Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:19 AM
pingman68
Road Master
Received 142 Likes on 94 Posts
Default Front motor mount

Was doing some maintenance and was looking at the front motor mount and I think it might be due for a change. Can't say that I've noticed any excessive shaking, but I would tend to think if it wears out slowly over time you wouldn't really notice until you replace it. Bike is almost 10 years old with just under 50,000.

Attached Thumbnails Front motor mount-img_5067.jpg   Front motor mount-img_5065.jpg   Front motor mount-img_5066.jpg  
Old 06-10-2017, 08:31 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

When they are worn out they tend to collapse, so the gap between the top metal disc and the frame is much less than yours, which looks OK. If you decide to replace it then also replace the two rear rubber mounts as well - no point doing one and not the others!

Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 AM
pingman68
Road Master

Originally Posted by grbrown
When they are worn out they tend to collapse, so the gap between the top metal disc and the frame is much less than yours, which looks OK. If you decide to replace it then also replace the two rear rubber mounts as well - no point doing one and not the others!
Thanks, good advice. I was wondering about the rear ones as well. I didn't look at them yet, but I tend to go all in when I do these things.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:41 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

No need to replace anything if it's working ok. No need to do anything. But if you like, replace the rubber mounts. Just make sure you torque everything according to the service manual after they're in.

Old 06-10-2017, 09:59 AM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts

I just replaced mine last week. I was planning to do it anyway, but when I started it up this spring I noticed the fairing shaking a lot revving up from idle ~1500 RPM. When I pulled it out the center sleeve was almost completely seperated. Looking at it I didn't think looked bad, but the vibration gave it away. With those miles I would pick one up just to have it on hand. Probably won't be long til you will be changing it.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:44 AM
pingman68
Road Master

Originally Posted by predatornut
I just replaced mine last week. I was planning to do it anyway, but when I started it up this spring I noticed the fairing shaking a lot revving up from idle ~1500 RPM. When I pulled it out the center sleeve was almost completely seperated. Looking at it I didn't think looked bad, but the vibration gave it away. With those miles I would pick one up just to have it on hand. Probably won't be long til you will be changing it.
That's kinda what I'm leaning towards. It's hard to remember what it felt like when it was new, so how do I know how much vibration is normal. I also replaced the fairing brackets with the Alloy Art strong arms after they broke so, I don't how much vibration is common with those.

I think based on age alone it's probably not a bad idea to swap them out.

Old 06-10-2017, 11:56 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 301 Likes on 245 Posts

I swapped mine and ended up putting the original back in it had less vibration than the new 1. I bought 1 of the 20.00 deals I am now thinking of something more. let us know how yours works out. thanks

Old 06-10-2017, 02:43 PM
deadbroke
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

I swapped the front mount with one from Glide Pro.Bike is much smoother,would definitely recommend .

Old 06-10-2017, 02:51 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by deadbroke
I swapped the front mount with one from Glide Pro.Bike is much smoother,would definitely recommend .
Dang, proud of them things ain't they? Last time I replaced a motor mount (stock OEM) seems it was maybe $45.00??? May be wrong but quite a few years ago.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:28 PM
deadbroke
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Dang, proud of them things ain't they? Last time I replaced a motor mount (stock OEM) seems it was maybe $45.00??? May be wrong but quite a few years ago.
The factory front mount lists for $78.18,Glide Pro mount is $100. Definitely more money,but not a huge increase.

Quick Reply: Front motor mount