Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it my fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 07:54 PM
Scott Adams
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it my fuel pump?

Riding home from work today and stopped at a traffic light. As I sat there the bike was running great one minute and the next it coughed sputtered and stalled. I tried to restart it and it just cranked and coughed. It finally did fire at one point for a few seconds and sounded like it was on one cylinder. I changed the plugs and it fired for a few seconds then died. The fuel pump sounded different to me every time I would turn the key on and it would prime. 2008 ultra classic with 58,000 miles. Cams, breather and PC5.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:00 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

Check the fuel filter shell for a broken tab and also check the regulator inside the tank.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:21 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,954 Likes on 1,438 Posts

And also the fuel lines inside the tank......there is one that comes from the pump to the filter that rubs on a brace.......rubs a hole it in reducing fuel pressure.......fuel filter on a 07 is due to be replaced at 25k miles..........probably the same on a 08

Old 06-11-2017, 08:42 PM
BB59
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

You need to check your fuel pressure. There are several things that could be going on inside the tank. It could be the fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter or even leaking fuel lines inside the tank. You can eliminate all of these by knowing that you have proper fuel pressure during the initial prime and also when the motor is running. Pressure should be between 55 and 60 pounds and it should hold for a bit when you turn the motor off. If your pressure is good you know to look elsewhere for your problem.
Here is the tool I use. It usually stays in my Tour Pack when traveling. Probably cheaper than paying for the dealer to test for you. They are available online from a dozen different sources

http://www.pdi-racing.com/fuel-tool-...s1AxoCWnnw_wcB

Here is a link to a you tube video on how to use it.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:23 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 832 Likes on 658 Posts

So many things, not sure why you are focusing on fuel pump. Though it may be.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:41 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

I bet it is fuel pump related. I've had the fuel filter shell break at the retaining pin tabs twice. I noticed the last new one was more than twice as thick so they recognized the problem. Remove the top cover retaining ring and lift the cover a little. Then shine a flashlight into the tank and turn on the ignition. If you have a leak you will probably be able to see it. Wear safety glasses.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:43 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by cncmike
I bet it is fuel pump related. I've had the fuel filter shell break at the retaining pin tabs twice. I noticed the last new one was more than twice as thick so they recognized the problem. Remove the top cover retaining ring and lift the cover a little. Then shine a flashlight into the tank and turn on the ignition. If you have a leak you will probably be able to see it. Wear safety glasses.
And change the fuel filter.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Zerk
So many things, not sure why you are focusing on fuel pump. Though it may be.
because that's the first thing u should check if good move on.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:03 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Same symptoms I had when the fuel filter canister broke. With the cap off the tank, when turning on the ignition, fuel rushed around in the tank during the prime sequence. No mistaking there was a leak in there but did have to remove fuel filter/fuel pump/ fuel level assembly to see the source. There was a recall on some 2008 machines for the fuel filter canister, my 08 was not on the list but the canister eventually broke anyway. The holes worn in fuel lines are a distinct possibility BUT they usually have a slow onset of poorer and poorer running rather than sudden onset of no running. If you can hear the fuel pump, I would bet on the fuel filter canister.

No one has ever explained why, but sometimes the fuel quick disconnect on the bottom of the tank won't pass fuel. Disconnecting it and reconnecting usually restores flow. That is a quick and FREE thing to try.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:59 PM
Scott Adams
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dealer called me today and advised that it is the fuel pressure regulator. He said that he is trying to get it covered under the recall. That would be great if I get out of this without a bill to pay.

Quick Reply: Is it my fuel pump?