Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Change Brake Fluid Every 2 Years?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 AM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by heavypic
ORradtech / Others:

Is it necessary to drain the entire system when installing Speed Bleeders? Can you leave the master cylinder cap attached, and then quickly replace stock caliper valves with the Speed Bleeders, and then bleed the system to remove any air that may have entered at the valve? I'm guessing that some air may enter at the valve tap in the caliper doing it this way...but I'm guessing following immediately with a bleed will purge any air that may have entered at the caliper valve tap.

Or is it necessary to drain the MC and brake lines to install the Speed Bleeders? Is lock-tite or some other sealant/thread-lock needed on the threads of the Speed Bleeder during installation?

Advice appreciated.

Regards
No need to empty anything unless you're taking this opportunity to flush the old fluid with new. If you flush and the bike is under warranty, or you're concerned with keeping a record, have a dealer or Indy with a tool capable of cycling the abs do so. Otherwise, a few stops hard enough to activate the abs will do the trick.

Yes, when you swap bleeder screws you must bleed the system.

No, you apply nothing to the Speed Bleeders threads, they come with sealant on them.

Old 07-16-2017, 09:16 PM
L88
Road Captain
Received 299 Likes on 159 Posts

Just did my ABS brakes today. Real easy with a mityvac. First time, took about 2hrs. Thinking I'll do it every 6 months

Old 07-27-2017, 04:18 PM
PaulErik
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey All,

I just read this thread with interest, as I'm going through this with my bike right now. I have a '13 Ultra Limited with a pre-paid service contract. The last time my bike was serviced, about a month ago, the dealer informed me that, upon inspection, my brake fluid had more than 4% water in it and needed to be flushed and replaced. This is the first time they have mentioned this, I'm assuming it is the lawsuit mentioned earlier that triggered their attention to the brake fluid.

Of course, this is not covered under the pre-paid maintenance plan, despite the fact that is falls under routine maintenance. Disappointing.

Today, my bike is in for service again. The dealer called me with a few issues, among them that my brake fluid has more than 4% water in it and should be flushed and replaced. This about a month and 5000 miles since they last replaced it. They explained that if the bike is kept in a humid place, or ridden in the rain a lot, this can happen. My bike has been kept in the same garage since 2013, and I rode briefly in rain last week.

Strange, no?

-Paul

Old 07-27-2017, 04:53 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulErik
Hey All,

I just read this thread with interest, as I'm going through this with my bike right now. I have a '13 Ultra Limited with a pre-paid service contract. The last time my bike was serviced, about a month ago, the dealer informed me that, upon inspection, my brake fluid had more than 4% water in it and needed to be flushed and replaced. This is the first time they have mentioned this, I'm assuming it is the lawsuit mentioned earlier that triggered their attention to the brake fluid.

Of course, this is not covered under the pre-paid maintenance plan, despite the fact that is falls under routine maintenance. Disappointing.

Today, my bike is in for service again. The dealer called me with a few issues, among them that my brake fluid has more than 4% water in it and should be flushed and replaced. This about a month and 5000 miles since they last replaced it. They explained that if the bike is kept in a humid place, or ridden in the rain a lot, this can happen. My bike has been kept in the same garage since 2013, and I rode briefly in rain last week.

Strange, no?

-Paul
Read the terms of your service contract. It should specify whether or not your scheduled service items are covered.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:18 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Hey All,

Strange, no?

-Paul
4% is a decent amount, were you able to ask the service mechanic if he flushed out his PPM meter with fresh brake fluid before calculating your fluid? You never know until you ask!

Had a mechanic once told me he uses same old bottle of hydraulic brake fluid just for the same reason purifying or prepping his PPM meter. I said that's strange as non-sealed or old brake fluid is naturally hydroscopic (it absorbs water)....hmmm! Afterwards, caught him testing his prepping fluid, he eventually threw it out! Wonder why?

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

Last edited by B Bop; 07-29-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:24 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 217 Likes on 158 Posts

I would ask how are they keeping their fluid stored? I would ask are they putting good fluid in it to start with?

Here's the other interesting thing same fluid is in the hydraulic clutch.

I just did my brakes and clutch the fluid out of the clutch was a little bit gunky.

The following users liked this post:
L88 (07-27-2017)
Old 07-27-2017, 05:35 PM
L88
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I would ask how are they keeping their fluid stored? I would ask are they putting good fluid in it to start with?

Here's the other interesting thing same fluid is in the hydraulic clutch.

I just did my brakes and clutch the fluid out of the clutch was a little bit gunky.
Good post.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:49 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

It is not a good analogy to compare cars to MC's service intervals on brakes.

The mc reservoir is tiny in comparison and subjected to much more heat.

It is easy to do yourself and inexpensive. Not a good risk to ignore.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (09-12-2017)
Old 07-28-2017, 10:19 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,265 Likes on 4,438 Posts

The dealer called me with a few issues, among them that my brake fluid has more than 4% water in it and should be flushed and replaced. This about a month and 5000 miles since they last replaced it. They explained that if the bike is kept in a humid place, or ridden in the rain a lot, this can happen. My bike has been kept in the same garage since 2013, and I rode briefly in rain last week.

Strange, no?

-Paul

Strange, yes!

Doesn't take long.... Dealers will always find a way to exploit a maintenance issue/item...

Did they test front & rear? Both were 4% in that short of a period...? I wonder if they have yet to find a system that didn't have 4% water...

I'd be wiling to bet their tester is faulty or was incorrectly used... unless they failed to seal the master cylinder cap(s) (bad cap seal, warped cap, corroded edges, over torqued, etc) when they changed the fluid last time, or used bad/old fluid for the change (as someone suggested), I can't believe it would absorb that much moisture in that short of time, even ridden in the rain...!!

I'd go to Amazon.com, buy a tester (they are like $14), test it with a brand new, never used, tester and compare to their findings... I'd be shocked if their findings are correct... I'd then confront them with their BS readings...

If I am wrong, and the new tester shows over 4%... then you just spent $14 for a credibility test and your dealer passed....but I would then look for a reason the master cylinder cap(s) aren't sealing properly..... and if they do the work, I'd ask for a test of the new fluid they use...

Good luck..

Last edited by hattitude; 07-28-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 03:22 PM
L88
Road Captain

after I flushed my ABS brakes it's like my rear brakes are "born again". feels real good again at parking lot speed.

Quick Reply: Change Brake Fluid Every 2 Years?