Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ride like you're invisible......

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:47 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ride like you're invisible......

That is what a long time experienced Harley rider (he rode until he was over 90 years old)told me over 30 years ago & it is the best advice that ever existed for newer type riders. Ride like you're invisible, because you are to most cage drivers.

Two nights ago, a 19 year old Suzuki rider was killed almost in sight of my house. He was riding along minding his own business when a woman in a minivan with two little kids in the car turned left in front of him into a parking lot. He t-boned her & died at the scene.

I don't know for sure, but I'm betting this wasthis kidsfirst Summer of riding & this is really sad to me.... :-(

~John

Old 06-07-2007, 08:13 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: ride like you're invisible......

I have that same motto. But boy do Ihate to hear news like this. Prayersfor the riders family.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Jody FLHRCI
Cruiser

Ride Like You Are Invisible and Do everything To Make Yourself Visible To Others.

Especially at night with Reflective. That low, small, &dim tail lamp sometimes isn't noticed by Cages

Not trying to push a product, it is just worth checking out. Check out the Harley Conspicuity Vest 98172-02V

http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/m...bmLocale=en_US

We all have family, just like my 2 1/2 old son to the left on his battery operated chopper. My Little girl will be here in December 2007. Sometimes trying to taking care of ourselves will in turn keep us able to take care of the ones we love.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, that's the best advice you can live by! I use my high-beams 24/7 and my spots are cranked up a bit and aim out so you can see me real good (amber colored spots - i'm beginning to think they work better than white cuz I never have anyone turn in front of me even though I"m constantly ready for exactly that).

Ride like everyone is out to KILL YOU and you'll be fine.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:38 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do what you can to make cagers notice you. One of my fears is cage not seeing me braking, so I installed a modulator to the brake lights on the tour pack and the HD inline device that make your rear turn signals into brake lights

Arvid

Old 06-07-2007, 11:39 AM
h9ll
Cruiser

That sucks. I felt invisible last night when rolling toward an intersection at about 30 MPH an F-350 decides he wants to be in my lane and got close enough where we almost made contact. Throttled out of that situation and the guy hung pretty far back. I'd like to think he realized what he had almost caused.

Old 06-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Arvid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, view the brake flasher at

http://www.comagination.com/bflasher.htm

Arvid

Old 06-07-2007, 12:21 PM
IamZardoz
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Arizona, where did you get those amber spotlight lenses? They look great.

Old 06-08-2007, 05:58 AM
dlh62c
Advanced

Guys
Let's not forget to have our rider radar on full blast. Always, Always cover your controls when you approach any type of intersection that has a cage sitting at it.Always, Alwaysexpectthem to pull out. Ride with your high beams on in the daytime. You will appear closerto the observer than you really are.
It's likedriving down the lanesin a Wal-Martparking lot, expecting all the while that someone will be driving diagonally acrossthe lot at the same time.They could come from anywhere.Near misses will always happen. You just don't want them tobe a suprise.

Ride Safe/Ride Often/Ride Respectfully
daryl

Old 06-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: IamZardoz

Hey Arizona, where did you get those amber spotlight lenses? They look great.
Just ordered mine from J&P Cycles part #381-520 $16.99 each non-fluted amber spot bulb.

Quick Reply: ride like you're invisible......