Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

You guys with the Garmin ZUMU 550, help

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 11:12 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default You guys with the Garmin ZUMU 550, help

1. I have been unable to get it to bluetooth link to my Motorola (bluetooth capable) i580 phone. I was able to get it to link to my headset. Was anyone successful with a phone link and if so, what kind of phone?.

2. Also, did you connect the power cord's red and black ends directly to your battery?

Thanks,
Hack

Old 06-06-2007, 11:47 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: You guys with the Garmin ZUMU 550, help

I have paired my PPC6700 and a BlackBerry (dunno the model) to my Zumo550. Both work flawlessly.

One thing ya need to do is set the bluetooth option in the phone to something like "make visible" before trying to pair it with the Zumo. Normally, the phone is the "master" in it's pairings, while in this case the Zumo is the Master.

Wiring it to the battery is OK, but it will but an "unswitched" source. I wired mine to the back of the cigarette ligher, but you don;t have one. If you don't have anything wired to the accessory circuit under the seat, that would work too.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:52 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks Phil,

I did a HD FOrum Search and came across these directions for wiring it so that it is portable. It should work.

1. REMOVABLE HARDWIRE HOOK-UP GARMIN ZUMU 550:

The bike's cigarette lighter socket under the left side of the fairing works fine as a source for 12VDC.

The West Marine cigarette lighter plug Model 6867899 from here is a good choice to make this connection: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...key=SiteSearch this is a premium plug with good side connection wire terminals in it that you don’t have to solder.

Cut the hardwire to the length you need after making a trial fit first.

Strip about 1\4" of insulation off the red and black wires.

Take the plug apart by removing the one screw on the outside, the rubber retainer in the wide groove towards the front and the knurled nut on the power end. Once inside loosen the two screws on the end where the wire comes in, slide the wire thru the rubber boot and under the little bracket inside the plug, loosen the two terminal screws and slide your stripped wire ends in to the holes below the screws, do not put the wire directly under the screw heads. Connect the red wire to the red terminal and the black wire to the other terminal.

If you use this setup you are good to go for using your Zumo on another bike (rental etc.) and it does not leave a dangling wire if you remove The Zumo motorcycle mount from your bike. If you mount the Zumo on the right side hadlebar and have a three pocket windshield pouch the wire tucks in and hides very nicely behind it.

Using this setup allows you to also easily remove the Zumo and cradle together or just the cradle from the bike. If the cradle is wired in permanently it is a pain to remove it if you have secured the hard wire mounting screws at the connector.

NOTE:

a. Be sure to replace the 10A fuse that is in the West Marine plug with a 2A fuse.
But I ain't cutting any wires at first. I'm gonna wire the whole length to the plug and see if the 550 comes on - if it does, then I'll go ahead and do it the way described above.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 PM
BadAzz Electraglide
Tourer

I wired mine to the extra lead under my fairing works like a charm. I have a Samsung phone that paired flawlessly like phil said the phone has to be set to visable.

Old 06-06-2007, 11:58 PM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Oops, I mean Zumo 550, not Zumu.

Hack

Old 06-07-2007, 12:00 AM
BadAzz Electraglide
Tourer

make sure that the battery Icon disappears while in the cradle this is prrof that you are on cradle power and not battery power. THought this may help

Old 06-07-2007, 12:16 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

Hey guys, I just read the user manual for my phone and it talked about the discover thing you all told me about. I didn't know that the phone was the passive partner and the Zumo was the active partner in the pairing. I'm gonna have to re-read the part about the PINs of the devices. Both the phone and the Zumo are brand new to me.

Oh, yeah, with the Zumo on battery power, no Bluetooth enabled, shouldn't it be "talking" out loud. I drove around with it this evening and it worked fine, but did not talk. (Crap, I suspect now that I may have had the volume tuned down). I'll check that ou tomorrow. My Garmin 330 talks out loud to me and figured the 550 would, too. (but is not Bluetooth)

BadAzz, for the bike, the 550 didn't come with a cigarette lighter plug-in charger. For the bike, it appears that my only option is to hardware it. Even with the cigarette lighter plug-in I rig up, it (I thank) will still think it is hooked to my battery. I'm not sure if that will charge it or not.

Hack

Old 06-07-2007, 12:19 AM
btefft
Outstanding HDF Member

BadAzz, I just realized what you meant about being sure the unit is in cradle power (meaning the plug-in worked) or battery power (meaning my rig isn't working).

Thanks for that tip.

By the way, how is your brother doing? Hope he is good to go.

Hack

Old 06-07-2007, 12:30 AM
BadAzz Electraglide
Tourer

btefft,
Bro is getting around, have to take him to a follow up appointment tomorrow. Should know more then. Thanks for your concern hope you get all the bugs worked out of your Zumo. It is a great tool for the road has saved me quite a few times already.

Badazz

Old 06-07-2007, 06:43 AM
tizone
Tourer

wish I could help... mine went completely dead after 2 days and it hasn't even seen the bike yet. Seems like it's not an uncommon occurance from reading the Zumo board.

They have another one on the way.... I hate crap that doesn't work the way it should...

Quick Reply: You guys with the Garmin ZUMU 550, help