Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12V power inside fairing options

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2017, 01:35 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 12V power inside fairing options

I'm looking to clean up some of the messy look of my jerry rigged phone mount on the fairing of my 2005 Ultra Classic.
I wanted to mount my phone right in the center to use it for GPS, music, etc.
I went with the IronAces Street Glide Mount. It was exactly what I wanted. I will include a future so you can see what I mean.

So far, I have just used a USB cigarette lighter plug in the lower left cigarette lighter if the fairing. I plug my cell phone charger in there, and the wrap the cord around my handlebar enough times to take up all the extra cord, leaving enough to plug into the phone while it's on the mount. Works fine, except it looks shabby with the cord wrapped around the handlebars.

I want to tap into a 12V, ignition on, power source INSIDE the fairing and run the cord out in the closest spot to the center mount, to the phone.

Has anyone else done something like this?

I have an iPhone 6 Plus that I mount in the x-grip mount on its side, with the charge port on the left. You can see how the charge cable is wrapped around the handlebar.

I don't want to drill a hole for the cord to come out directly under the mount, although it would be the cleanest looking option. I just hate the idea of drilling a hole in my fairing.
So the cord will probably come out where the handlebar does.

Anyone else have a suggestion??

Thanks for the help.

Old 06-02-2017, 01:43 AM
CookUltraClassic
Cruiser
Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

I forgot to mention, I went with the MTX blue tooth controller mounted on my handlebar. The power is routed along the left handlebar into the fairing where I tapped the back of the cigarette lighter I mentioned.
I plan to find a way to hardwire an AUX input to the back of the stock HD stereo and route the AUX input cord the same way as the power cord.
Ive heard there is a way to do that.

I love the MTX Bluetooth controller. I just mount my phone, start the music app, and I'm ready to go. After I start the bike I just hold down the play/pause button and it turns on the unit and once on, automatically pairs with my phone. Then you just push the play/pause button, or skip tracks.

Before I was reaching up and trying to skip tracks with the touchscreen on my phone and it was distracting and dangerous. This way, my focus stays on the road. Highly recommend it.

Old 06-02-2017, 04:38 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

There's terminals on the cigarette lighter, easy to put a ring lug on them.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:10 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Might still have to do some drilling, but this is a panel mount USB power https://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php . You can place it on top behind the X-Grips and has a waterproof cap. Get a short lightning cord for the iPhone for a clean look.

Old 06-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

I have a dual usb shortie plug in the cigarette lighter. Cords go into my fairing through the clutch cable hole and out eac side and along the side of the windshield. As I have T-bags up there, you don't see any wires.

Old 06-02-2017, 09:37 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

You can drill a hole in the fairing and fill it with a rubber blanking grommet at a later date, if and when you remove your mount. As for electrics, take power off the rear of the cigarette lighter socket or accessory switch. On both my Buell and Sportster I have taken power for a gps off the lighting circuit - the extra power consumed is tiny.