Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MKGUITAR on IEM's

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 12:59 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts
Default MKGUITAR on IEM's

Or anyone else that knows their stuff when it comes to music as well as Mike does....(!)

So my choice on listening devices while riding are IEM's. I've been using Westone W30's for the last couple of years, and they've just about crapped out on me. Lot's of riding, exercise, sweat, etc.

Not sure I want to replace them, or go with Shure SE535's. For those of you that use and like the SE535, tell me about them. What do you like, what do you not like, and why? I really like the sound quality of Westone, but I have some questions on how hearty they are as compared to others, like Shure. I've heard good things about Shure, but haven't experienced them firsthand.

Talk to me, you audiophiles!

Old 06-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,660 Likes on 767 Posts

If robustness in IEM's is what you're searching for I would go that route first. After that you can always change your EQ audio curves to suit your listening preference.

Old 06-28-2017, 04:52 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,929 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I just bought the entry level Westone UM Pro 10's to try since I'm not happy with in helmet speakers I've tried.
I chose the Westone over a price comparable Shure after viewing a Youtube video showing that they have a lower profile and more flexible over the ear wire.
Only rode one day with these so just getting them fitted to my ears.
For reference:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/WESTONE/...4GC-adType^PLA

Old 06-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Bought these in May for $87. Very clear sound. Maybe not as much bass as the Westone's. Everyone's ear is subjective.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ETYMOTIC-RES...item2cb4f22b1b
But I will agree, IEM's are the way to go...... Now. If you have the money, do you want SPlugs?

Old 06-28-2017, 05:23 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldMike
I just bought the entry level Westone UM Pro 10's to try since I'm not happy with in helmet speakers I've tried.
I chose the Westone over a price comparable Shure after viewing a Youtube video showing that they have a lower profile and more flexible over the ear wire.
Only rode one day with these so just getting them fitted to my ears.
For reference:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/WESTONE/...4GC-adType^PLA
I do like Westone product, but I am interested in more noise isolation than the UM series provides. I also want 3 drivers, and possibly even 4.

Thanks, though, OldMike. Appreciate the input.

Old 06-28-2017, 05:28 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I use the 535's both at the stage and on my bike....for at least 7 years...maybe longer
I have I think 3 sets- when using in concert we rotate them out so they can dry...i use a solder sucker as well to pull out moisture and ear wax

i prefer the "generic" earpieces rather than custom molds, easier to get in and out and for me seal better when moving jaw like chewing gum.

the latest version has removable cable- swap the braided cable for the black one with the ipod control buttons- this softer cable doesn;t transmit as much wind/mechanical noise.
dressing the wiring is important whether bare, 1/2 or full helmet

sound is 1/2 the equation, the other is keeping road and wind noise out- these work great for me.

i do have other ears from westone, futuresonics and other makers- the 535's work best for me.

as the 535's are sold for professional use and for consumers, deals can come up once in a while- I saw them for about $100 off a while ago...maybe at dealnews.com (?)
toursupply.com is where I get mine

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-28-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 05:41 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I use the 535's both at the stage and on my bike....for at least 7 years...maybe longer
I have I think 3 sets- when using in concert we rotate them out so they can dry...i use a solder sucker as well to pull out moisture and ear wax

i prefer the "generic" earpieces rather than custom molds, easier to get in and out and for me seal better when moving jaw like chewing gum.

the latest version has removable cable- swap the braided cable for the black one with the ipod control buttons- this softer cable doesn;t transmit as much wind/mechanical noise.
dressing the wiring is important whether bare, 1/2 or full helmet

sound is 1/2 the equation, the other is keeping road and wind noise out- these work great for me.

i do have other ears from westone, futuresonics and other makers- the 535's work best for me.

as the 535's are sold for professional use and for consumers, deals can come up once in a while- I saw them for about $100 off a while ago...maybe at dealnews.com (?)
toursupply.com is where I get mine

mike
Ah ha! There you are, Mike! Thanks. I was hoping you'd chime in eventually. And I suspected that you would have had experience with both.

I agree with you in that noise isolation is critical, and the Westone W series had that in spades. As I mentioned in my PM, just not too sure about overall quality.

Do two sets of cables come with the purchase, and what are you referring to when you mention "dressing the wire"?

I will poke around and see if I can save some money. Thanks for the leads.

Last edited by gipper; 06-28-2017 at 05:46 PM.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:30 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

dressing the wire, running up over the ear, behind the earflap, down into your clothing.

like 2 soup cans and a string...wind hitting the wire will transfer mechanical noise

mine come with heavy braided wire- the black ipod control cable was optional.

best price I saw on 535 was $349 today

mike

Old 06-28-2017, 06:35 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
dressing the wire, running up over the ear, behind the earflap, down into your clothing.

like 2 soup cans and a string...wind hitting the wire will transfer mechanical noise

mine come with heavy braided wire- the black ipod control cable was optional.

best price I saw on 535 was $349 today

mike
Gotcha. Thank you.

On the way, I'll have them on Friday and will let you know what I think after a side by side comp. Didn't get quite that good a deal, but found a break.

BTW - looked at the specs on both a moment ago, and the noise isolation was much better on the Shure than it was on the Westone. Westone is 25db, and Shure is 37db. Pretty big difference in that alone.

Thanks, Mike.

Old 07-02-2017, 07:49 PM
gipper
Road Master

Mike: The SE535's completely blow away the Westone's that I've been using. Really like them!

Thanks for the input.