Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add A Fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005 | 03:00 PM
Cohiba_Joe
|
Road Captain
Default Add A Fairing?

Currently I have an '05 RK Classic and I love it. But there's a part of me that would love to have any version of the EG. Now, just buying the RK back in July, getting a new bike is not in the equation. There are a couple companies I have found that make the add-on fairing for the Road Kings, with and without radios. They also have a place to add gauges if so desired. They also attached to the quick release mounts that the stock windshield uses so the fairing is easily removed.

Here in lies the question: What are your opinions in regards to adding a fairing to a "non-fairing" bike?

Just curious,
Brian

Old 10-11-2005 | 03:31 PM
blowe
Tourer
Default RE: Add A Fairing?

A friend here at work has a Road King with a Dragonfly fairing.It looks good and seems to be really high quality.

He says it sure makes those cold mornings and winter rides more comfortable.

Here's a picture of the fairing on the bike.It was taken at Deals Gap last weekend.
FLHR with Dragonfly

Old 10-11-2005 | 05:19 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

As far as I'm concerned it is a good idea if you want a radio, and a little more protection. I would rather add a fairing than try to do an add-on radio. Most of those look really stupid.

We are seriously considering a quick detach fairing for my wife's Heritage. She wants the radio and protection, but does not want to give up the feel of the Heritage by going to an EG Classic or Street Glide. She likes sitting down in the bike rather than on it.

Regards,

Bill

Old 10-11-2005 | 06:05 PM
Harley Rulz
Banned

I say go for it.The Dragon fly add on looks good IMHO.

Old 10-11-2005 | 09:48 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

that pic from deel gap was the first time i ever saw one. it looks great, and the added protection is def. worth it. how much are one of those...well i guess a base one with out the radio must be much less than one loaded up with gauges and a radio, but very cool

Old 10-11-2005 | 10:25 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser

I had a good look at the Quadzilla Fairings by Hoppe Industries while at the Myrtle Beach fall rally. I thought they looked great. IMO its the way to go for a Road King, Fat Boy or Heritage if you want to add a radio. Four 5" speakers with satellite radio and quick detach with only one cable connection...whats not to like?
http://www.hoppeindustries.com/spstrhb.html

Old 10-11-2005 | 10:28 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

Great question - First I have seen the Dragonfly Fairing - looks great - Thanks for sharing Oliver -

Old 10-11-2005 | 10:47 PM
Cohiba_Joe
|
Road Captain

Hey BigTin...

The Quadzilla was the one I was looking at. I already received a quote from a vendor and the Hoppes turned out to be the least expensive when figuring everything up (I had done all the figuring and PMd the results to another member but didn't save a copy - DOH). One of the main reason for getting one is for the radio and those radios must kick some butt. My vendor sells it without the windshield and sells the original HD windshield instead. I can get it minus the shield and then buy a shield from one of the vendors that sells them for about $40. One of the windshield manufacturers I looked at was Fast Aire. There was another but I don't recall the name. Need to do some searching.

Hey Oliver, what size shield is your buddy running on his? That pic looks great.

Think I'll go for it. Just another mod where I can have a different looking bike for different occasions.

Thanks much,
Brian

Old 10-11-2005 | 10:47 PM
blowe
Tourer

The base model for a Road King is $899.Single color paint is $400.It comes with a satin black finish on the inner fairing but can be painted for another $75.Looks like this thing gets expensive in a hurry.

Dragonfly & Accessories

Old 10-11-2005 | 10:52 PM
BigTinVA
Cruiser

Brian,
They were selling a bunch of them at Myrtle. Some vendors had them priced very reasonably and were installing them on the spot. I was trying to talk my girl into getting one for her King. I think it's a great way to go, you can have your ride any way you want it. And yes, that sound system kicks ***.

Tim

Quick Reply: Add A Fairing?