Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

auto tune a pcv?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:15 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Default auto tune a pcv?

I posted in the fuel /ecm room but wanted a few opinions. i have a pcv on my 2013 with a big sucker ac, power duals and v&h slips ons. This bike was dyno tuned and has always ran very good going down the road at any speed. but it has never idled where I like it. It idles ok but gets hot quick, pops and goes into eitms pretty quick and always has. But i hardly idled until recently as traffic has gotten very bad around work. Now, i want to do something about it,lol.
I did not get the connector cord for the usb and was wondering if i purchased the cord, what else do i need to be able to view the map and even make a small adjustment at closed throttle...
I am pretty handy with both the mechanical, electrical parts and have more than a basic understanding of computers and programs. Input welcomed, insults notsomuch...

Old 06-22-2017, 02:19 AM
tjhog
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Give Dyno Jet a call ... I'll bet they'd know .....

Toll Free: 800-992-4993 (USA only)

The following users liked this post:
94ruck (06-22-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 03:27 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

You can put it on the bike and go into "quick tune" and add fuel to the lower portion of the tume. It takes 5 mins.

Old 06-22-2017, 05:44 AM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

How do I go into and make the adjustment? I have a lap top PC and an I phone. i also have an older android. I dont have the cord. do I need to purchase a cord from dyno tune or? what program do I need to do this.
I have watched the videos on how to but not enough info on where to get the needed equipment and program.
I dont have o2 sensors so when i get to that point, it seems auto tune is not an option

Old 06-22-2017, 07:45 AM
Kburgad
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Wink

The usb cord is a normal cord you can get from the store. I believe its a mini usb take a picture of the port in the pcv and go match it up usually they have pictures of the ports either on a sign or on the boxes.

You can download the needed software from dynojet website. You will need to use a pc to build the tune. Mobile app won't pull it up cell by cell. Once its built you can save it to a phone and transfer it to the bike via mobile app if laptop is unavailable. It will walk you through how to update the software on the pcv so they can talk. I strongly suggest saving the map that is in the bike then any changes you make save to a new file just incase you mess up. Once you get in there idle is pretty easy to change.
An autotune pro uses wideband o2 sensors so if no ports no dice. If u get an aftermarket head pipe it will usually have them. The autotune runs its own module so you can add it to a bike not originally equipped with o2 sensors. But if you start changing head pipes your Dyno tune will become wrong. I've heard of guys removing head pipe and having 02 sensor bungs installed. Rec visiting muffler shop of you want to do that.
I've got a autotune laying around I'm not using anymore. New bike came with different tuner. I'd sell it to u if you want to go that route.

Last edited by Kburgad; 06-22-2017 at 07:47 AM.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:17 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 94ruck
How do I go into and make the adjustment? I have a lap top PC and an I phone. i also have an older android. I dont have the cord. do I need to purchase a cord from dyno tune or? what program do I need to do this.
I have watched the videos on how to but not enough info on where to get the needed equipment and program.
I dont have o2 sensors so when i get to that point, it seems auto tune is not an option
Sorry man, I was partially a sleep. I have the powervision and it's easy to do that. I just read it againd and see you have the PCV. I'm sure someone can help you with that.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:57 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

If you bought the PCV from Fuel Moto they will happily make the changes to your current tune via email. If you didn't you should have, as they give lifetime support for their products.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:15 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 150 Likes on 108 Posts

I use the PCV on my '13 Limited and my sons '03 EG. I also use Autotune on both.

For the '03 I drilled the head pipes and welded in 18mm bungs for the Bosch Closed Loop O2 sensors

For the '13 I purchased V&H Power Duals for I believe '09 application which had 18mm bungs at head pipes.

As for Tuning, as stated above, go to Dynojet Website and download the tuning software. Go to Radio Shack and buy the USB cord with the correct end to plug into the PCV

Plug in to your bike with the sotfware running, turn on power and "Get Program" to load the program from your bike onto your laptop. Save it as a baseline for all changes to come.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:21 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

I am by no means an expert but... I was told, after loading the prescribed Power Commander Program for your build, to always keep 0 and 5% throttle values at the original setpoint. I have found Autotune will change those and at least one time resulted in fouled plugs for in town stop and go traffic situations.

As for the rest, if you understand basic carburetors and how to change mid and high jets and adjust the idle circuit, you can study a map and very quickly learn how to make the adjustment you used to make by taking the bowl off and getting gas all over you.

Start paying attention to what percentage your throttle hand is in and at what RPM for the areas you want to change. Go to the map and play with the numbers, but always have a backup baseline.

Old 06-22-2017, 03:25 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

While you are at the Dynojet website, download the available programs for your PCV. Then look through each to find the 1 that best describes your build. Priority is on do you have a stock map or does your HD have the Harley Stage 1 download. Next level is what kind of air cleaner and head pipes and mufflers do your have. (Increased Air Flow) Next level of importance is do you have performance cams, heads, high comp pistons etc.... Find the closest to your bike and that is your starting point.

Quick Reply: auto tune a pcv?