Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about bad voltage regulator in 2012 touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Question about bad voltage regulator in 2012 touring

In an earlier post I wrote that my check engine light had come on, was given feedback to check codes because it was likely a bad voltage regulator which the 2012 touring bikes were known for. Checked the codes, got P0563 and b1006/b1007. I called my dealer, he said the P0563 could be a bad voltage regulator, but he wasn't familiar with the b1006/b1007. Anyway I ordered a voltage regulator (go figure the chrome one from HD was $25 cheaper than the regular one). I am waiting for it to come in.

I put the battery tender on, got a flashing yellow which indicates battery not charging. I took out the battery, it is less than a year old, and had it tested. It came back as good. I was worried the voltage regulator overcharging may have screwed up the battery.

I put the batter back in, and with the original voltage regulator still in I ran the bike and put a volt meter at the battery. At RPM the highest it would go was 14.45, which to me is within normal range isn't it? Could it be that if the voltage regulator is bad it is overcharging intermittently, perhaps just when the bike is hot? I also checked around the battery area in the bike and saw no bad cables, chaffing, etc. Battery connections were also tight.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:09 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

max should be 14.8 DC.

if you see higher than that or can measure AC voltage at the battery- you have a bad VR

the lights on the tender can send you down a path of confusion.

even the trouble codes can be influenced pr a response to a bad connection

all the checks are done with a voltmeter and outlined on the tech board, electrical.

battery, VR or stator any bad one can take out the other 2

mike

Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,594 Likes on 974 Posts

the bad voltage regulators were intermittent before they died - yours sounds like it's still got a few charges left in it

Old 06-06-2017, 09:14 PM
T Man
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 42 Posts

Ok thanks. So if battery is good how can I tell if it's the stator or the VR? I'm thinking VR because it is a known issue for the 2012's but just want to be sure.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:23 PM
rblahetka
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by T Man
Ok thanks. So if battery is good how can I tell if it's the stator or the VR? I'm thinking VR because it is a known issue for the 2012's but just want to be sure.
THe regulator crapped out on mine about a month or so ago. Started out as a check engine light, battery light, and volt gauge reading low. It did a few times over a weekend, so I ordered a replacement from amazon. It's been fine since.

Old 06-06-2017, 09:30 PM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by T Man
By performing basic charging system checks listed in the electrical diagnostics manual!

Old 06-07-2017, 12:33 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

My 2012 RGU had intermittent charging issues same as yours. New regulator was the needed fix.

Old 06-07-2017, 01:00 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc
By performing basic charging system checks listed in the electrical diagnostics manual!
what we are trying to help you with is to check and diagnose the problem ad not make it worse.

there are all kinds of guys who just swap parts- that gets expensive if the fault/ cause is elsewhere

for the VR it can be as simple as renewing the ground connection by loosening and retightening the mounting bolts.

but by doing the checks you will know -and you will spend money only where it needs to be spent.

Mike

Old 06-07-2017, 07:23 AM
whyrzwaldo
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless DTC codes have changed since 2008 here's what my list shows:

B1006 - Accessory Line Overvoltage Instruments
B1007 - Ignition Line Overvoltage Instruments
P0563 - Battery Voltage High

To me this is all an indication of a failing VR.

Having the HD service manuals both mechanical and electrical can be $$ saving!

In the meantime...this site will have LOADS of good tutorials on basic electrical troubleshooting in their TECHNICAL link: http://www.cycleelectricinc.com/

No harm in checking the output of the stator prior to installing the new VR.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:43 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,594 Likes on 974 Posts

if you open up the primary it'll be very apparent if the stator went bad - it'll smell like burnt electronics. but that's a messy job, voltage checks would do the same

Quick Reply: Question about bad voltage regulator in 2012 touring