Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modular Helmet Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 07:38 AM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Modular Helmet Question

I have been riding with a 1/2 helmet in the summer and a 3/4 the rest of the year. I'm thinking of adding a modular helmet for flexibility, safety and comfort. In checking out modulars, I have not found information on which ones can be ridden comfortably with the chin bar raised. I would like to have that option. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Moose2011FLHX
Tourer
Received 120 Likes on 92 Posts

My Nolan N91 can be ridden with the chin bar raised and locked in the up position. I find the helmet comfortable but you should find one and try it on to see if it fits your head.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:47 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,664 Likes on 1,084 Posts

The flip up section of this: http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Two brands to pay particular attention two, Shark and Roof. Both have chin-bars that rotate around and behind the helmet.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:03 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

On these 2 won't turn the chin bar into an air scoop.

I have the Shark Evoline 3. I always dealt with 2 helmets. 3/4 and my modular HJC branded Harley. I just bought the Shark a few months ago. All I can say is damn. Great helmet. Super comfortable and love that I can go from 3/4 to full with a flip. What it needs to make it perfect. Is a pinlock shield.

These are stock photos. But it's the exact one I have.

Old 06-08-2017, 08:51 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

I went with a Shoei, modular is one thing, proper fit to your head is another. With the Shoei, you can change the cheek pads or inner liner to fine tune the fit. That really dialed it in for me.
I wanted quiet and comfortable. Sunglass drop down was a plus, too.
HJC/HD Modular pressed my forehead too much.
All heads are not the same, some are more round, some more oval.
Choose wisely.

The following users liked this post:
Wmoor004 (06-09-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:14 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Go to (www.revzilla.com) they have a ton of helmets, with videos on most of them.

Old 06-08-2017, 02:57 PM
nj08SEUltra
Tourer
Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks for the help and advice.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:04 PM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 661 Posts

I have a Shoei Neotec and absolutely love it! But head shape is gonna dictate your choices. Find a Cycle Gear or similar motorcycle gear shop that has a good helmet selection. Try on a few and wear them for a while to see if they make your head hurt. And remember, helmets break in over time. If one fits loosely when you try it on, it's too loose. You wanna find one that fits your head shape first. Then find the size that your head slides into easily and has some slight movement inside. Then get one size smaller than that one. It'll be a little tight but it's supposed to be.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:41 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 305 Posts

Why do you want to ride with a modular helmet and keep the chin bar open? That completely defeats the purpose, which is to protect your face, mouth, teeth and jawbone. I mean why ride with the modular at all at that point you're better off with the 1/2 helmet.

And don't say you will put it in the closed position if you think you are about to be in an accident because you may not know you were in an accident until you wake up in ICU. Just hope you didn't land on your face.

Just sayin'.

And by the way. I ride with a modular (Scorpion) and a HD Half helmet so I'm not opposed to either helmet, just wondering the logic of using one in an unintended manner.

The following users liked this post:
shorelasHD (06-09-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 04:48 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by danzio
Why do you want to ride with a modular helmet and keep the chin bar open? That completely defeats the purpose, which is to protect your face, mouth, teeth and jawbone. I mean why ride with the modular at all at that point you're better off with the 1/2 helmet.

And don't say you will put it in the closed position if you think you are about to be in an accident because you may not know you were in an accident until you wake up in ICU. Just hope you didn't land on your face.

Just sayin'.

And by the way. I ride with a modular (Scorpion) and a HD Half helmet so I'm not opposed to either helmet, just wondering the logic of using one in an unintended manner.
I always wore a 3/4. And carried the modular for bad weather. This helmet gives me both. Sometimes ya just don't want the chin bar in your face. It's nice to have the ability to switch it up without needing a tour pack. And it not being an air scoop.

Times I open it up,
Stop and go traffic. Get a little more wind on my face. Just because I can. Lol. If it's hot enough out. I'll have it open. Interstate or higher speed country roads. It's closed.

I ride with it closed 90% of the time.

Quick Reply: Modular Helmet Question