 5000 miles. My air pressures are check regularly and increase for loaded touring. I replaced the rear with an Elite and got over 3 almost 4 times the mileage with minimal cupping towards the end of it's life. My stock front tire wore very well and was replaced with another Elite when I ahd to change the rear tire again this spring. I like the Elites simply because in my case I did get a considerable increase in mileage over the stock rear.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:28 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by B Bop
I’m doing a little research or best replacement tires for touring. Have read a few really good comments on Dunlop American Elite tires recently.

Before purchasing like to hear your comments.

Appreciate your insight.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Great spirits have always encountered violent oppositions from mediocre minds.
As soon as I wear out those POS stock tires I put on AE, love them. On my 2nd set on my '14 limited

Quick Reply: Anyone using Dunlop American Elite tires?