Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wally world oil temp gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:23 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts
Default wally world oil temp gauge

Who sells these? I am going to be putting on chrome fork lowers soon and want to change the air temp gauge out to a oil timp...plus I have to order my hog tunes...While the fairing is off I want to change everything I've been wanting to at one time...may even add cruise while I am in there.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:36 AM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: wally world oil temp gauge

The Wallys and the Hogtunes were the two best mods on my scoot. Oil gauge is 100% accurate and useful!!!

You'll be surprised how long it takes for the oil to get up to operating temp.

And on those hot 90F+ days, mine gets up to 275F. Normally ~225F.

Here is where I got mine: http://www.wallyscycleworld.com/virt...amp;PVSID=3013

While you are under the fairing, tighten up your trip odometer button (as seen above) from the inside - bound to loosen up and fall in someday!!!

Oh yeah, get some ear plugs too - Hogtunes will numb your hearing - even at 80 mph

Old 06-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Toyman
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a mod. I'm wanting to do to mine also but I see the gauge face & bezel from Wally is not exactly like the original.
Does a person have to get this from HD to match it up?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:37 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Tripmeter: In the course of replacing my OEM inner fairing with a painted one, the tripmeter was removed. It has a threaded portion that passes through the inner fairing and is held on with the rubber boot that is itself threaded. I don't see any advantage to tightening it from the inside of the fairing. Simply tighten it from the outside; the portion on the inside of the fairing is rectangular and will not spin, so tighten away from the outside.

Oil temp gauge location option: The oil temp gauge can go where the air temp used to be, but I relocated the voltmeter to the air temp location and put the oil temp gauge where the voltmeter was orginally. With that configuration I can read oil pressure and oil temp easily. Relocating the voltmeter only required splicing in about a 10" piece of 18 gauge wire to account for the distance from the original location to the new location since the voltmeter uses only two wires for the gauge and the only lengthened wire needs to be the orange wire that goes to the gauge. The gauge's groundwire can be spliced from the old air temp gauge, and the bulb from the air temp gauge and its wiring/socket can be used in the relocated voltmeter gauge. The HD oil temp gauge does not use the plug on sockets that the other 2" gauges use. Relocating the voltmeter gauge probably added 15 min. max to the oil temp gauge installation.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:12 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

I went with the HD oil temp gauge. The plug connectorfor the sending unit is much more secure than the one on the Mcewenharness. Gauge works flawlessly.

Old 06-08-2007, 01:21 PM
bucs012
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Spartan

I went with the HD oil temp gauge. The plug connectorfor the sending unit is much more secure than the one on the Mcewenharness. Gauge works flawlessly.
What did that cost you? I think the one in the catalog was $160 or so?

Old 06-08-2007, 09:02 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The HD oil temp gauge is not an exact match to the stock guages on my 07 Ultra either. The gauge needle sets very close to the dial face. I can clearly see on the other stock gauges the needle is set out from the face. All the stock gauges have a resting pin on the face for the needle. The HD oil temp gauge does not have the resting pin. Also the stock gauges have slotted screws on the face of the dial, the oil temp gauge only has rivets.

I am getting ready to replace the first HD oil temp gauge with another one. The first one, I have to "peck" on with my finger, pretty hard, to get it to the needle to move when I start up. It is like it is sticking. After that it is fine until I turn it off for awhile. I got the gauge from Zanotti's and I must say their customer service is outstanding. I send them an email about the gauge and in four days I had a replacement delivered to my door. John sent an email and asked me to just return the first one when I got them exchanged. I plan to do that this weekend. I doubt my local dealer would have done that without me bringing in the first one for an exchange. I hope this replacement doesn't have the same sticking problem as the first. It looks identical.

Does anyone know if the Wally oil temp gauge will work with the HD temp sensor? If this HD gauge doesn't work, I will probably go with the Wally gauge. I have seen a lot of good reports on them on the forum. I really bought the HD gauge since I thought it would be an identical match to my stock gauges.

Jim

'07 Ultra

Old 06-08-2007, 09:59 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

Since I have a FLHTI, I was able to use the black face gauge. I picked it up last year at the local HD stealer for 20% off MSRP, so in the end, it ran about the same asthe Mcewen gauge with shipping. It'sexactly how jimmyclaypool described itbut it's pretty damn close to looking like the other gauges. I have the chrome bezel rings on all the gauges, so you really can't tell the difference. I picked up a brass fitting from Home Depot and installed the sensor in the extra drain pan hole. Ran the wiring along the frame/clutch cableand into the faring. Used spade connector for the power and ground and plugged them into the air temp plug connector, so no wire splicing. Looks like a factory install. The gauge has never given me any problems, is accurate and has the same color lighting as the others.

The Wally's temp sensor will not work with the HD harness. The HD harness has a maleplug connector that goesinto a female connector which is part of the sending unit andseals so nothing can get in there. The Wallys has a wire with clip connector that slides onto a post on the sending unit.

Here's the Mcewen Gauge:

HD Gauge

Brass fitting: 3/8 male X 1/4 female

Old 06-08-2007, 10:17 PM
Spartan
Road Captain

Here are some pics of the gauge & sending unit:

Old 06-08-2007, 10:22 PM
jimclaypool
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spartan, ever have any problems with your HD gauge sticking and not moving when your start up? I did the identical installation, except I bought the brass bushing from NAPA for the oil pan. It really is an easy install.

Quick Reply: wally world oil temp gauge