Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines x pipe

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 02:28 PM
henrystenemeyer2431
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vance and Hines x pipe

has anyone used the vance and hines x pipe on the new milwaukee 8? I am curious how the performance is.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:58 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

the V&H power duals ( which has the 'x') is essentially a no cat header similar to the 09 HD stock 49 State header
the cross under pipe has a similar squish to the HD to keep gas velocity high once the rt side is flowing closer to capacity

in terms of performance there could be a minor minor advantage over decatting a stock header- but I don;t think enough to justify the cost

on the twin cam the cover on the X pipe can contact HARD and relieve traction from the rear tire on a rt hand turn where the suspension compresses ( like a dip in the road) and even more likely on a lowered bike.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-04-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:34 PM
Stick_FSMC
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

I have the V&H Power Duals on my 2012 Road Glide. Like mkguitar said, they are prone to scraping on aggressive right turns. They have been good pipes, but when they finally die, I will probably replace they with the FuelMoto Jackpot.

Instead of stamped sheet metal for the X-Pipe (V&H), the Jackpots use actual pipe for it. They also cant the X-Pipe so that it tucks under the bike and is less prone to dragging.

Just my $0.02 on the subject.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:53 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 442 Likes on 318 Posts

The Screamin Eagle High Flow exhaust system is a 2 1/4" system with a full diameter pipe going under to the left side.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:32 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Stick_FSMC
I have the V&H Power Duals on my 2012 Road Glide. Like mkguitar said, they are prone to scraping on aggressive right turns. They have been good pipes, but when they finally die, I will probably replace they with the FuelMoto Jackpot.

Instead of stamped sheet metal for the X-Pipe (V&H), the Jackpots use actual pipe for it. They also cant the X-Pipe so that it tucks under the bike and is less prone to dragging.

Just my $0.02 on the subject.
I agree totally and went the same route. No dragging with the FM header. Another weak link in the V&H system are the mounting hardware. I had their brackets crack multiple times both the one on the side by the transmission and the one for the cross over on the rear.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:43 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
The Screamin Eagle High Flow exhaust system is a 2 1/4" system with a full diameter pipe going under to the left side.
that would be dandy for a worked on motor and very specific cam choice- a large pipe like that might have poor exhaust gas velocity on a stock motor

the squished crossover on the stock and V&H will be an advantage for most motors.
using a 1.75" pipe would have the gasses flowing fast and aid scavenging

Mike

Old 06-05-2017, 01:18 PM
Stick_FSMC
Tourer
Received 180 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
I agree totally and went the same route. No dragging with the FM header. Another weak link in the V&H system are the mounting hardware. I had their brackets crack multiple times both the one on the side by the transmission and the one for the cross over on the rear.
I haven't had a problem with the mount hardware, but I have had to repair the stamped sheet metal X-Pipe a few times.

Hole in the X-Pipe:

Broken pipe:

Don't get me wrong. I've gotten 67K miles of service out of them and they are still going strong. I've just had to do a few repairs to keep them going.

I'm CHEAP! If I can weld it up for just the cost of materials, I'll do that instead of buying new pipes. New pipes are expensive!

I do know that at some point, there will not be enough material left to repair and I will have to replace them, but until then, I'm good with a welder or torch!

Old 06-05-2017, 01:45 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I've been wondering how much performance any 3rd party header has over a gutted M8 stock header. The dealerships around here will gut M8 stock headers for a couple dollars and cover the bike in their warranty. That's important for me, my wife would not ride my stock 09 Ultra because her foot got too hot. I hear the passenger heat off the M8's are worse.

Buy the way, I have the Rinehart header on my 14 Ultra Limited and I really like it. The Rinehart slip ons are a little loud, but the header is nice.

Beary

Old 06-05-2017, 02:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by beary
my wife would not ride my stock 09 Ultra because her foot got too hot.
only the California and export 2009 models had cats- the 49 State 09's are catless, free flowing

and will support any motor well past 100 hp at no additional cost.

Mike

Old 06-05-2017, 02:23 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Yes, I forgot. It was the 2012 we rented a Ultra on a trip that turned her against the stock headers. I had traded my 09 Ultra for a 2011 RKC by that time. Age is catching up. First thing she asked about my 2014 Ultra was if it had the cat. When I said no, next question she asked was when could we go for a ride. I'm OK with the performance of the new engines, so honestly the heat is the only reason I even consider a catless header.

Beary

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines x pipe