Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 road King is making a klunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:12 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

Please post picture of you with your bike, then we can diagnose the problem, lol

Welcome to the forum! Life's a beach!

Old 06-20-2017, 11:21 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,233 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Ya know, here again, it's just about impossible for any of us out here on the World Wide Web to give any really usable advice...we can't hear or feel the issue. And, because it's a Harley, there may NOT be any issue!!! Every single Harley I've owned clunks into gear. Nature of the beast.

That said, OP, the best advice I can give you is go to somebody you trust who's experienced with Harley Davidsons...who's been around and ridden them for many years...and ask them to take a ride on yours. If there really is a problem, they'll be able to discern what the problem is more or less. And if it's just a Harley being a Harley, they'll be able to tell you about that too.

And, hey, what the heck, doesn't hurt to get a second or third opinion...and/or the opinion of an independent Harley mechanic, as well. But your thread is gonna generate probably pages of guesses, some wild, some educated, but NONE for certain!

Old 06-21-2017, 12:45 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,327 Likes on 1,867 Posts

I've found (through the years) that the best two tools you can have for locating noises is a short piece of hose (think stethoscope) and a rubber mallet.

If it's, a noise you hear when the engine is running, hold one end of the hose to your ear and the other end in your hand as you move it around your engine.

Using the rubber mallet, do a gentle "tap test" on every suspect item on your bike.

I think three of the most unusual noises that I've located with the rubber mallet was a loose front brake rotor, a front wheel "hubcap" on a Heritage Softail, and a loose or broken muffler baffle inside the muffler of a Fat Boy.

The Fat Boy's owner was sure that he had a serious engine problem and was he thrilled when I found his problem.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:04 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by groupw
........ ya mean, when shifting ? ......They all 'klunk' when shifting

....... don't lug it
The front caliper (I think) also 'clunks' when you stop in certain orientations and decel amounts... you will get used to Harleys after a while (if this is your first one of this model) and "ride it" is the best advice you can get. Learn to be very specific about what you think is going on by listening carefully. Polish the bike by hand and you will often find the loose parts if there are any. If it doesn't handle properly then definitely get it check out... otherwise, ride it for reasonable distances near your home town until you become more confident in its quirks.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:32 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts

First of all...welcome to the forum (even though you have been lurking already).

Second....try to meet up with some local Harley owners at a local dealership function and talk about their bikes and then bring up what is bugging you about yours. HD owners are good people regardless of what you might think about how they dress or look.

Third...introduce yourself to the Queens of the Road Ladies group here.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-q...kers-only-139/

Old 06-22-2017, 10:34 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Veekness
Ya know, here again, it's just about impossible for any of us out here on the World Wide Web to give any really usable advice...we can't hear or feel the issue. And, because it's a Harley, there may NOT be any issue!!! Every single Harley I've owned clunks into gear. Nature of the beast.

That said, OP, the best advice I can give you is go to somebody you trust who's experienced with Harley Davidsons...who's been around and ridden them for many years...and ask them to take a ride on yours. If there really is a problem, they'll be able to discern what the problem is more or less. And if it's just a Harley being a Harley, they'll be able to tell you about that too.

And, hey, what the heck, doesn't hurt to get a second or third opinion...and/or the opinion of an independent Harley mechanic, as well. But your thread is gonna generate probably pages of guesses, some wild, some educated, but NONE for certain!
I know guys who hear clunks, pinging, rattles etc. I wear earplugs, a fullface and I crank the **** out of the radio. I hear nothing. Bike runs great.

The following users liked this post:
Wcwhipp (08-13-2024)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:21 PM
SgtThump
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jammerx
I know guys who hear clunks, pinging, rattles etc. I wear earplugs, a fullface and I crank the **** out of the radio. I hear nothing. Bike runs great.
My Grandpa would hear a noise in his cars, then look over to me and say "here is how you fix that" as he cranked up the radio.

N1265 (07-31-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 06:48 PM
jackballin
Intermediate
Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I had the same issue on my 23 SGS after 1K service, I rode with for a while until thinking it may stop, took it back to the dealer and they said the belt was too tight, I rode out of there without the noise.

VikingMikko (08-07-2023)