Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2017, 05:24 PM
TLM
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control not working

i have a 1997 ultra classic that the cruise control is not working on. The cruise light would come on green at first but it would not engage. Now the light does not come on at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
TLM

Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,808 Likes on 2,544 Posts

I remember some cars cruise would fail if the brake light is blown or a brake switch failure. Just sayin'.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:20 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by TLM
i have a 1997 ultra classic that the cruise control is not working on. The cruise light would come on green at first but it would not engage. Now the light does not come on at all.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
TLM
Have you checked for codes?
The CC light doesn't come on at all or just won't go green? If not at all start with fuses.
If it just wont engage then some of the things it could be are, brakes not releasing, brake lights remaining on, bad roll off switch, speed sensor, no signal from tach, bad switches/controls, wiring problems, loose or corroded connectors among others.
The FSM has a complete troubleshooting guide or I'm sure you could find it on YouTube

Old 06-26-2017, 07:39 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 643 Likes on 497 Posts

Try disconnecting the leads from the idle cable at neck if so equipped. If the problem goes away, it bees an issue of proper adjustment.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:50 PM
pioneer11
Tourer
Received 674 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
I remember some cars cruise would fail if the brake light is blown or a brake switch failure. Just sayin'.
I had an 87 T-Bird that the cruise control would engage but not disengage when touching the brake with a brake light out!

Old 06-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 114 Posts

The most common cause of Cruise control failure to engage is the brake lights being lit all the time. If the brake light circuit is activated the cruise control will not engage.
'
Check whether your brake lights are working or not. Most common cause is the rear switch going bad. Simply remove one of the wires going to it and see what happens.
'
The second most common cause is the roll off switch in the throttle return cable. Simply remove one of the wires going to it and try setting the cruise control.

The following users liked this post:
Spy11 (01-22-2018)
Old 06-26-2017, 07:53 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 926 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyg500
The most common cause of Cruise control failure to engage is the brake lights being lit all the time. If the brake light circuit is activated the cruise control will not engage.
'
Check whether your brake lights are working or not. Most common cause is the rear switch going bad. Simply remove one of the wires going to it and see what happens.
'
The second most common cause is the roll off switch in the throttle return cable. Simply remove one of the wires going to it and try setting the cruise control.
To add, if you had the right hand controls apart and didn't shim the brake lever, you could have broke the tip off the brake switch in the control housing causing the brake light to stay on.

Old 06-26-2017, 07:57 PM
Rustyg500
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks Buelligan. Forgot about that very sensitive switch. It is a choke point also.

Old 06-27-2017, 09:46 AM
tonylyle59
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a similar issue on my 2010 Ultra Limited. Sent in to the shop and they found corrosion in the brake wiring. Cleaned it and the cruise works great.

Old 01-22-2018, 09:30 AM
freeman73
Tourer
Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Wasn't sure if I should dig up an old thread or start a new one. I replaced the handlebars and broke the stop lamp switch. It looks like a pain to replace the switch. It still functions manually pushing it. Anyone had any luck just putting a tiny screw or something similar? I'm going to try and re-align it as I don't see much difference between what's on the bike and what I see in pictures, but I'm sure it won't be that simple.

Quick Reply: cruise control not working