Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Brake Fluid Every 2 Years?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 05:09 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
I have been driving for almost 50 years and never once changed my brake fluid and never had a failure in my vehicles. I also have owned only 1 brand new vehicle in my life so used with miles is what its been for me.
Not saying its right, but changing this often is a little bit much.
You know the old saying,"if someone told you to jump off a bridge would you?"
You really dont know what youre talking about. I bet if you smoked cigareetes and never got cancer or other health issues, you would say it ok to smoke, after all Ive been doing it for 50 years. You exceeded the law of averages for neglect my friend.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:29 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 437 Likes on 292 Posts
Default brake fluid

Originally Posted by Ragtop
THIS is what happens if you don't flush your fluid out for years!

Nothing "anil" about it, it's good practice.

This is the front brake cyl out of my 64 Impala, it had been in storage for 10 years when I got it..

that's some kind of nasty

Old 09-14-2017, 08:36 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

I do not understand what is the BIG DEAL is about maintaining the brake system , If it should be flushed do it ! You spend more money on chrome and other do dads than a dealer or indy charges to maintain one of the most important things on a motorcycle !!!!!! I have ridden over 300,000 miles in my life and yes i flush the brake fluid , if you do not like the dealer find a local indy.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:35 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Older vehicles used to require more frequent service intervals. This frequency enhanced familiarity. Oil, tune ups, brakes, etc. Bleeding/flushing brakes was one of those common things. With time, these intervals of modern vehicles became extended to the point that obviously some folks have decided that they never need done anymore, while others feel that even the simplest of these are beyond their capability.
Ancient man was able to figure out how to connect rock to rabbit to aid in their survival. In time, they even discovered a myriad of ways to come in out of the rain and elements. It would seem reasonable that today's upright walking persons capable of operating a fork, door ****, bottle opener, or motorcycle should be able to flush their brake systems every couple of years or perhaps locate another upright capable individual to flush their brake system for them.
If you are of the type unable to do this, and someone else is showing you this insightful information on some kind of magical doohickey, feel free to identify yourself on the chart below, and seek assistance and set a goal to progress as far to the right as you may be capable of doing. As you advance, feel free to wave at me on the road, but until then, please be considerate and don't ride up behind me at red lights with your old, neglected brake fluid.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:10 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

I just had the brake fluid flush done on my 14 FLHTK. I've been taking it to the dealer to do the 'every two year' flush just so it's documented and they can exercise the abs module. Although I haven't read of any abs problems with the bikes that have the 'linked braking' I wanted this done to maintain my ESP coverage. JMO BTW, it was $16 for 2 bottles of DOT 4 & $120 (one hour) labor.