Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting slow on upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:25 AM
ROADRAGE98
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Starting slow on upgrades

I just picked up my new '07 RoadGlide. Within the next few weeks, after break in,I will more than likely want to do some small upgrades. This is my first fuel injected bike. So my questions are these. If I put on a AN Big Sucker kit on and put different pipes on it what do I need to have done to make sure the bike runs good? Any time I do anything with airflow or exhaust do I need to go to the dealer to check it out? Sorry dumb questions I bet, but my last two bikes have been carb. The injection and electronics are freaking me out a little to do customizing.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:56 AM
LDrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Starting slow on upgrades

To make even a stock bike run good you need some type of fuel management device. To meet EPA regsHD's are set up leaner every year. Which one depends on where you plan to go with the upgrades. For just pipes and AC alot of guys go with the 150 buck dealer download, but that alsohas to be EPA approved(still lean).

An enrichment device like the Techlusion DFO, V&H Fuelpac or HD's SE Race Fuelerwill give you some contol over the fuel/air ratio and would be a good pick if you don't think you'llupgrade futher. Although with these you'll probably want the download in addition to raise the rev limiter. If you think cams, headwork or increased displacementare in your future thenthe choice is between the PCIII, Harley's SE Race Tuner(SERT) or replacing thestock ECM completlywith a Thundermax or Daytona.

PCIII is an add on box that altersthe stock ECM fuel ratiosignalsand has more tuning options. I believe it can bump up the revlimiter but you need torun thedownload as a backup so your not way lean if it fails (it happens). It comes with maps to fit most aftermarket upgrades and there is a large number ofDynotuners that are good with it should you decide on a custom map.

HD's SERT is an interface to directlyset the value tables for ignition and fuel ratiosin your bikes ECM so you don't need the download. Nothing stays on the bike so nothing to fail. It has many more tuning options than the PCIII. It also has maps fordifferent set-ups but a good tuner isn't as easy to find. Save the dyno for after all your modsotherwise you'll be paying big bucks with every change.

Replaceing the ECM is the mostbucks but the Daytona unit is a wide band, closed loopsystem that has the ability to self tune with every engine change.Iwould have gone this route if it wasavailable when I choose the SERT/custom dyno map. As that put me within a couple of hunderd bucks of the Daytona.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:40 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree... If your NOT PLANNING on going much further then just the STAG 1 - I would recommend V & H FUELPAK... Price is right and Very User Friendly (Install & set-up 30 min)...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM
erpp
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pcIII is nice also easy install