Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel injection problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:03 AM
MrCay
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel injection problem?

I just bought my first bike with EFI, its a 98 Electra. First I had to do was to replace the both fuel lines between the the tank and the EFI (leaking) Now when I started it up it will not run on the front cylinder, totally dead. Can this be related to the fuelinjection? I dismounted the tank and found some valves behind the fuel lines in the tank, a ball with a spring. one of them was leaking badley. Im from Sweden and those small valves cost 80$ each 2-3 weeks delivery. Can this be the reason? I changed the front sparkplug but of cource it was not that easy. Please help a Swedish biker

Old 06-29-2017, 11:14 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

I would check wires to injector first, as this has been mentioned as a problem on here. At same time maybe swap injector's. Would also make sure plug is fireing before spending any money.

The following users liked this post:
MrCay (06-30-2017)
Old 06-29-2017, 11:59 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

the magnetti-marelli EFI used by Harley was not very good.

for about $600 you can convert to carb and have a better running bike with better fuel economy and lower emissions

to sum it up you require a petcock, carb ( the keihin CV carb* is easy to find in the US cheap) intake and a module such as the daytona twin-tec.

there is also an area of the forums for evos:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/evo-classic-models-84/

Lots of smart riders there can advise you.

Mike

*also popular are the S&S and Mikuni- these usually cost much more- and where I live the CV carb works better - it self adjusts for changes in elevation- the others do not

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-29-2017 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:57 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by MrCay
I just bought my first bike with EFI, its a 98 Electra. First I had to do was to replace the both fuel lines between the the tank and the EFI (leaking) Now when I started it up it will not run on the front cylinder, totally dead. Can this be related to the fuelinjection? I dismounted the tank and found some valves behind the fuel lines in the tank, a ball with a spring. one of them was leaking badley. Im from Sweden and those small valves cost 80$ each 2-3 weeks delivery. Can this be the reason? I changed the front sparkplug but of cource it was not that easy. Please help a Swedish biker
Hi from the UK and welcome to HDF. As your bike is an Evo I suggest you also visit the Evo section. MM EFI pops up regularly and you should find more help there.