Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is It The Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 12:34 PM
Lotaluck
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is It The Clutch?

Asking here for some possible suggestions as to what may be causing my bike to act as if the clutch lever is pulled in. I have a 2012 street glide with 28,000 miles, all stock except pro pipe, fuelmoto intake, and power vision V.
The bike runs perfect with the exception of a weird accurance that happens only when I am hammering it and shifting at high (for harley) Rpms. It has happened four times now while entering the highway from the ramp. 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd is fine but going into 4th I get what seems like a stuck clutch lever. As soon as I release the clutch and accelerate the Rpms rise as if it's in neutral or like the lever is still in. Every time the Rpms were between 4,00 and 4,300 when I shifted. I release the throttle for a second and then all seems well. I have adjusted the clutch and clutch cable to spec and Has not helped.
Any ideas?

Old 06-16-2017, 01:06 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Your clutch is slipping. I have a 2012 Road Glide, and had similar experiences. There are a couple of options IF you do not need to do more extensive clutch work, and the best for a number of us has proven to be a variable pressure clutch plate. There is more than one manufacturer, and it's not the cheapest "fix" on the front end, but it is the best, and it's very reliable. That's the direction that I and plenty of others would point you in.

That being said, I am not diagnosing the root cause, and you may need more than what I've suggested in terms of clutch work. Only you can determine that.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2017, 01:28 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Your stock clutch should be able to handle the power you are making as your bike is pretty much stock. My first guess would be the internal clutch adjustment is not correct.
The lease expensive fix provided you have not already fried your clutch pack would be to install a heavy duty clutch spring on your existing clutch pack Part Number 37951-98 and get the internal adjustment correct.

I'm running one of these with a stock clutch on my sons 06 Road King that makes around 100hp and 100tq with no slipping what so ever

Old 06-16-2017, 03:45 PM
Buelligan666
Stellar HDF Member
Received 928 Likes on 475 Posts

Install a stronger clutch spring. I had the same thing happen after doing stage 1 on my 11EGC. Upgraded the spring, no more slipping.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:51 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

In agreement with above, clutch is not properly adjusted. An improperly adjusted clutch is most noticeable in higher gears.

Old 06-16-2017, 10:56 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
In agreement with above, clutch is not properly adjusted. An improperly adjusted clutch is most noticeable in higher gears.
Agree with this. When I first got my current bike, clutch was good through 4th gear, but any more than gentle throttle above about 2800 rpm in 5th, and it would slip.

Clutch adjustment fixed it for me.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:41 AM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

Since I am here I have a clutch related question. My bike has no issue finding neutral when cold or on a cool temp ride however if the bike gets hot as in if at a event such as laconia where we had occasional stopping. I was not able to put bike in neutral while waiting to move. I am looking for a heads up on what may be going on or what I may need to do. It does have fresh primary oil and engine oil...next oil change will be all three....

Old 06-22-2017, 09:49 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,894 Likes on 11,610 Posts

Originally Posted by leachman
Since I am here I have a clutch related question. My bike has no issue finding neutral when cold or on a cool temp ride however if the bike gets hot as in if at a event such as laconia where we had occasional stopping. I was not able to put bike in neutral while waiting to move. I am looking for a heads up on what may be going on or what I may need to do. It does have fresh primary oil and engine oil...next oil change will be all three....
- Use transmission specific lube...such as Redline or BelRay
- HD Formula+ in the primary
- Proper clutch adjustment
- Make sure the primary is not overfilled..

And still sometimes it's just a PITA. Sometimes mine hits neutral everytime with no effort, sometimes I can't move the shifter when not moving, and sometimes it just goes 1-2-1-2-1-2 no matter how carefully I shift it.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:05 AM
SG-Jay
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

Are you using synthetic fluid? Mine does it when the fluid gets dirty. Once I put in fresh oil it's fine. I'm also looking at the variable pressure plate option.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:33 PM
Fireball Jack
Stellar HDF Member
Received 842 Likes on 579 Posts

Mine did this when I used castrol 4T at 4000 miles changed to amsoil and problem disappeared.

Quick Reply: Is It The Clutch?